Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/13/2010 (Read 136 times)

Erika asked how I carry the ecaps.  I put them in sandwich baggies, the foldover kind, but I twist it tight close to the pills.  I use the sandwich baggies because they're pretty soft, although sometimes it's a bit of fiddling to get two out.  When I'm training I carry another sandwich bag to put my spent gel packages in, but at a race since I'm getting water right after the gel, I toss it at the water stop.

One time I misjudged the water stop, and I put one capsule in my mouth too early.  I took it out, held it in my hand, then put it in my mouth again when I saw the water stop.  At this time, it promptly exploded in my mouth in a white foggy, salty mess.  Not funny at the time, but pretty funny in retrospect.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Erika:

Well, I think the idea of doing anything that makes it more fun,  is a very good idea. And mixing it up probably helps exercise more muscles and stuff.

Later in the spring, starting a month or two out from your 5Ks, you might start throwing in some workouts conventionally considered apt for 5Ks.  Again, I'm not experienced at this, and am just making stuff up, and there are others far more experienced, but for example maybe some repeat 800s with short rest, at 5K goal pace, or slightly faster, starting with say 4 of them and moving up to 6 of them, and then extending distance - to 4x1200, and then to 3x1600.(I think 3x1600 at 5K pace with short rest is pretty tough.)

MTA: Someone somewhere else on RA just linked to a serious article on 5K training, which mentions something I forgot -- training at goal effort not goal pace -- and has a lot of suggestions: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19258

===

Ran w DW this afternoon. She found it too cold & windy for intervals, so did tempo, but only lasted one mile before she had to stop b/c it was too hard to breathe. Then went down to local track and ran a few more miles with another running partner. I think I'm kind of adjusted to the cold windy weather. However, I am going to upgrade to thicker gloves pretty soon, b/c my little fingers, and also tonight my thumbs, are starting to get cold.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Thanks Perry. I printed that off for future reference. And 3x1600 @ 5k pace is starting to sound an awful lot like a 5k race...

I think Pfitzinger has interval training with 1000 to 1600m sessions over time, all at 5k pace, for marathon training.  The total number of meters run is generally around 5K, e.g., 5x1000, 4x1200, 3x1600, with intervals about 90 seconds to 2 minutes.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, we've done a variety of interval sets with total distance in the order of 3-4mi -- some simple ones like 4x1200, others were pyramids -- eg, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800. It's nice going down a pyramid, or down the second half of one, b/c it's nice when each one is shorter Smile

Bugs

The first marathon I attempted to use S-Caps it was POURING and POURING rain. They were mush in my pocket. Made me laugh.

Smart move Kim, sorry about the knee.

Perry, I really like gloves brand Serius, they make skiing gloves, but love their liner like glove, very light works great for even 10F. Spendy, of course.

Oh do we have a mother load of snow. Got over 12 inches last weekend and 6 more on the way tonight. Not to mention we had freezing rain before the snow, and it has been bloody cold. If I could run during the day I would, but side walks are not cleared of snow yet.

Bugs

Yeah, you don't want to let the ecaps/scaps get too wet, that's for sure.

Nice, somewhat speedy run this morning: 9.1 miles @ 8:20/mi pace.  Felt great!

theyapper

On the road again...

Keep ecaps dry.  Check.

3 recovery miles this morning in the slush.  Felt ok.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Hawt and sexy

I is alive.

My salt pills go into the small pill ziplocs that you get at the drug store.

When I do Pfitz, my fist set of intervals is usually closer to 10k pace. They get faster as the season moves on.

I am going home for xmas. This means I get to eat real meat and taco pizza. Yum.

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Couple inches snow on the ground. First time we ran on a local trail through the woods since last winter. It was fun. Except where there was ice under the snow, and we both went down -- but no injuries. At least it was never boring.

Happy Camper

I is alive.

My salt pills go into the small pill ziplocs that you get at the drug store.

When I do Pfitz, my fist set of intervals is usually closer to 10k pace. They get faster as the season moves on.

I am going home for xmas. This means I get to eat real meat and taco pizza. Yum.

Happy Joes?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Hawt and sexy

Nope. Sad Happy Joes closed in my hometown and surrounding area. I have to settle for Pizza Ranch.

I'm touching your pants.

Happy Camper

Sad  Maybe a shake at Maidrite?  The ice cream was better than the sandwiches.  I miss Whitey's, Village Inn  and the Iowa Machine Shed Resturaunt.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Hawt and sexy

Ok, at maid-rite there will be a cheeserite with everything but mustard. If we go back, a tenderloin. And instead of the Machine Shed, I will probably go to Kinfolk in Attica for massive quantities of smoked meat. I am getting so hungry for real meat.  There are also a couple of local places that can't be missed. Jaarsma Bakery and then Smokey Row. Oh, and cinnamon rolls. Yum. And the pizza back home is so good. I live in a tri-state area that has crappy pizza. They like to think they are real Italians and do it the right way. Um, no. It's icky. Pizza sauce should not taste like sugar and basil. It's kinda gross. 

OMG. Does drool kill keyboards? By the time I leave home, I will have probably come close to ODing on real meat. And I won't be able to eat PA meat for about a month. It will taste funny, kinda like it was leftover from last night.

The manslave asked if they wanted Omaha Steaks for xmas back home. I said nope. The stuff in the grocery store was better so don't waste the cash on it.

I'm touching your pants.

evanflein

I have no idea what you people are talking about. We have none of that here.

I did a nice workout at lunchtime today... 4 miles on the elliptical, half mile walk and then about 15 min U/B weights. Was thinking of running after work, but that just didnt't work out. Oh well. That's why tomorrow was created, right?