Marathon Trainers

3/31 - 4/6 (Read 207 times)

Cashmason

Bugs, glad they let you out and that you are feeling better. Don't worry about boring us. You are a friend, we care, so it'st not boring. Listen to Erika, she is old enough to be your mom and cares about you. Didn't know your kids had and invisible Grandma up in the great white north, did you? Btw did you notice I love to tease Erika? Weights, short run, spin class then a swim today. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1200 yards tonight. Kick on side drills, got the hips up, but just about swallowed the whole pool trying to breathe doing that. Tried my first flip turn while actually doing laps rather than just practicing at the wall. Result, did plant feet on the wall and push off. Snorted water while upside down, and body position was all catty whumpus at the end. Think I wound up facing the sidewall, but not sure as I stood up and tried to blow the water out of my sinus cavity.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - sounds like you tried to pull too fast out of the turn or you were too far/close from the wall. Here is my strategy )not sure how well this will translate but i'll try) coming into wall, take deep breath, one last pull - ending with both arms back by side (should put you at about arms length from wall if the pull puts you farther than that glide in do NOT take an extra stroke it will put you too close and then you can't get your feet planted ), use arm pull and tuck head turn, once upside down - bring arms up your body and out in front of you torpedo style and plant feet (this always feels to me like things just stop while i do this), push off, turn over, do a butterfly leg pump (not a free-style kick), as you feel yourself slow take your first stroke (because your arms are still over your head at this point your first stroke is only your one arm coming down and back in the water, take breath. So you want to keep the front arm in front until the stroke arm comes out of the water. I hope this helps. I just went start to finish because practicing flip turns and doing them while your taking strokes can be a little weird timing wise... MTA: I use to practice by standing alittle ways out and swimming into the wall... only 4 or 5 strokes...and then after the flip taking a stroke or two. Also - no blowing air while flipping. wait till you turn back over if you can. I seem to remember every time I tried to blow water while flipping I ended up choking on it...
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

{{Bugs}} - so sorry to hear you're not doing well. Glad you're out of the hospital. Take care of yourself, do what you need to do to get better. Stay close to us. We're not just here to post workouts, we're friends Hank – very cool to get your own TM. I’ve done the bulk of my training for this marathon indoors. While it’s not anything I’d consider ideal, there are definite benefits and they can be a useful training tool. Murphy – Always nice to be able to post a PR! Good luck on hitting 2 hours on the Pig. I know Cincy isn’t the flattest city in the world – how flat is the marathon? Dgb2n – remember – consistency if one of the most important ingredients in marathon training. Did 10 pretty good miles on the TM last night. Would have liked to do 12 but the gym was crowded and I had to yield the machine. Took Bug’s advice and really enjoyed the run simply because I can. It’s easy to lose track of how great it is to be able to run – thanks for the reminder – sorry it took a meltdown to bring that about. Did it without any music or TV. I’m really looking forward to my HM on Saturday. I’m gonna try like the dickens to break 2:00. TP is having a rough time, too. She was at the doc’s for some minor stuff and he asked her about the bump on her left ankle. Turns out she has a cyst on the tendon. They’re going to operate. She’s in a cast right now and can do nothing physical for 3 weeks. Doc referred her to a sports psychologist because he know there’s no way in heck she’s going to go 3 weeks without working out.

Bugs

{{{Bugs}}} Take care of yourself, sweetie. I think you push yourself too hard and you eat like crap.
          Erika, You make me chuckle, seriously your on my personal A Team of people that I think are simply fabulous. Doc told me to eat more salt, low on potassium, blood pressure drops too low at times. Maybe that's why I crave potatoe chips. Smile

Bugs

Bugs

3 miles... not sure i like the inserts - the arch is back too far for my arch's liking... but i'll give it a couple more runs to see if it wears in or something!
            sorry I didn't reply to this sooner! What kind of inserts? Did you take the factory insert out? I've worn orthotics and the inserts that you mold to your feet. They can make your foot sit higher in the shoe than the factory. Some shoes are worse than others, Brooks work better than Asics. You also need to break in inserts, start with walking before running.

Bugs

Bugs

TP is having a rough time, too. She was at the doc’s for some minor stuff and he asked her about the bump on her left ankle. Turns out she has a cyst on the tendon. They’re going to operate. She’s in a cast right now and can do nothing physical for 3 weeks. Doc referred her to a sports psychologist because he know there’s no way in heck she’s going to go 3 weeks without working out.
              Sorry about TP. Injuries suck, no other way to describe it. When they were telling me that I might need a pacemaker many thoughts crossed my mind including if I could run again, I was trying to stay calm, but I was getting a lot thrown at me. Quickly I decided, "Whatever comes, comes, I'll adapt, walk those fun runs, volunteer at every race, I'll make it work." 3 weeks is a short rest in the big picture.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

