Marathon Trainers

6/23-6/29 (Read 170 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning all Shan - sounds like you're going through some rough stuff with your running. Don't really have anything specific, just stay positive, keep trying and things will work out. I had a pretty miserable 14 miler on Saturday. Too little sleep, poor fueling choices and started out too fast (can't beleive I still do that sometimes). There was much walking, probably about a miles worth, maybe a bit more. Hooked up a trail-a-bike and went out with my daughter eysterday. I knew it wasn't going to be as easy as it looked, but it was even harder than I thought. The whole balance and steering dynamic changes. Plus, DD isn't used to it and her balance was off quite a bit. She struggled against the bike and it was really hard to maintain balance. Plus, my bike corners like a bus anyway. Add the trail-a-bike and it's like trying to turn a tanker around in the harbor without a tugboat. The ride was short, but it was getting better as we finished. Upper body got a workout, too as I tried to muscle the thing around the corner. We'll be heading out again tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I - the biking sounds like fun even if it was tough! I bet you will see it gets easier with practice! Sorry your long run didn't go well, sometimes I think it's good to have those tough runs to remind you that you still need to eat/fuel/everything else well to have happy runs! Oh I am positive and determined!! hehe Last week was a busy week as far as school getting out and I wasn't sure how much I should run coming off of the race so I am chalking last week up to those and am gonna go back at it today! Over the next weeks i might try to transition into morning running, but we shall see...

Dave

First "official" day of marathon training for me kicking off my 18 week training plan today. 3 miles on the schedule. Ran 4 easy with a plan for 6 miles with hill work tomorrow. This weeks LSD is 10 miles. Sorry to hear about your rough 14, MrI. That's a pretty substantial long run. Are you training for a specific race? Hang in there, Shan. Think about how much harder it will be if you really take a break. Even with your mile runs, you're still keeping an iron in the fire.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Hey everybody! How is the gang holding up? Just scanned last week's thread and it seems like Shan is struggling a mile at a time and Cash has some huggy thing going with his groin? Hmmm, what HAVE you people been up to? I'm back from a week in Hawaii with my menfolk... Soccer tournament went pretty well even though we were eliminated in the prelims (not unexpected). Got some good runs in before the games and it was sure a change to a) run at 6 a.m. every day and b) deal with that heat and humidity! Not as H&H as some folks deal with, but sure a big change for me! Got home at 7 a.m. on Saturday after flying all night (6 hours from Honolulu to Anchorage and another hour to home) and a 2 hour time change. Spent Saturday puttering around the house, napping for a couple hours, laundry, then up to my sister's for my dad's 81st birthday party... THEN at 10 pm my oldest son and I ran the Midnight Sun Run 10k. I'll get around to a race report eventually... maybe. I think my time was 48:08, which is two minutes slower than last year. Not bad considering my feet and ankles were still puffy from the plane and my legs were tired and sore. Got an 11 mile long run in yesterday, longest run I've done in awhile. My foot is still sore and my left ankle is now also acting stupid. I blame shoes. Finally got my Asics delivered today (got an e-mail confirming delivery)... I found some old Nimbus 9's for a good price and bought two pair in my hard-to-find size. Gotta scout out some more... I hate the new 10's and the Nike's I'm wearing are good but not great. I hate looking for new shoes.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - pictures??? I hope the shoes work-out. I'm in 10's they aren't as comfortable but they are pretty good and slowly i'm getting use to them. You are a beast! Flights and races - crazy!! OHH and go catch my race report!!

Bugs

Yes and about Cash's groin, like my kids would say, "I didn't touch it." Think you need to put some bio-freeze all over it. Smile Boy it's a good thing the girls can't get strained in this sport else it'd be pay back time. When back to read about Shan's troubles, thought maybe she was injured, nope just can't get her arse out of bed. Shan, thought you were in marathon training? Inerita, Time to take care of yourself. Sleep, nutrition and all. I know your next post will be that you nailed your run. Dgb, you need to take pictures of runners. Oh I am hooked on the those, I order them all because they do such a good job. My DH can look at me as he runs in my exercise room. Smile Erika, That race sounds so cool. Don't sweat the time, you packed a whole lot of running in a short amount of time, even super woman take a vacation now and then. A tough week of running for me, some tummy trouble, poop does wash off of your shoes but it's not as fun as it sounds and a tough 10K race Saturday after a weekend of camping. Ended the race with achilies pain, felt it again last night, and thought I was officially injured again. Hey I was in a state of "nothing hurts" for TWO flippin weeks! 5 miles tonight, including the longest hardest flippin hill with no pain so it may have been just a minor strain. Graston treatment tomorrow just the same.

