Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/18-2/24 (Read 213 times)

Mr. Inertia - 3 hours on the TM? I'll take Chinese water torture over that. Luckily the only major hurdle for me getting my run done tomorrow is the bachelor party I'm going to tonight. Weather's calling for 27 degrees, clear and calm overnight and I like to get my runs done early.
    evanflein

Hey, I've done that 3 hour treadmill thing... not nearly so bad if you have distractions. Would be difficult on my TM at home cuz no TV, just iPod and a window. But at the athletic club with 10 TV's it wasn't so bad! Bugs, the headlamp Cash mentioned is great. I have one and really like it. Couldn't do most of my winter runs without it. 5.2 miles last night... down the bike path and back up in slick soft snow. Trip down was fun (first mile was 8:26, second was 8:05) but the trip back up was hard (I think 8:49 and 9:05). Last mile was mostly back and forth in front of my house cuz I didn't want to do anymore hills!! Love those downhills, but you sure pay for them on the way back up and the snow sure doesn't help. Cooler today but bright and clear. I'll probably go for a walk at lunchtime, otherwise it's s'posed to be a "rest" day. Shoveling hard pack snow off the driveway tonight doesn't count.

Bugs

Inertia, Are you conditioned to run that long on TM? I can not switch from outside to TM that easily, it makes my legs hurt. If you can do half outside and half on TM that is not too bad. You will have a great HM. Your attitude for races is a huge factor. Cash, I have a cheap headlamp. I just get sick of all the gear for running. I will try to get out of the office sooner. The biggest issue is water. My fuel belt does not fit around my winter clothes right.Thursday I stopped at the hockey ring twice because they have a water fountain there. Maybe need to just bring money with and buy water from a store. Husker, Don't drink too much! I am running a 5K tomorrow, rest day today, NO BIKING tomorrow morning. I am very nervous. Isn't that silly? But nerves are not all bad, just means I care. I have no idea how I'll do, but if I puke at the end I'll be so proud. How's that for a mantra?

Bugs

Cashmason

Good plan Bugs. HuskerB. Nutrition. Most people carry about 2000 calories of glycogen in their liver and bloodstream. If you are around 150 pounds you will burn roughly 100 calories a mile. Means you can go about 20 miles without nutrition. Marathon is 26.2 miles. Means you need to take in about 620 calories during the race. Water has 0. So that leaves you with calories from sports drinks/ gels / shot blocks, even candy or energy bars. I think you get about 100 calories from 8 ounces of sport drink and about 100 calories per gel. I could be wrong on those numbers though. A general rule of thumb is one sip = 1 ounce of liquid. ( For comparison, a shot glass holds about an ounce and a half of liquor). Most people find the further they run, the better they are with liquid type nutrition ie sport drink and gels. Shot blocks probably ok. Energy bars too hard to digest late in the race for most people. Plus remember its not when you put it in your mouth, its when the stomach finishes digesting it. Gels and sport drink get digested a lot faster than energy bars. That said, I have a friend who loves chocolate brownies cut up into little squares and she eats them during a race. If you are the typical male Kenyan runner who places in the top ten you weigh about 120 pounds and may not need any nutrition. Most of them have sports drink specially prepared just for them in special bottles at special tables for elite runners only. You very seldom see any of them even take a gel, and when they do the announcers mention it, because it is unusual. The rest of us, who weigh more than that need a bit more nutrition. 11 miles on the bike today for me before the rains hit.

Happy Camper

Bugs: Winter rules apply... your time has to be lower than the temperature. If the race is before noon you could have a sub 20:00 on your plate this morning! HuskerB The TGIF I went to lasted until 9:00pm. How was the BP? The Elephant Run Club is the place to be. If the drinks don't make your head ache the morning after, the karaoke will! Group run at 7:00am this morning. I'm feeling 10.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

P2R, I can do that easy. 18 min 5K will be a nice PR. Roll eyes THink you missed a temp*2 in your calculation! I am thinking more about the Iowa marathon. Maybe the course is not worse than Twin Cities. Infact it may be easier because of the hill placement.

Bugs

I was home from the BP around 11:00, but instead of the usual 5:00 long run, I'm pushing it back to 11:00 or 12:00. Want to make sure I've taken care of the hydration issues. I know remember why I don't go out much anymore. My eyes are killing me from that smoke.

