Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/13/2010 (Read 136 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We're getting snow. Wife is thrilled. Myself, not so much.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Snow is ok, right up until it stops being ok.  I think when it gets in the way of running is where I draw the line.  Smile

3 easy miles for me this morning.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

We got a dusting of snow last night.  Just enough to make my kids excited, not enough to cancel school.  Perfect!

2.2 recovery miles for me.  Legs aren't back to normal yet, but I'm amazed that I just ran 2 days after my marathon.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Nice to see you running without too much trouble, Paul.  Not sure if you looked at the end of last week, but I had my answer for your question on ecaps there, as of this morning.

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, Lou.  I hadn't gone back to see that, so I'd have missed it for sure.  When you take them in a race, do you just make sure to take them at the water stops when you do take them?  I'm just thinking about how hard it is to chew even gummy bears for me after mile 16 or so.  I'd hate for a capsule to get stuck in my throat!  I can just see myself trying to get that thing down when I'm tired. Shocked

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

9mi in cold windy conditions, but was very bundled up, and cold didn't bother me. Ready to eat now.

Kimmie

Attempted 16 miles yesterday... Made it to 12, my knee started hurting, so I stopped and called DH, who picked me up. He said, I can't believe you didn't make it 4 more miles. I was being smart, I think, to stop.

Yes, smart move, Kim.  You know how to listen to your body.

Paul, yeah water stops.  They're big caps and you can't chew them.  My friend puts them in a water bottle he carries for a while (salty).  That works but after that water's finished you'll be timing the water stops.  You have to do that for gels anyway, right?  I do gel first, then the ecaps, with water.  It's a bit of juggling.

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, again, Lou.  I noticed on the Hammer site that the accept referrals.  Do you have a number I can put in and will it give you some kind of discount?  You may get yours somewhere else, too.  Just thought I'd ask before I order.

Paul

thanks, I ordered my last batch from http://www.runningwarehouse.com for $19.95.  Not sure if it was a good price or not.  I was hoping to get a running club discount but that didn't work for some reason.

9.2 @ 8:15 with a buncha striders

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, Lou.  I ordered some from running ahead.  On sale for 15.95, used a code for another 15% off of that.

Paul

evanflein

I use the S caps (Succeed) and ordered them a couple years ago... got a discount on two bottles so I probably have a 5 year supply. How do you carry them so they don't disintegrate en route? I usually have a couple that just fall apart, leaving a salty powdery dust over everything. I take 2 before I start, then a gel at about mile 7, then S caps (when I remember) a couple miles later, repeat every 6-7 miles. That's if I'm on top of things. I frequently forget my S caps entirely and end up really wishing I hadn't.

5.4 miles on the treadmill last night with 3 x .2 mile bits @ 7:30 pace. I'd sure like to work those up to half mile repeats, then mile repeats. I did that in 2008 training for the Ragnar relay I did in AZ. I can't imagine doing that now. But... that's the plan for this winter: work on speed again. It's been a long time.

Perry, I'm with you. The snow does nothing for me.

Glad to see Paul venturing out. It is fun to see you get better and better with this running stuff. Smile

Kimmie, another vote for smart.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm no expert, but for stamina, I'd guess you'd be better off working your pace down rather than working the distance up -- I mean, progress down from 0.5 @ 7:50 one week to 0.5 @ 7:40 the next week, etc. With short recoveries.

I say that cause I think more rest & faster pace are more for sharpening raw speed.

evanflein

Hmm, good idea. I was keeping the speed between 7:50 and 7:30 for most of this stuff, and increasing the distance. But I really don't know what I'm doing, just mixing stuff up. When you're logging a lot of miles on a treadmill in the garage, it's really important to keep throwing things out there (incline, speed, etc) to keep the interest up. Otherwise, it becomes total dullsville and I think of other things I'd much (much) rather be doing.

I'd like to go into the spring racing season ready for some zippy 5k's (even though I hate that distance) and I'd like to do better at our mile race (on a track) in July. Just some different goals to work on... By mid-summer I'm working on hills and distance again, so some faster stuff in the spring might be fun. Just thinkin'

theyapper

On the road again...

Back from 3 miles of recovery running.  I kept thinking while I ran that I am in a good place right now.  I'm running without soreness 3 days out from the marathon and the race seems more like a really long run to me.  I think I'm just much more like, "well, what's next?"  I like that.

Paul