Marathon Trainers

3/31 - 4/6 (Read 207 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

3 miles... not sure i like the inserts - the arch is back too far for my arch's liking... but i'll give it a couple more runs to see if it wears in or something! Erika - You are amazing... and there just isn't any more to say on that!
    evanflein

Thanks, Shan, it was a great run and I'm still full of myself about it. Yes If those inserts are bothering your feet, be sure to tell your doc (you got from podiatrist or similar?). My feet are really sensitive to "too high arch supports" and make them really hurt. That's why I wear the neutral runner cushion shoes and not any support or stabilizer stuff. Cross training day today, which means I ride my stationary bike and read magazines while dinner cooks!

Happy Camper

http://www.stltoday.com/mds/lifestyle/html/1293 Video and commentary on the St. Louis Marathon Course. Watched it and now I am pumped and ready to go! Big grin 4-easy miles this morning. Erika: Awesone LR!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

My doctor's visit today... HTFU To think 24 hours ago my worst problem was whether to take antidepressents or not. God it's boring here in the hospital. I'm on the cardiac floor and when I went for cat scan all I saw was old people. Didn't see any other marathon runners. LOL Well I hope they let me run 7 mles for that stress test like the schedule called for. LOL Doc said I will be running again, but there is a lot before then. I know joke about liking attention, this is not the attention I like. I didn't tell you guys but I had a lot of problems on Friday. Saturday morning I felt so sick I went to doctor and he told me it was anxiety. He said to see my doctor on Monday and I said, "I had planned to see him no matter what you said today". He said,, "Well what if I told you you couldn't see him." Stupid jerk, all I meant was that I knew it was best for me to see MY doctor. Today in doctor's office there was a lot of the same nurses when I came to and they sure looked like they felt bad. Kind of like they "screwed up". Shan, don't worry..they are doing every kind of tests. All you that got a marathon comign up, you think of me when you're tired.. you never know what marathon is your last.. give her all you got.

Bugs

Bugs, sorry to hear about your news, thats absoloutely shocking. Thoughts with you all the way from Australia and hope it turns out to be something minor that can be quickly fixed. Certainly makes training pace, heart rates and goal times seem a lot less important! Great long run erika, and by the way the 14.1km race I did on Sunday is not a standard distance for a race down here either, just a novelty distance as it goes through or past a lot of our landmarks in the city here. I get a treadmill delivered today so may very well have my first run on that tonight to test it out. Happy running everyone Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - you never know some of those old people might be a marathon runner?? maybe back in the day anyway!! I'm glad they are doing all kinds of tests! And i'm glad you were at the doctors office and you knew this black out felt different just imagine if you were at home and blew it off! (not sure how you would do that but you never know i guess!!!) And hey I wonder if this is connected to the antidepressant issue?? Maybe this trip will get it all fixed and the only thing left to worry about is your mechanics! Wink Good luck with your run today! I have a feeling 7 miles on a tread mill with tubes hooked up might suck!