Happy Camper

Nice tempo workout today. 10-miles in 1:24:24. 160bpm avg HR. Right at threshold for me. Really was 2x5-miles because of a short break. 8:27 pace is what McMillian prescribes for tempo work to do a 4:00 hr Marathon. I did well with it until mile 9. Couldn't sub 9:00m the last one. Did get one in sub 8:00m and a couple more around 8:00m Decided that was enough today. I'm ready for the trails tomorrow.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Race Report: A course PR of 25:06 avg. pace 8:05. My legs were still a little tired from Thursday. The course was very ice on spots.7:45 pace for the first mile, some hills on the second. Have to say biking has really helped make hills easier. Seems I can easily pass people on the hills these days. There are no awards on this race, numbers, or times posted. Was a good workout. Anybody else doing the one race a month challenge? I'm two for Jan, and two for Feb now. Don't think I can do two races a month for the entire year. One of my goals is to have three course PRs this year. One down. Two years ago my time was 26:28. It was canceled last year because of ice, could have ran it faster last year, but it still counts.

Bugs

Bugs, nice 5k. I'd have some reservations about running fast when there's ice, but I'm a bit of a klutz anyway. Those are some great times. My first 18 miler today. For some reason I felt way worse at 12 and 14 miles than I did for my 16 miler, but I did run a little faster. Pretty sore right now, but the ice is helping.
                      Cashmason

HuskerB. Speed Kills. Applies to running not just cars. In this case not dead, just dead legs. Now you know why you don't want to race your training runs. spin class and then 1100 yards swimming for me. Nice race Bugs!

Bugs

HuskerB, I am terrible at racing my LRs, but have been burned by it. Works better to do a 3/1 run on the week before you cut-back. Any fun BP stories? Cash, Thanks. I was fine with today's time, but it does stink when you use to be faster. Going to try to follow a training plan again. When with runner world's smart coch. I would like to go right from the half to fall marathon training.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I REGISTERED TODAY!!! Quite a bit earlier than I would have liked, but they're gonna sell out in 2-3 weeks. Had concerns that a buttload of people would see that it was going to sell out and jump in line before me. I'm stoked and nervous. A lot can happen between now and then. I'm committed. My wife thinks I should be committed. I could only manage 14 today on the TM. I did quite a bit of speedwork (tempo run and a progressive 9 miler) earlier in the week. For some weird reason I thought I'd do today's long run progressively and it was a bit much. I need to remember to ease into stuff. I have a tendancy to try a workout because it looks like a cool workout instead of doing a workout that's within my grasp. Friggin newby mistakes. Coolest BP I ever went to was my own. 12 guys, 14 guns 6,000 rounds of ammo followed by 18 holes of golf, dinner at great lakes brewery and the Lakewood crawl (2.75 mile stretch of road with 9 bars). Good time, good times.

Oh Mighty Wing

Hey All!!!! Check us out : http://picasaweb.google.com/Shan.Hassel/Wedding Thanks for all the well wishes! It went very very well!! We had a great time and I ate alot, rest alot, AND fit into my dress!! Had my MRI right before i left so hopefully i will be able to get in to see the doc early this week and get back on the road... Haven't tried to run at all i'm a good girl. Every once in a while my knee let's me know it's there but it's isn't a pain and it doesn't last it's almost like i stepped funny or something. Might try the treadmill tomorrow... very light very slow just to see... if I do I promise to stop if I feel anything!! And i worked on a strength training routine that i'm going to start tomorrow. DH (YEAH!) and I worked hard to make sure it covered everything focusing on exercises that will force my stabilizer muscles into action. Hopeing to work on any imbalances so i can be the strongest me i can be for running. Seems everyone here has had a pretty nice week! Glad to read it!!
                              evanflein

Congratulations on your wedding! Thanks for the link... haven't looked yet but will when I have more time. This is a "fly by" post as I'm short of time... date night tonight and gotta get ready! Big grin 10.1 miles of mostly tempo pace, some hills (a big one!), some fartleks with paces up to 5k and 10k race pace. Overall a really good run, weather was perfect at partly cloudy and +20F, sun at my back on the way home. Made me realize it's been a long time since I ran with my shadow!! ETA... great pictures! Nice tan lines! Love the barefoot bride thing you had going. Congratulations again, that looked like a wonderful wedding. Enjoy the next chapter(s) as that was just the beginning.