Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/21 (Read 219 times)

3.2 miles, 29:44, 9:24/mi, AHR 136 (66% MHR)

They finally plowed late yesterday.  So this morning was very icy in places - mixture of a bit of dry pavement (not much), mostly packed snow,  a bit of slush, and the ice - should have used yaktrax.  Not sure if I'll be able to run fast on this surface later this week.

A couple of pics from yesterday's run (before plowing, obviously).  PDR was doing her balancing act in the tire track.  Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

WOW Lou! Nice pictures Smile

Well I won't be running or doing anything else but sitting on the damn couch until I get whatever is going on with my neck,back and right shoulder under control. Had to take a full dose of Flexeril as well as a massage with Bio Freeze (thanks to dh) in order to get to sleep. I was in so much pain I was nauseous and didn't even eat dinner. I'm feeling a de ja vue of my neck injury from 2001. I'm not going to the doctors since I know exactly what they will do and the measures they will take. BTDT. If massages, heat/cold therapy, meds and rest don't  start helping over the next few days I'll think about going after the New Year.

Youngest DS is sick. He was running a 102 fever yesterday so DH can't go to work. He called the health care desk at his work and they gave him 2 options. Take ds to doctor and get a release saying he doesn't have the flu or don't go to doctor and no going to work until 5 days after onset of initial symptoms. Hmmmmmmmm what would you do? lol Anyway he's taking it day by day. He's working from home and if Frankie is fever free all day today and in the am tomorrow and feeling up to going to school he'll go and dh will probably go to work. Works for me.

Please send my shoulder/neck and arm some healing vibes please!!!!  Now that my foot seems better I really want to get back running.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Pam,

Sounds like you have it rough. Lots of healing vibes to you. Maybe a good time to get some quality relaxation time in with the kiddos.

We have 18 inches of snow coming.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Great photos Lou Smile

Hope you enjoy your whiteout spell, Bugs.

Pam, very sorry to to her that; hope it's knots that relax under heat/massage (but what do I know).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Ha, silly me. I'm so out of it I posted today's post on last week's thread. Oh well. It can stay there.

Pam, I sure hope you guys all get better soon! That sucks when one thing gets better something else falls apart.

Bugs, what storm is headed your way? Sure seems to be lots of them rolling through the country. Funny thing... two days ago it was -30° here. Today it's about zero here and almost +20° at home! Downright heatwave, I tell ya! Just as long as things don't start melting, we'll be ok.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Not too much melts at 20F, as far as I can tell, and we've recently been experimenting with that subject here.

PS: That's a pretty tricky insole arrangement. What led you to trying mismatched? (Just cause I don't think I'd think of trying that.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

Erika,

When you run on snow you use screw shoes? They are really not sure where it is going to hit but it has got me concerned about our Christmas travel plans to ND. I am organizing a Christmas Lights fun run tomorrow night, I'm guess maybe two people will show up.

Bugs

Thanks everyone!!  I'm a little scared that when I did further damage the bad discs in my neck. This really bites! My poor sick little boy who LOVES to cuddle to me can't even cuddle to me right now and I HATE that! Guess I shouldn't complain since I've had a few great years after being given a list a mile long of things I would never do (lifting weights was one of them and I'm sure if they had thought about it a marathon (let alone 100 mile race) would have been there too.

GOOD LUCK BUGS with the storm coming!

Happy Holidays everyone! Hope you all have a MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Cashmason

Healing vibes to Pam.

Anyone else think that Erika looks like Andrea Kremer...  the sideline announcer at some pro football games.

Or should I say Andrea looks like Erika.

Ran 4 miles with the mutt.   3 miles were great at 9:05 pace.  Last mile she was like and anchor,  dragging behind me, which means she is tired.

Off to teach cycle in a bit.

Erika is better looking.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Erika is better looking.

+1

Hang in there Pam. You're just in a rough patch.

5 slow miles on the TM. So very sore from P90X squats.

Bugs

Bugs

I'm even more sore today. Crap this is going to affect my run. Walked the boys down to the bus and I could think about was I want to run in this fluff.

Bugs

evanflein

Hmmm, I have no idea who Andrea Kremer is, but thanks, I guess.

Perry, I've tried everything. The problem is I've got a perfect (IMO) left foot that loves nothing more than a little bit of cushion in a nice neutral shoe, and it's happy to go the distance, whatever that may be. Then I have this funky cranky right foot with a hammer toe and sore arch. Everything pisses it off. I've tried the metatarsal pad and it helped in the acute stage, but now it's healed enough that the pad just caused problems for the other bones nearby. The arch got inflammed in my last race (I think... or a little later?) and now it seems to need "some" arch support, which I've never needed or liked before. But too much is really too much. Not enough is really not enough. So I've been trying all sorts of variations... and that one seemed to work. Can't use the newest extra support insoles because they're too built up. I feel like I'm running in high heels. So these older, less built-up insoles seem to be the good compromise. I'll add that this works in my older Speedstars with the regular cushion insole in the left foot. Other shoes might require other arrangements. Yes, it's complicated.

Bugs, no I've never worn screw shoes. I've got plenty of old shoes I could probably do that to, though. I do have "spiky's" which are rubber things that stretch over the bottom of the shoe with carbide spikes in them. They're getting pretty old and worn down. I don't use them much anymore though... they press on my toes and hurt my toenails sometimes. I just try to go very carefully on the slick polished intersections, and run on the packed snow or pavement as much as I can. I don't run in deep snow... that's an ankle injury waiting to happen.

So.... 40 minutes of pool running after work. Probably ready to phase out a lot of that, I've been doing it 2-3 times a week most weeks lately and almost getting to enjoy it (yikes). But I'm hoping (fingers crossed!) that I can start building my mileage and run more than 2 days in a row soon.

Get better soon, Pam! Sorry to hear about this setback, but an enforced rest might be a good thing. You've had a wonderful year of running!!

Bugs

Erika,

I think it is easier to run on packed snow than walk, but it is harder on my legs than running on the dry ground.

Saw my chiropractor today, had deliver x-mas presents and got my calves, achilles, and ankle all a workover. I had not seen him in a long time, and he was very impressed that I've figured out how to train, not get injured and am improving my race times. We both credit it to not running a fall marathon, and not having a big race where I felt I need to get that long run in instead of resting/recovering. He was impressed with my four mile race, that I could place 4th woman and thought that was a pretty awesome time, and I know I could have ran faster if I had rested more. He asked that  I 'consider' not running marathons, and just that I might be a better 5K or half marathoner, and be able to race them versus just complete marathons. I think he just doesn't want me to run so great in the winter, be injured in the spring and disappointed. I told him I would at least wait to register for Fargo full. I'm really not looking for advice, I know it is my body, my decesion, but just wanted to share.

Bugs

Cashmason

Well that was a pretty amazing 4 mile race Bugs!  Congrats.