Bugs

Still bored out of mind...hope this is not depressing you guys but I need an outlet. Trying to just stay positive right now. They don't really know anything. They are guessing that me passing out has nothing to do with the irregular rythm. Said I am lucky that they caught it in the ambulance, if I had not been hooked up they would not have caught it. They are sending print out of the rythm to Mayo Clinic. Blood work was all normal, but I sure don't feel good.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Bugs: Run the tests and get the heck out of there. Life is too short to spend in the Hospital. Hope it is not serious. Take advantage of the rest. Be thankful for all your running and exercise. You have that going for you now. I'll be thinking of you today. Best wishes to you and family. 4-miles at goal pace in the dark, cold wind with a siberian husky that loves running as much as I do.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs: worst April Fools Joke ever...At least I wished you were joking.. But, if you are going to pass out, its best to do it while with a doctor or paramedics. And this could be a blessing in that they caught the heart rhythm. Hopefully its not as serious as it probably seems to be at the moment. Best wishes are out to you. On to my Heart Mini marathon report: My prep suckked. Not refering to my lack of miles, but I had work stuff come up and I was dealing with that up until the ride to the race. I forgot my watch/Garmin..but they did have clocks at each marker--so it wasnt a big deal. But forgot water for pre-race as well. Had to do a lot of walking from car to packet pick up and back to car. Got to the start line with my training partner about 10 minutes before the gun. And it was like a cannon. One girl literally hit the ground she was so startled. Anyhow, my plan was to get under 1:30:00 which would be a PR for me. It was a bit chilly in the morning but I quickly took off my jacket. I forgot how hilly this course was, Immediately upon turning the corner from the start you see the huge hills in the distance. There are some rolling hills and some steep ones. Ran with my tp for the 1st mile, and then pulled ahead. I was keeping a very even 9:20 to 9:30 pace despite the hills. Was 29:44 at the 5k split and 58:31 at the 10k. At about the 6 mile point theres a ridiculous steep hill they jet you up and down. Made that ok. After mile 7 was pretty beat, but I did my best to get some speed down the hills and relax going up. I really wanted to walk it in though--had nothing left after runing pretty easy for the first 5-6 miles (see lack of training). But I knew Id be close to my goal, so I pressed on. It started to mist, and then rain a bit harder the last mile... And I finished in 1:28:49--whoo hoo PR.. Next up is the Pig 1/2 marathon--yes, Im sticking to my guns. But I have an aggressive goal of 2 hours. So some hard training starts back up tonight.

Dave

Bugs, Very, very, sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope that you feel better soon and get some good information back from your doctors. It will be difficult to be patient but important for you to keep your spirits up. MurphGreat PR despite all the difficulties getting started. I wasn't entirely sure how long it was so I checked your log (9.3 miles?). Sounds like you finished strong. How soon is the Flying Pig? I finally got back out and ran today (5 miles at a very easy pace). Hopefully April will be better than March. My March mileage was less than half of January. Makes no sense...

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Murphy - good job!!! Bugs - well the catching of the rythm is good! And nothing showing up in blood work is probably good too. right? I'm sorry you aren't feeling good - that certainly doesn't help! And you should feel comfortable venting here!! I'm just sorry we can't communicate more during the day! (it's 4pm here)

Bugs

Hi guys, I got my get out of free jail card, and all is good. They heard from the docs in Mayo and they seemed less concerened, but more tests of course. Even allowed to exercise. Did the TM stress test, was on it for 13:30 minutes, and felt dizzy and stopped, but hey it was a hilly course PR. Smile Murphy. Great job on the PR. You should be in great shape for your half.

Bugs

evanflein

{{{Bugs}}} Take care of yourself, sweetie. I think you push yourself too hard and you eat like crap. There. I said it. You need a mom to come watch over you for awhile! Get some rest and keep us posted on what you find out. The worst thing about something like this is not having answers... Congrats on the treadmill, Hank! Some people just make a real point of hating them, but I credit mine with helping my speed tremendously this spring. Speedwork on the treadmill in the winter is a good thing. And it really helps you get those miles in when the weather is awful or it's just too dark. Murphy... what distance was that race? When you said Mini Marathon I assumed it was a half-marathon. Good race and yes the Pig half is a good one from what I hear. May 5, right?
                              Bugs - glad to hear they're not too concerned. I'll definitely send good vibes your way and don't ever feel bad about venting. If it helps you then we're more than happy to listen. I get a bit of an unplanned break. Jammed my finger about a month ago playing basketball but didn't think much of it. It still hurt last week so I went in for X-rays, Broke my finger and tore the tendon off as well. So, I had surgery today to get it all back in place. Splint and sling for a wwek and just the splint for another month or so. Hopefully I'll get back to running later this week, depends on the pain and meds. The block hasn't worn off yet so we'll see. Blech!
                                The race was a 15k=9.3 miles. My race translated to 9:32 mm or some such. So, Im hoping to run the half somewhere between my 10k and 15k pace. I think I'll be very close on either side of 2 hours. Uphill the first half and downhill coming back. I think the date is May 3rd. Its the first Sunday in May.