Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/4 (Read 358 times)

Yes Yes, which book did you read? MTA: WRFB...you're joking right? you know he runs the Lydiard foundation...he's all Lydiard.
    Oops, didn't realize that. I guess I haven't been paying attention, or maybe that was mentioned before I showed up. (and I thought I was being so clever to notice Smile ). But it's pretty cool that you are training with him. I read "Running with Lydiard", and I also have "Distance Running for Masters". I have to admit that the assumption that folks will run 160 km/week (100 miles) is a bit off-putting, but otherwise there are some ideas I might consider incorporating into my training. 3.1 miles, 28:51, 9:13/mi, AHR 133 (68% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

I didn't know that either Lou. 100 miles a week, sounds like he works with people who are already elite level and whose bodies are up to that kind of pounding. I thought you were pretty clever figuring out Nobby and Lydiard, so I give you props. I don't read the swamp, so no clue what Nobby says, although from what I read here, he is a pretty knowledgeable guy.
        100 miles a week, sounds like he works with people who are already elite level and whose bodies are up to that kind of pounding.
        Oh, good. Thought I'd killed the thread somehow Roll eyes My wife was reading "Distance Running for Masters" and when she got to the 100 mi/week bit, gave the book back to me. She said that clearly the book isn't written for her. Having said that, I believe Lydiard doesn't really believe everyone is going to run 100 miles/week. But he did train some of the best, and got the best out of them, so he wants the books to address them as well as normal people (as if we're normal Tongue). I think he says that, but like I said, it is a bit off-putting.

Hail to The Victors!

Well, I had no clue that Nobby ran Lydiard, so no one should feel bad at all. I figured he was some sort of celebrity considering how Bugs was excited about running with him, but I wasn't sure what for. Now I know! 6 tempo w/ 4 warmup miles @10K/LT yesterday. 6:39/mi, just what the doctor ordered. 10 easy today, though easy I guess was 8:04s, which really wasn't that easy. Gotta learn to modulate myself on those easy days. That's the last of the weekly 10s,one more on Tuesday next week, and it's all down hill from here.

Dave

Nice run, Jeremy. Self control will get more important as you slide into your taper. Big grin Tough work day for me. No time to run. I'll get back at it tomorrow.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

10 hilly miles. Mentally it was a tough run since it was hot and humid and I was very very thirsty and not used to the humidity. Physically other than a few breathing issues from the humidity it felt great. I actually enjoyed the run other than non stop thinking of wanting something to drink. I was a little suprised at how little I sweated during the run. Shorts were bone dry and my shirt was barely wet. Can't believe just a little over a week until my marathon. CAN"T wait! Speaking of marathon GOOD LUCK BUGS AND SHANNON!! Have fun at Fargo!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Happy Camper

Easing back into core work. 8& change this morning. Can't decide which would be better tomorrow, rest or easy run. Easy run will most likely win out. Picked up the run bag today. This is the largest event we have in town for running. Nice route. Starts downtown, through campus, turn around at the stadiums. Shan & Bugs: Good luck at Fargo!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

Great running as always you all. I knew that Nobby ran Lydiard, but only b/c Bugs told me. Smile I ran 1/2 mile repeats... 3:25, 3:30, 3:35, 3:39- warm-up and cool down totaled 5 miles. Ever really feel the need to run hard? Kids were driving me bonkers today.... which is not the norm for us. Smile So, I felt I must go and kill it... but I should have run more miles. Just didn't want to push it with my ITB. Lots of races coming up for Team Blister this weekend and next.

Bugs

WRFB don't feel bad, I really have been shy about the whole thing. Hym...did I say who is coach me, no I didn't Smile But..Nobby is head of the Arthur Lydiard Foundation. Years ago he moved to New Zealand to train under Arthur. Later he was trained as a coach under him. Nobby is considered the top expert in the world on Lydiard, a training method easily misunderstood. He's considered one of the "who's who in the running world" and just plain cool. Why would he help somebody like a middle pack runner?" Oh she probably asked and then and guilted him with a lots of christmas cookies. I can tell you I feel so good training this way. Perhaps I've just taken the stress of myself by just running zen-fully and not worried about the pace so often. I know now my legs needed strength training, maybe more than we had time for. I'm convinced most slower runners would do better to run by time under the same rules I was given. I look at the logs of fast runners, and they are actually following the time guidelines, probably by accident. I'm stoked about running the Fargo marathon on Saturday. Wish my calves would loosen up. If I DNF or end up walking the end it's because it was more than I wanted to do for a training run. Seems unlikely though. I am very excited to meet JellyFish.

Bugs

And here I am spelling his name wrong and everything Roll eyes . That's pretty cool, Bugs. Are you neighbors? Does he work with you in person or through email? I definitely want to work in some of that hill training into my program. I have hills in the neighborhood which can be used, I think -- the book said something about three to one, which I think means a 33% grade which would be hughly steep, but it also says find what you can. One of my issues is heel lift, so I'm sure I'm wasting effort. There are a couple of schools of thought on this - a) fix it so you don't waste so much effort pulling your leg forward, and, b) don't change your gait because it could lead to injury. But maybe some of the hill drill would just naturally change my gait or make my push-off more springier, and if gradual enough not lead to hurting myself. (One of my friends DNS'd Boston -- he attributes it to over-enthusiastic hill training -- I try to be pretty careful) My two fastest marathons were after following the Pfitzinger plan religiously. I'm sure there's a lot of overlap between all of these plans, though -- like mikeymike says, run a lot, mostly easy, some hard. 7.1 miles, 56:27, 7:59/mi, AHR 155 (79% MHR)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Since we signed up for Balt. as my wife's first mara, she wants to do some hillwork between now and then, so I anticipate some hill repeats. Maybe they'll be weekly, I dunno.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Hey I never posted pictures of my son's 5k a couple weeks ago. It's called the Run-A-Muck and is a fundraiser for the soccer club. Here's DS2 (in the hat and black shirt) and his friend (who is our team's goalie, and DS2 is center defense) coming up the last big hill. It was so icy, a lot of runners slipped and fell. They walked a lot of it because his friend had a sore foot. Here they are at the end. DS2 is the goofball on the right. Here's the soccer field at the school where the race starts and ends. It's all dried off now... last week's mid-70's temp got rid of the snow in a hurry. But this was just two weeks ago. I don't like this race. Too muddy (they go through some really nasty parts in the woods before that last hill) for my liking. The winner finished in like 19 minutes or something. (the boys finished in almost exactly 30 minutes, both had the same time... I teased them about holding hands to cross the finish line!)
                          theyapper

On the road again...

Nice pics. I was off yesterday and stayed away from the forums - I'm sure I've missed plenty and don't have time today to catch up. I did get a easy 4.5 miles in today. Tomorrow I run a local 5K with my whole family. It'll be the first 5K for each one of them. We are bib #s 6-10!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Hey Erika! Thanks for the pictures.... those boys are too cute. Can't believe that was two weeks ago with all that snow! Paul- how awesome that the whole family can run a 5K together.... hope you all enjoy yourselves. Off day for me.
                              Cashmason

Longest ride evah. Bit over a metric century = 100 kilometers = 62.5 miles. Actual miles 64.4 4 hours 15 minutes, with lots of stopping or slowing down for traffic lights. Lots of hills, lots of wind, lots of cars. Abbie was down from Nor Cal, and training for her next Ironman. She wanted company on the ride, she kicked my butt. However she is good company.