Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/27 (Read 269 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

me walking around London in my wife's jeans.  I thought I'd gained weight.

Heh Smile

Ran long this morning. Wife's goal was 10-15, so we went far enough to estimate we'd hit 15 when we returned from our out & back (with detours). I kept up well until about 12.5mi, at which point I was tired and she was comfortably going at a pace I didn't want to keep up with, so I gave her the car keys -- but actually I did keep her in sight the rest of the way, and she doubled back later -- b/c I was carrying water bottles and she wasn't, and she was ready for more water Smile     That's the first time she's dropped me on a long run; heh. I'm sure I wouldn't have kept going as long by myself - running with someone or chasing someone always helps keep me going.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hail to The Victors!

Yeah, I can also fit in my wife's jeans.  She's all legs (at 5'2") so they are a little high water ish, but you'd be surprised, as I'm a good 9-10 inches taller than her. 

Interval work today, 2 sets of 4x800s at 3-5K pace.  Hit all targets, and felt like I recovered well right up to the very end.  I'm back to feeling like I'm on the cusp of another improvement in performance again, like I did before Bayshore.  We're in Massachusetts/New Hampshire this weekend, so probably no racing, but next weekend I might be meeting up with corland from the swamp in East Lansing for a race.   We're pretty equal in talent level, so it will likely be a competition as well as a race.   We'll see if the breakthrough is for real then.

Bugs

Wow I have much to catch up with.

Jeremy, you are so very fast. Very nice racing.

Erika - have to read yours yet.

Lou - lost fitness. You sure seem like you're running well. Isn't weird how fast a person looses fitness. I try not to think about what use to be easy.

Kim, VERY NICE 18 miles. I envy your running group. I've got a group of friends lately I run lots with and I value them so much.

JellyFish, how about pancakes with fruit on top? I'm reading Jillian Michaels book on Master Your Metabolism. Just started it, but I want to clean up my diet.

Pam, I'll wish I could eat some of those calories you are burning up.

Had an 8 mile fartlek avg pace 8:41 run this morning. Ragnar partner and I run together several times a week. We ran about .75 mile at 7:30-8:00 pace, and .25 mile recovery. I have no idea what the ideal distance for interval running is for ragnar training. It felt like a 10K race effort, and it felt dam good to push the lungs and legs like that.

I got a new headlamp. It's white and pink, and I was excited it matched my sunglasses.  I really do have some stupid blond moments.

Bugs

Kimmie

Bugs, great run!  Yes, it is nice to have a running group... sounds like you have pretty  much the same thing with running partners.

And to all the men who can fit in their wives' jeans... that's crazy to me... let's just say that would not be possible in my house.

Ran a very disappointing track workout tonight and I can't put my finger on what went wrong... I wish I knew... we did mile repeats and my splits were:  7:30, 7:50, (already I was feeling it)  7:55, 8:01

So I went out way too fast, I guess... but I think normally I could have held 7:30s....   It could be i'm just not recovering well.... maybe my nutrition stinks...  I ate a little differently today than usual.  I had more protein...

so, who knows?  Oh well... got to brush this off.

evanflein

Kimmie, was it hot? Were you tired? All sorts of things can cause some lackluster performance. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm a big believer in effort, if you were holding the same level of effort, then that's probably ok. But yeah, I know what you mean. It's aggravating when you know you CAN do something (on a good day) and when you try it it's just not there. Like you said, put it behind you and move on.

Hi Bugs! And blond moments can be just that. No need for an additional modifier.  Sounds fetching! How are you doing? I've missed you. Hey, a group of us from the "Masters" thread are talking about getting together to do the Twin Cities Marathon in 2010... I said I'd probably be there.

Progressive run on the treadmill tonight because it was too smoky to run outside! 2 miles @ 8:49, 2 @ 8:42, 2 @ 8:34, 2 @ 8:27, 2 @ 8:20 and the last .45 @ 8:49. Even though the room felt cool to start, I was a sweaty drippy mess at the end!

(copied those splits right from my log and didn't realize there was no formatting! Just went in and added spaces and punctuation...)

Kudo's to those guys who can wear their wives jeans. Dh will NEVA be able to do that and IF the day ever came SOMEONE SHOOT ME lol

Sorry to hear your intervals didn't go as planned Kimmie. Summer heat has a way with interfering with pace ESPECIALLY when you're looking to run faster then norm.

Nice fartlek Bugs Smile What exactly is a Ragner? I've no clue

Nice progressive runs Erika (those are my fav)

I managed to get out this morning after dropping the twins off at pool. Got in 8 miles. I was sooooooooooo freaken thirsty and sooooooooooooo freaken hot! I lost over 4lbs from that 8 miler.  I've really got to buy me a water bottle to carry (replace the one I lost during my last Ultra) for the runs that I run locally.  Oh and I had my highest milage month EVER and I didn't even realize that until yesterday lol.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

4 pounds, Pam?  Yikes.  That's a huge amount to drop in an 8 miler.

I wouldn't worry too much, Kim.  The heat can do a number on you, particularly on speed work.

First run during work today.  4 miles on the treadmill with 1 @ 8:20.  Not the greatest but a run nonetheless.

Will make sure I can run both days on the weekend.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Thought I'd share an impressive forest fire smoke picture with you guys. This is the fire closest to us, about 30 miles south. The hill you see is called "Wood River Butte" and the fire is actually behind (south of) that butte. It's called the Wood River 1 fire, and is currently around 90,000 acres and growing. My coworker took this from our building on Monday, July 27. It was an amazing sight, with the air crystal clear with good visibility around us and to the east (you can make out the Alaska Range in the background), but the smoke was rising in huge columns and waves from the heat of the fire into the still air. Awesome sight.

Wow.  I'm glad that's far from your house.

No runnign for me today.  Maybe not tomorrow.  Feeling a bit poorly.

Kimmie - everyone's right about the heat.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

337! Woohoo, that's a nice pile of miles.

And cool forest fire shot. Have no idea what I'd feel like, looking from where I lived and seeing that...

MTA: 4lbs/8mi isn't going to work well if you scale that proportionally to 100mi!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Happy Camper

It's been 5 yrs as of today since I last had a cigarette.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Now THAT is a reason to celebrate.

I'm very happy for you Bryan.  I'm sure you're transformed inside and out since then.  

4 miles for me this morning.  HR is very elevated and I'm starting to pay the price for all the time off.  Going to buy my wife a bike this morning.  With the pull behind bike for DD4, we're going to be able to take family bike rides now.  Very excited.

Got on a scale and weight was down 5 pounds.  Confirms the more running - more weight theory.  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Congratulations on a great anniversary Bryan!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Yeah Bryan! That's awesome!

Dave, the family bike ride thing sounds great. I sure wish we'd done more of that when our kids were smaller. Now they have absolutely no interest in biking... or running... with mom.

Very smoky out there, my race "starts" in an hour and I'm still in my jammies. How bad is that? I'm just sure it's going to be postponed due to the smoke. So, I've been browsing around the 'net, drinking coffee, la de da... but I did have my "power breakfast" over an hour ago (ww/sunflower bagel w/p-nut butter) and just need to get dressed. They'll announce what they'll do at 9:30 so I guess I better get going. Will check in later with update (and I foresee another 10 miler on the treadmill today).

theyapper

On the road again...

I got a great 12 miler in this morning up in the northern part of Ohio.  I loved the temps in the low 60s and absolutely NO HUMIDITY!!  Tomorrow I head back to NC where that won't be the case.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul