Marathon Trainers

1/14-4/20 (Read 225 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Erika! Rock on with yo bad self! You're the first of us to run Boston if I remember correctly. I finally ran today after nearly two weeks off due to illness. I did 4 miles and,while it felt good to be running again, it was labored. It's going to be one heck of a pull to be ready for Bayshore.

Bugs

Go Erika Go! Doc will be there with you. So excited for you both. Inerita, glad you are feeling a little better. I think you still have a good chance at running Bay Shore strong. Sure looks like a pretty marathon. It is Twin Cities Marathon signup today. It is killing me, not signing up. But I'm going to run Des Moines with P2R. Right P2R?

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr I - glad you are feeling better! Bugs - i bet that was hard. My run was awful and I needed it I think. I went 3.7 instead of the intended 9. I walked 0.6 in the middle where I walked because i just didn't think I wanted to run anymore... and then it dawned on me... i started to hate running when TP started to feel better/met a man who runs/ and MOST importantly started to push herself harder to ... her pushing herself harder means I started to push myself harder because we try to run the same long run schedule so we can run them together. and then with her feeling better she decided she wanted the long runs to be faster... basically the more competitive she becomes the more it kills my desire. This happens with me for some reason... if a friend and I are into the same thing and they become really competitive about it I drop it like a bad habit... anyway so after figuring out what was going on I began to run again and SMILE!!! it felt great!! And I went back to the beginning and then I went home to a strawberry daquari!

Happy Camper

Go Erika Go! Doc will be there with you. So excited for you both. Inerita, glad you are feeling a little better. I think you still have a good chance at running Bay Shore strong. Sure looks like a pretty marathon. It is Twin Cities Marathon signup today. It is killing me, not signing up. But I'm going to run Des Moines with P2R. Right P2R?
          Yes I want to run Des Moines! I'm not signing up until after the Berryman 50 though. (5/17) Feel like I am planning an injury and I'm askeerd at how jacked up I'll be afterwards. I'd like to go for Maniac status. Heart of America on 9/1, Lewis & Clark (St. Louis, different course) on 9/14, then Des Moines 10/19.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

P2R, Good Good. You've ran some very high mileage weeks, I doubt you will get injured. I came home and asked my DH, "so I suppose you'll be mad if I tell you I signed up for TCM." He glared disapprovingly. I want to get the cardiologist stuff done, and be running good for awhile. I don't care about the entry fee cost, I will wait till closer too. My main goal is Fargo 2009, but I have a score to settle with TCM. Gotta do that one again while I'm still young.

Bugs

Bugs

Shan, Did you start drinking before you wrote that? Smile Everyone has to find their own rythym. Being competitive and still running for fun is the perfect difficult to produce mix.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Blush was it that obvious? hehe Blush Bugs, I agree it is a difficult mix!!
                Cashmason

"You're not racing against the other runner, the other athlete, or even the unforgiving clock. You are battling the negative voices and demons in side your head. Never let the negative voices win...it's that simple."
                  Cashmason

You all know I enjoy Triathlon. Here is a link to a tri article on racing. Some of it pertains to running which is why I include it here. Shan, this one is for you. Don't eat the paste! http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/the-endurance-nation-four-keys-to-ironman-execution

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - and now I have a mantra!!! Big grin I absolutely agree with you!! Now I just have to learn how to avoid that damn paste!!

Bugs

I read it, I don't get it, "Don't eat the paste." 411 please???? 8 miles a little faster than easy. Sure is nice to be able to pick the feet up with ease. I feel ready to race tomorrow. No watch of course. P2R, hope you rocked your dualathon!

Bugs

Cashmason

Bugs, Don't eat the paste = don't do something stupid just because other people are doing it. In kindergarten, sometimes you will see a kid eating a jar of glue paste that is supposed to be used for kids artwork. Then other kids will see the one kid do it and they will try it too just because one kid did it. In marathoning it means, just because someone else is doing something stupid, like running the first mile way too fast, don't you do it. How often have you been at a race, and seen people who are slower than you take off way too fast, and other people get caught up in it, and they go out too fast too. And you wind up passing them a mile or two down the road, and they are walking already. It means have a plan for your race, and stick to the plan. Don't abandon your plan, just because you see other people doing something stupid. I think a lot of us, when we started racing, had a plan, but when the gun goes off and everybody around you is running way fast, that we got caught up in it, and at mile one said ut oh, I just ran the fastest mile of my life and I still have 5 miles to go, an we wound up having to run the last couple of miles way slower than we thought we could have.
                          higa

Hi All thx for the welcome. My long run 28k today was hard work. i did hills for the first 14k (goodness knows what that was all about, i always run on the flat for my long runs) so i think it sapped my energy hence, all up it was a slow run. Got caught up in a triathlon too so i was ducking and diving through runners, recreational walkers, cyclists. Eventually i changed my route to get away from the crowds. A bit annoying as i like to time myself at the 1k markers but that was impossible today. Passed a work colleague who thought i was in the event and she started clapping and cheering for me, slighly embarassing as i felt like a real fraud. 3 big weeks coming up before i start tapering, and boy am i looking forward to that. Off for a nice hot bath now, it makes a 3+ hour run worth it! Will keep posting.

Bugs

Cash, In most races I think, "they'll die later" but they don't. Marathon you usually have enough miles that I've always had a pretty good idea of the pace. That's one of the reasons I like the marathon, it's a run at my pace...no racing. However in tomorrow's 5K the other runner's around me will affect my pace..actually planning on running slightly under a spring, if I die or puke oh well. Higa, That's funny. You were a bandit today! Took kids to see movie Nim's Island, we all really liked it.

Bugs

Happy Camper

The duathlon yesterday was fun and brutal. I enjoyed doing it, however, you just don't jump into another type of race and expect to be competitive. It was my second time out on the bike this year and it showed. That and my lack of speed in the run portion put me well back into the pack. Event was a 2.5/15/2.5. I held back from going all out in the first run split to avoid getting to deep into oxygen debt. Bad thing to do when all the multi-sport types are going all out. It is a sprint event even though it was the long course of the day. Times were 19:59 (7:59 mpm avg) 51:05 (17.6 mph bike avg) and 22:16 (8:54 mpm avg) Total Time 1:35:12. HRM had 165 bpm avg for the event. It ended up being a 95 minute LT workout. Boy did it show today. Managed 6 miles recovery run with heavy legs at an 11 minute mile average. Bugs: Go get'em in the 5k today!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.