Marathon Trainers

4/28-5/4 (Read 210 times)

Bugs

Bugs - I TOTALLY value you as an evil necessity! Glad the tests were negative!!!! I hope you are done too. Half is June 14th.
    Not evil, but usually right. Smile

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

I agree!! It was you who inspired zen running haha
        Well, I made the 400 mile trek north to Lincoln yesterday and am now chilling in the hotel room. I woke up at 6:30 this morning and cussed myself until 6:45 because I couldn't fall back asleep. So, I went out and jogged a couple of easy miles just to knock the rust off from the drive yesterday. It's amazing how much flexibility you lose after sitting in the car for 7 hours. Oh well. My parents get here in about a half hour, then we'll head to the expo. Not sure if I mentioned it, but my dad was going to run the full with me, but had an issue with ITBS a couple of months ago, so had to cut mileage for a while. Now he's just doing the half, and at whatever pace feels good. I'm pumped that he's going to get to run something. He was so bummed when he realized he wasn't going to be able to do the full. His was definitely a case of too much, too soon. What is really rough, he had already done one of his 20s. Oh well, it'll be easier for the fall marathon he wants to run in Tulsa this fall. I already told him I'd pace him at whatever speed he wants to run, so that'll be cool. I thought I was antzy this week, but it's worse now. My body just wants to cut loose with a good long run. Guess that happens tomorrow. Forecast is for 38 tonight, warming to the 60s tomorrow. I'm guessing it will be close to 40 at the start, maybe mid-upper 50s at the end, 5-10 MPH winds. Sure can't complain about that! OK, enough babbling. Can you tell I've got a bit of anxiety? It's all the good kind. I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow or Monday. -Brian

Oh Mighty Wing

GOOD LUCK BRIAN!!!!!!! You are going to do great!!!!!!
            Hey all. 1/2 marathon day tomorrow. Feeling pretty good. My 8 mile run last weekend went well, so Im gonna go out strong and see how long I can hold it. 2 hours would be great, but Im expecting more like 2:08. Good Luck Brian.. Happy running all.
            evanflein

Hey HuskerBrian, too bad about your dad not being able to run with you, but that's pretty cool that they came up for the race! You sound appropriately nervous and on edge, must mean you're going to have a good race. Yep, your long run comes due tomorrow so chill for now and have some good pre-race eats! Murphy, good for you on doing the half! What one is it? I hope you surprise yourself... Bugs, good news to close the door on that one. Freaky thing, still though if you ask me (not that you did, but I'm sayin' it anyway). 5k race today. Totally sucked. Well, ok, not totally, but I sure didn't get the time I wanted. My 5k pr is from this race last year, 22:30. I was so hoping for a sub-22 but I've been tired and draggy all week. No change today... went out good and strong. Don't think I was too fast as first mile was 7:06, but it went to crap after that. Ok, not total crap. Just sorta crappy. Final time was about 23 minutes, maybe 23:05 or so. Won't know official time till tomorrow (it'll be in the paper, are we the only town that still does that??), but I bet I didn't even get in top AG placings. Oh well. Legs feel like I PR'd a tough marathon 12 days ago. Go figure. Came home and after raking some leaves in the yard (why do we have such a flippin' huge yard??), I went out for another 5k on my hilly roads here at home. Nice day, had to run even though my legs wanted to take a nap. With my warm up before the race, got me almost 7.5 for the day. Good enuf.

Bugs

Brain, Best of luck on your marathon. During your race think of how you're going to have to follow up with us on how it went. That always get me going. You had great training and in great health, thus a great race. Left, Right, repeat a few times and you're at the finish line. Murphy, Burn rubber on that half. Erika, That's still a pretty great 5K time, your legs are recovering my dear. They can't all be PRs if your going to race every month. About the heart thing, I know how I felt before it happened, if I start feeling like that again I'm going to haul my butt to the doc. V. GOOD run of 17 miles nice and slow in 2:45, 9:55 pace. The wind was so bad that I went over 10 minute miles a couple of times but ended with an 8:30 mile. Legs felt great, could have easily ran more, but I need some good pace runs this week. And my cranky shin stayed quiet the entire run! No pit stops despite before it the family went to a Gun Youth day and we ate hotdogs. DS2 (5) won a BB-gun. They were all so happy because I would never let them get one, they all got a safety lecture from Mom. The new boss is in town next week, maybe I'll bring it to work. Show him what a PITA feels like. Smile

Bugs

higa

Good luck Brian, and Murphy996 Erika, I don't know what your training plan is but it sounds to me like you put a lot of pressure on yourself to expect a 5k PR 12 days after a marathon. Just got in from my 30k run........... wet, hungry, bedraggled but really pleased the body held out. 4 weeks to go and this was my biggest week so am pretty happy. 32k run next weekend then the taper. Now just off for a big bowl of meusli and a long hot bath. Right after a long run, life doesn't get much better than this! Happy training

Oh Mighty Wing

Good luck Murphy!! Erika - maybe your legs just forgot how to run anything other than 26.2 miles. Bugs - glad the run went well! Gun youth day sounds fun - wish we had one of those!!! Higa - great job!!!!!
                    evanflein

Ok, I'll stop whining now. 23:05.5 good enuf for first in AG... must've been a slow crowd cuz last year's 22:30 was only good enuf for 3rd... Oh well, I'll take it. DS2 got 17th in his AG, which pleases him to no end because a kid he can't stand got 22nd. Kids are funny. Good long runs there for Bugs (you go, girl!!) with energy to spare and Higa in crappy weather. Kudos to both of you.

Bugs

Shan, You'd be surprised how much free stuff you can find to do with kids. That gun a $60 value and free hot dogs and chips for everybody. DS2 at dinner announced, "We promise not to shoot the cats." Oh no, heaven help the cats. Erika, Thanks. Good to log some distance again. Feel like I should find a HM in June or July because May I still be getting in shape. Need to go north though, too hot here by then.

Bugs

Bugs

Shan, You'd be surprised how much free stuff you can find to do with kids. That gun a $60 value and free hot dogs and chips for everybody. DS2 at dinner announced, "We promise not to shoot the cats." Oh no, heaven help the cats. Erika, Thanks. Good to log some distance again. Feel like I should find a HM in June or July because May I still be getting in shape. Need to go north though, too hot here by then.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - that's good to know because we're going to need free stuff - DH and I tend to be pretty cheap Wink

Bugs

Bugs - that's good to know because we're going to need free stuff - DH and I tend to be pretty cheap Wink
                              LOL. Lot of free stuff out there. Bank customer appreciation day = free hotdogs. Library's always have something going on. Take the kids to the museum. Hell I willl free stuff of the radio ALL the time. It's a game for me. I submitted a picture of my son running to Runner's World, and they want to use the picture on their kid's website. But they want me to write something about his running and I'm at a loss for words. (I know me not able to type, WTH?)

Bugs

Dave

Looking forward to the race reports, Brian and Murph, I know you'll do great. Ran just under 4 to see how my legs would feel. Tweaked up after 1, walked a bit, then kept going to the end. Calf was uncomfortable but it didn't get progressively worst so I saw that as a positive sign. Hoping I don't end having to take another 3 weeks off .

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com