Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/21 (Read 227 times)

Dave

Happy Friday, everyone.  Looking forward to some longer runs this weekend in nice cool temps.

Work got the best of me and I had a rest day yesterday.  Yes, Lou.  I know 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice 5 mile pace run.  It was muggy, but still felt good.  Tomorrow is my first 20 miler. 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

ran intervals last night... very fun.. felt great and we finished in the dark.  Smile   Ankle is still a little tingly.  Decided to rest today, since 23 is on tap for tomorrow.

Paul- you're going to do great on your 20 miler.  Do you run alone or with others?  Everyone's different, but I like having company on the longer runs... don't know if that's an option for you.

Dave, good to hear from you... hope you're able to get out and run this weekend.

Just got back from meeting with the Girls on the Run coach for our school.  I'm going to be assistant coach, and I'm so excited!!!  Darby will be participating for the first time this year and the goal is to be able to have the girls complete a 5K on December 5th.  There's also curriculum that focuses on healthy self esteem and other issues for girls.

I am signing up today for the half next weekend and the 20 miler.   I am also SERIOUSLY thinking about running the Disney Marathon in January.  That's crazy, I think, but I am so tempted.  

theyapper

On the road again...

All my running is alone, but I like it that way usually.

Paul

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Go Kimmie! 23 miles... wow. That's a long training run. Be careful!

Go Paul! First 20 miler, how cool. I hope you have a good one and tell us all about it.

What the heck happened to Shan? Where's Bugs? Where's more pictures of Murphy's spawn??

I was going to run to get my car after getting the snow tires put on it... and  did, but miscalculated the distance, and made a wrong turn. Ended up in an older mobile home park with wire fence all around it. Hmmm, they must really want to keep those inmates inside! Had to go back around to the next road, and it started raining with wind and bleh. Last 1.25 mile was at 7:30 pace, for an average pace of 8:10 for the whole run. Whew! But the car is all ready for winter now, and just in time cuz we're getting snow this weekend! (eek! and I still have potatoes and carrots out there!!)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Snow this weekend is hard for me to imagine.

Wish I could sleep, but woke up, ate, and couldn't fall back asleep. Yeah, race in the morning, that's why...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Yeah, where are the rest of the regulars?

Good luck on your race, Perry!

Kimmie!  I don't know how I missed that you're running 23 today.  Hope it goes well.

TY - same for you with your 20.  Pretty soon you'll be saying, "I'm only running 17" Smile

Snow?  Gee, sorry for that Erika.  Hope you have a mild winter.

A little recovery run for me: 3.1 miles, 28:36, 9:06/mi, AHR 132 (68% MHR)

Now to move my morning along -- there are bunch of errands we need to do, then get ready for a wedding, and I need to keg some beer first.

theyapper

On the road again...

Well, the 20 mile run went well.  I have no idea what to expect pace wise at the marathon, but I keep thinking if I can average 11 min miles for the race, I'll be happy, so I was THRILLED to have an avg pace of 10:48/mile on this run.  Knowing that I can get that pace even with a few walking and gel breaks makes me feel very comfortable with that pace.  Best part was that my AHR for the run was 147, which for me is below 70% of MHR.

Things I fight on these really long runs: boredom, keeping my mind "in the run" and the soreness in my legs.  The good news is that the soreness comes later and later with each long run.  Today I never felt like I wasn't going to make it, but I was glad it was over, and I think I heard both my knees audibly saying "thank you" when I sat in a cold tub afterwards.

MTA:  The other really encouraging part of this run was that I did it on about 3.5 hours sleep.  My sons had friends stay overnight and we didn't get to sleep until well after 2 am.  

Paul

Dave

Congrats on the 20 miler Paul.  Sounds like it went just how it was supposed to go.

No snow for us, Erika but we are supposed to get some frost next week. 

Hope the 23 miler went well, Kim.

5 1/4 for me today at my new tempo pace (just under 8 mm/mile).  Something about the lower mileage makes me want to pound out speed work.  I know it's not very smart.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Wow Paul!

That is so cool that you were able to run so strong on such little sleep.   It's a great feeling to get that done.  I wonder if we had the same weather... temps in the mid 60s here, overcast.

I ended up with 23.5 miles total.  Felt GREAT until mile 20, and then I hit a little bit of a wall...  was trying to figure out if it was physical or mental.  I wonder if I needed more calories.  Not as much gatorade as I normally drink.    But I ended up with a 9:25 pace per mile... just walked a little at the end when I was getting bored or tired.

After coming home, I had 10 minutes to get ready to go to a Wellness Fair at our school to sit at a Girl Scout table.   No down time, no ice bath, etc.... Smile    Move and groove... all the time.

Tonight, I'm going to an outdoor concert with a bunch of teenagers from my church (chaperone)-  I am looking forward to it but it's 70% chance of rain.  AH!!    

I agree, where is Bugs and Shan?    We should implement the buddy system around here.

Wow, crushing long runs for both kimmie and theyapper!

Good pace for both of you!

theyapper

On the road again...

Great run, Kim.  Yes, our weather here was very similar, in fact, I ran the first 6 miles or so in a nice misting rain.

Paul

Misting rain here this morning, too.

12.2 miles, 1:44:58, 8:36/mi, AHR 143 (73% MHR)

5@9:09(133), 2@8:44(140), 5.21@8:00(153)

I guess the hay is in the barn for next week's race.

Dave

Things I fight on these really long runs: boredom, keeping my mind "in the run" and the soreness in my legs.  

Paul, one of the things I started doing on my really long runs (2-3 hours) was listen to a 1 hour long podcast for the first hour.  Usually for me that was "This American Life".  Kept my mind occupied until the first hour was done and the "real run" started.  After that I switched to music usually but sometimes I'd put a couple of short programs in there to take another half hour or so.  

Kept me occupied.  

Legs are pretty rough after yesterday's speedwork.  I know I should go for a run today.  Beautiful morning in Michigan.  Cool and clear.  Really crappy weather headed our way tomorrow (gale force winds and a high in the mid-50's).

Easy runs everyone.

That's some great hay in the barn, Lou.  Very nice run.  I need to make hay.

dgb2n@yahoo.com