Marathon Trainers

1/14-4/20 (Read 225 times)

Bugs

Dgb, You might want to check with any chiropractors or physical therapist that your insurance covers. More chiropractors offer the service than I realized. I was lucky to switch to one that was better for my insurance, and a much better doctor. I feel much better today. The run was slow, but probably good for me.

Bugs

Mr. I - That sucks man. Get better. I know you mentioned it a while back, but what are you planning to do, in terms of races? Still going after the full? Bugs - 15 on tired legs. You're tougher than me. Well, it's taper time for me. Had my last 20 miler on Saturday and I could definitely tell my legs were tired from the cumulative miles, but everything else felt great. I suppose that's what the taper's for, right? Making sure the legs are ready for 26.2? I think my body felt cheated last night because I only went 4 miles. I'm actually looking forward to fewer miles, but by next week it might be driving me crazy. By the way, I'm getting really sick of the wind. Everyone else getting this junk? -Brian

Bugs

We've had terrible wind. Was 31 mph last night, but I was in the trees mostly and only bucked it a little. My HM in Fargo is known to be a windy race so I figure it's good practice.

Bugs

evanflein

MrInertia, take it easy, don't push it. Your body has been through the wringer... fighting those viruses can really take it out of you. dgb... oh no that's terrible news for your DW. So sorry to hear that. My DH had some pretty major meniscus repair surgery just before we got married and the recovery from that was pretty rough. Hope she comes through ok. Bugs... 15? Wow, you must be feeling better! A couple weeks ago you couldn't have even considered a run like that. Hope you bounce back well... how are you today? Wind, yeah, we've had more than I like, but not too bad. What I'm hating is this snow and cold temps!!! We got 7" Sunday night/Monday and it's still here! What did melt just re-freezes into slick rutted ice so it's dangerous to walk on much less try to run on it. Just asking for an injury... I did my 10.25 miles on Sunday on nice dry (but chilly) bikepaths, and Monday a.m. everything was covered in snow. So, Monday was a day off anyway and last night I did 5 on my treadmill, sort of a progressive run with first two miles at 8:49, next mile 8:34, last two miles @ 8:20. Felt good, but I really find it hard to keep good form at the slower speeds. I just feel better going a little faster. Hope that holds true for 26.2 miles on Monday... Leaving at 12:45 on Friday, get into Boston around 6 a.m. on Saturday. Not looking forward to that flight, and hoping the Holiday Inn will have mercy on us and let us check in early... I won't be taking my laptop with me, but DH will have his. My Bib # is 19179 (yep, way back in corral #19...) if anyone wants to check up on me... Smile

Bugs

Erika, I feel like my old self again! It's wonderful. Legs feel a little sore today, but ran 4 nice easy just fine. GOOD LUCK AT BOSTON! I'll be checking your results.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Husker - wow I can't believe it's taper time already!!!! that flew by!! Bugs - glad to hear you are feeling so much better!!! You had a real rough patch - it must be nice to see the light again! Erika - GOOD LUCK!!!! worked a track meet today - man it's fun to watch those kids!!

Bugs

Shan, I'll be really happy if the cardiologist tells me I'm done with tests when I see him next week. I have had a headache for four weeks, and today it is gone. Not sure why exactly I'm feeling better but just glad to be back. I am lucky to have such an excellent doctor.

Bugs

Dave

Bugs, great to hear that you're feeling better. As far as my insurance, I don't exactly have insurance (my family does though). I've got to go through the military medical system and don't have much flexibility other than paying my own way. I may just do exactly that though if things don't improve. I'm going to wait until I can push off my toes without any pain before running again. I don't want to turn this into a whine-a-thon so I'm going to stop posting complaints for a while. I'll just say I'm looking forward to running again and will be cross training in the meantime.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Dgb, Think of it like paying for a massage.

Bugs

Cashmason

Glad to hear you are feeling better Bugs. I was assuming you were when I read you were planning on and did 15. Good Luck Erika.
                      evanflein

Thanks you guys. I feel so ready for this race... I guess I'm right at the peak and ready to go... 6 miles on the treadmill tonight. Brisk chilly wind out there, too much ice, bah, who needs it. Nice run on the TM though. I like progression runs. Gets to be a real mind game to see if I can really do the first two miles at 8:49... then I cut 'er loose. Mile 3 and 4 at 8:34, mile 5 at 8:20, mile 6 at 8:06. I really really didn't want to stop, but I did. I've been listening to my son's techno dance music on my iPod... artists I've never heard of before, interesting stuff. Good beat though, and some of it really gets me going!

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - got any names? DH is big into techno and i enjoy some of it... two of the biggest names in the world (at least in the trance genre) is DJ Tiesto and Paul Oakenfold. Me personally i like Gabriel and Dresden. And yes it is really good at pumping you up. Most of it has a standard bpm in it but i don't remember what it is... Bugs - you are right that would be good news! Dave - my PT gave me a stretch that hits right in the middle of my calf right where the toe raise squeeze hits if you'd like me to share i'd be happy to!
                          evanflein

Shan, he really likes ACCUFACE and Basshunter... I can't recall a lot of the others, but the beat is really driving. He also likes Apocalyptica, which isn't techno but something I'd never heard of... cello music to a really good beat. Getting excited... will print off boarding passes this afternoon, finish cleaning and packing tonight... Ack!!

Bugs

Erika, Think of me on "heartbreak" hill and burn some rubber.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Go get'em Erika! They've got you in gate 19 to give everyone else even odds! Duathlon for me tomorrow. 2.5/15/2.5 Supposed to rain.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.