Bugs

Cashmason

8.3 miles running for me tonight starting at 10 30 pm. Temp was a beautiful 68 degrees. Did a triathlon yesterday 65 miles inland from here. Was 91 degrees when I finished at 9 am. 106 degrees when some friends finished an hour later. I had a good race, but my best friend crashed on the bike and broke his collarbone. I had to find his gear bag to find his car keys so I could drive to the hospital and wait 3 hours for him. Then drove him home in 90 minutes. Between the pain, and the pain pills, he turned into a grumpy old bast*rd.

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - i'll keep my fingers crossed that your achillies pain is nothing!! And i've got 3 weeks before training starts so i'll be getting back to good mileage this week. Cash- sorry to hear about your friend, but i'll bet he was really glad to have you there!

Bugs

Bugs - i'll keep my fingers crossed that your achillies pain is nothing!! And i've got 3 weeks before training starts so i'll be getting back to good mileage this week.
                    Glad to hear you're going to be back at it. 26 miles is a long way to run, you need to bank some miles for it to be fun. Cash, Sorry about your friend. I saw a biker fly down a hill (while I was running up.) and thought no way I'd have the guts to do that. Even if I got in shape to bike fast, I'd be a chicken. I like my collar bone just the way it is. Hope your friend heals quickly.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

My plan is to log 25-30 mpw before training begins on 7/21. 4 today. It was rough I had to pee half way through even though I went before i left. Thankfully i was lost in the woods so it worked out. What sucked is that I got lost in the woods on trails that were barely trails so I had to walk some to figure out what happened! And my sunscreen ran into my eyes AND I got chub rubbed! But man it was a nice run! Smile

Dave

Bugs, I'd love to take pictures of runners but most the races seem to have the professionals out there in earnest. I find the prices they charge to be absolutely ridiculous. If you race near DC, I'll come out and take some Big grin Hope the achilles isn't anything serious. It took me about 6 weeks to put that one behind me. Its nice to report that I have no aches or pains to complain about. 5 miles today with one mile at HM pace and 3 hill repeats (short .15 mile hill but we sprinted up it at a pace somewhere in the mid 6 minute range). What do you guys do for hill workouts? I thought it was a nice change up to take a mile of pace work into the first hill repeat. Logged it as a fartlek run. Didn't know what else to call it. Shan, 7/21 is only about 4 weeks away Shocked

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

6.25 miles tonight running 650 yards swimming
                          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I've decided to make all this week easy, short t medium runs. My legs are just heavy and sluggiish and I just can't seem to shake it. I can hit a quality workout here and there but they always seem to set me back for my other runs. This week I'm doing a few 4 milers, a 6 miler and for the weekend I'm only going 10. I'm hoping that'll freshen things up a bit. Got an effin speeding ticket on my way in this morning No I'll catch up later.
                            evanflein

Sorry about the speeding ticket... I racked up a couple of those with my old Saab... DH has gotten one in the new Saab with the turbo. We were driving to Anchorage for a soccer tournament a couple years ago, and he got pulled over at about 2 a.m., both boys sleeping in the backseat, me dozing in the front... The trooper asked if he knew how fast he was going, and maybe it was just late enough and he was tired enough that he didn't even try to gloss it over. DH said "yeah, I had the cruise set at 88 and I think it's pretty accurate." The trooper agreed and wrote up the ticket. Roll eyes I was in a funk today, and most of yesterday. Yesterday was our 19th anniversary, but we've been through so much recently we didn't really feel like celebrating. Part of it was DH had shoulder surgery Monday (not as extensive as the other shoulder done in March, but still a big enuf deal), and the memorial service for a friend of ours was yesterday afternoon. Get this... she was riding her bike to church with her husband, like they do every Sunday, and she fell off and died three days later. She had a helmet on, but suffered major brain damage and never regained consciousness. Just bizarre. No hazards that they could find, just fell off her bike on the road. We were in Hawaii when we found out. I just can't get over how it happened. I think she had a stroke (she was almost 60), but I don't know if they did an autopsy. How do you just ride along and fall off your bike? So... the day was sorta gloomy for us. We went out for a quick supper at our favorite restaurant, but DH is on meds so it was pretty short. The owner (also a friend of ours) visited with us and then ended up picking up the tab, which was nice.... But I had to go shopping afterwards, one boy was at soccer the other's game was canceled so he was home... Things were just all out of sorts. LOOOOONG story to say, I missed my run. And today I was just in a dumpy mood but someone urged me to just go for a run (I did bring my stuff, which I don't usually do) and so I did. 5 miles in 41 minutes, lots of hills and sunny bikepaths, just what I needed. I feel much better, and might even get in the rest of my Wednesday miles tonight (goal was 8...). I'll worry about yesterday's missed miles at another time. Or not.

Dave

Very sorry to hear about your friend, Erika. Happy Anniversary anyway. 19 years is pretty cool.

dgb2n@yahoo.com