Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/18-2/24 (Read 213 times)

evanflein

How about "A warrior? Do you have to wear a helmet? Big grin
    Heh, I bet it involves some sort of protection... Another nice day out there, but I really want to work on some speed work so will stay inside on the TM. If I could go run in the middle of the day (work? what work?), I'd head down the middle of the road behind campus. Could get some good speed going there while dodging cars every now and then...
    Cashmason

8 miles running in a bit of rain today. I don't mind running in the rain. Don't like biking in the rain.

Bugs

I'm a royal queen, I have warriors to do my fighting for me. It was -14 with crazy windshields this morning, but for my noon run was a nice warm 8F. Easy 4+, man that biking is hard on the legs. No shin pain. Think as long as I get to run at noon on this job, I'll put up with all the other BS.

Bugs

Happy Camper

31°F when I got up this morning. 1 hour later I started my run at 26°F. Finished 9-miles and it was 11°F. Winter just bites! Ran the trail along the creek bottom to get out of the wind as much as possible. The moon was so big and bright it was like running into a spotlight heading west. Last mile was straight north into the wind and that one was at nearly a 12 mm pace. Angry Is it Spring soon? I am co-RD with DW for a 5k on March 1st. It is on a groomed trail. We are rolling the dice that we won't have snow. Guess I'll be making screw shoes for everyone if we get hit with it.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

I have to admit I'm still chuckling over your "friend" at the biking class, Bugs. Truly bizarre. Got 8 in today before the snow hit. 6 yesterday. Will probably break down and TM tomorrow if the streets are icy. Trying to get back into things. Still struggling with some lingering coughing. This darn thing won't go away entirely but the running doesn't seem to be aggravating it so we'll see how things go. Appreciate the good feedback, Cash. Sometimes we all need a reminder that with 2 weeks to go, the only thing you can really do is get yourself injured Blush

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Should I wear this for the next biking class?

Bugs

Bugs

OH OH THIS IS IT! Express order tonight...

Bugs

evanflein

There ya go, Bugs. I like that one, but you'll prolly need short sleeves! 10.82 miles of 10k and marathon pace mile repeats tonight. Actually got 2 miles at 10k pace strung together, then a .5 mile break at MP, then another mile at 10k pace, .5 at MP, .5 at 10k pace, 1.5 at MP, plus warm up/cool down for quite the workout. I think I'll just run EZ tomorrow....
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Pace - Hang in there. It will be warm soon. Cash - if you're running in the rain, at least that means it's above freezing. That counts for something at least. Erika - I like your new plates; very cool. Bugs -way too many ways to take the warrior comment, some funny, some just creepy. Are you having the awesome week you predicted? Got in 9 last night, wanted 10, but got a late start and couldn't finish before the Y closed. (yes, TM miles). I did a progressive run, finishing just a bit faster than marathon pace. I know Bayshore is a long way off, but I am starting to feel like I'm really going to knock this one out of the park. I might head out during lunch for 3-4 recovery miles.
                    Cashmason

Bugs, hope you are biking indoors. If not you should be wearing knee warmers to protect your knees. Biking in the cold hurts your knees a lot worse than running in the cold. Love both T Shirts. You would probably have lots of guys hitting on you if you wore either one.

Bugs

Inertia, Not a bad week. My shin hurts more than I would like it to but just assuming that the graston loosen some stuff up. Doc said to run so I'm going for it. How's the week for you? Cash, We all know I love attention. Evil grin Oh and the spin class is inside, no way I'm trying to bike in the winter. Erika, Very nice DH! That's awesome. 10 mile run tonight, first winter run in the dark. Some craziness at work so I'm trying not to run more than 5 miles at lunch. It was kind of nice, but I need to pick a better path with more lights. Almost biffed it on an ice chunk.

Bugs

Went and saw "Spirit of the Marathon" tonight, very cool. Made me want to come home and run, but set the alarm for 4:30 instead. I've got my first 18 miler this weekend, kinda excited about that.
                          Cashmason

Bugs, Have you tried a headlamp like the Tika Petzl? They run around 35 dollars, strap around your head and are lightweight. Good for running at night or low light areas. Fit over or under a running hat if you use one or can fit on your bare head. Change change how bright it is with the push of a button. Good if DH works on the car at night too, or if you go camping and need to leave the tent at night. Husker, that was a good movie if you are a runner. Imagine it would bore non running friends, but very motivating if you run. Good luck with the 18 miler. Often the first time you do a new longer distance that run can suckify. The next time its not nearly so bad. Doesn't happen every time you do a new distance, but it can happen. You are getting into territory now where hydration and nutrition play a factor. If you are a alot more sore the next day, you probably didn't take in enough calories during the run. Good luck. 1050 yards swimming tonight plus hour of spin class plus half hour of deadlifts, bench press rows and other lifting.
                              Cash, thanks for the advise. My 16 miler a couple of weeks ago went really well and I wasn't too sore the next day. I still doubt I took enough water, something I need to work harder on before it starts warming up more. I ran a 10k last weekend and felt much worse the days following that than the days following the 16 miler. Speed seems to hurt quite a bit more than distance, but we'll see if I still feel that way after this weekend. When you talk about taking enough calories during the run, other than gels, is there something else I should know? For the 16 miler, I took a Gu around mile 5 and another around mile 10 or 11. I split about 40 oz of water around when I took the Gus. That's probably not enough water, but how many calories should I be taking? I definitely appreciate advise like this, since this is uncharted water for me. On a separate note, I actually have reason to believe I can run a 4-hour marathon now. That's somewhat-secretly been my goal, but I'd never run a race where those crazy calculators say I can run 4 hours, but my 50:45 10k equates to somewhere under 4 hours, if you believe those things. Now I just need to stay healthy.
                              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Husker - there does seem to be some line of demarcation at the 4 hour mark, doesn't there? I'd certainly like to break that on my next outing as well and it's starting to look like that's gonna happen. Most training calculators are pretty decent guidlines, but not carved in stone truth. My next race is in 5 weeks and it's a HM - should give a good indication as to what I can expect. I'm really looking forward to it. My last few races haven't gone very well. Day off today. Tomorrow's going to be tough. I'm either looking at nearly 3 hours on a TM or a slog outside in snow and cold.