sorry I didn't reply to this sooner! What kind of inserts? Did you take the factory insert out? I've worn orthotics and the inserts that you mold to your feet. They can make your foot sit higher in the shoe than the factory. Some shoes are worse than others, Brooks work better than Asics. You also need to break in inserts, start with walking before running.
                oh sure I give you something to ponder while your sitting around bored and instead you wait till you get home!! seeesh Tongue ok, back to seriousness, so they are walking/running inserts. Doc gave them to me because they have heel support so there is more to absorb some of the shock or something. I did take the factories out. They do make my heel sit higher which is weird because my heels had just gotten the back worn in nicely and now they make the shoe feel like it's too big or something, but i just think it's because it's not sitting in the rub spot - if that makes any sense. so i pulled the insert out and put it on the floor and put my foot on it and the ball of my foot is not where the inserts ball of foot is... no wonder why the arch feels out of place - it is! is it ok if I've decided to switch today's run till tomorrow?? I can give you my excuses, but that's really are they are...

Bugs

Btw did you notice I love to tease Erika?
                  And it really gives me a chuckle. Keep it up. Yes

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

So sleepy - I came as close to not running as I could without actually not running this morning (does that make sense?). There were two things that got me out the door this morning. First, had I gone back to sleep the guilt would have kept me awake so I would have gotten the ugh of not enough sleep but not the benefits of the run. Secondly, and more importantly, I thought of Bugs and TP. I felt that since I COULD run, I should take advantage of that gift. 6 miles with striders on the TM. It was cold and I couldn't decide what to wear (jacket? Long sleeve shirt?) so I said to heck with it and ran indoors. Can't wait to race on Saturday!

Bugs

oh sure I give you something to ponder while your sitting around bored and instead you wait till you get home!! seeesh Tongue ok, back to seriousness, so they are walking/running inserts. Doc gave them to me because they have heel support so there is more to absorb some of the shock or something. I did take the factories out. They do make my heel sit higher which is weird because my heels had just gotten the back worn in nicely and now they make the shoe feel like it's too big or something, but i just think it's because it's not sitting in the rub spot - if that makes any sense. so i pulled the insert out and put it on the floor and put my foot on it and the ball of my foot is not where the inserts ball of foot is... no wonder why the arch feels out of place - it is! is it ok if I've decided to switch today's run till tomorrow?? I can give you my excuses, but that's really are they are...
                      Sorry, my concentration has been crap. I assume they are the white styrofoam kind. I wore mine with the factory inserts, but you do what works for you. If you need to make them higher you could add a Dr. Scholls insert. They are pretty thin. You'll get use to running with these and it will feel like running on pillows.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Well, I've been TMing for long I forgot how to dress myself for outdoor running. It's looking pretty good for the HM on Saturday, mid to upper 30s. Short sleeves and a light jacket? Long sleeves no jacket? Short sleeves no jacket?
                        evanflein

MrInertia, you taking votes? I'd vote for light long sleeves, no jacket. Be sure the sleeves can be pushed up if you get warm. For mid-30's I'd also wear gloves, but I frequently do, even if in shorts and short sleeves cuz my hands get cold easily. Sounds like you're doing much better these days. I agree with you on the TM... very useful tool. I get fed up with people saying "I hate the treadmill" it's like saying you hate a hammer. You may not like running on the treadmill, and it surely isn't ideal all the time, but in some situations it's MUCH better than not running at all. And I credit my recent increases in speed this year to my fast (10k pace) mile repeats on the TM in January/February getting ready for that relay. I sure wouldn't have done that kind of work outdoors! Bugs, sure hope you're feeling better. Has the doctor(s) given you any real info on what happened? Or just general "perfect storm" of several factors? Sounds like you ran low on electrolytes if they're telling you to eat more salt (i.e., sodium) and potassium. Have a banana! (there I go being mom again...) Cash, what's next for you? You had some kind of long runs there for a bit... I was wondering what you were up to. As for what's next, I've been thinking about that. I'm concerned about AFTER Boston. As many of you know, I've been doing a few marathons lately (Boston will be my 7th since mid-August), and I've gone over 2 months now since my last one and getting itchy to run! (Carlsbad was Jan. 20) But... after Boston... I've got nothing on the schedule till Equinox in September. I want to do several others but for $$ reasons I can't. Oh sure, I've got my regular summer schedule, which is actually pretty full and starts with a 5k (goal is to PR and maybe go sub-22) on May 3, but no more marathons. I'm hoping it keeps me busy enough to not get into too much of a marathon-deprivation slump... Not sure what the point of this is, except to vent. 8.77 miles last night, avg pace 7:52... now that was fun.
                          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

As for what's next, I've been thinking about that. .
                            Is it time for you to start doing ultras?

Happy Camper

As for what's next, I've been thinking about that. I'm concerned about AFTER Boston.
                              Adventure Racing!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Bugs, sure hope you're feeling better. Has the doctor(s) given you any real info on what happened? Or just general "perfect storm" of several factors? Sounds like you ran low on electrolytes if they're telling you to eat more salt (i.e., sodium) and potassium. Have a banana! (there I go being mom again...)
                                Low blood pressure was the reason for fainting. Heart arthymia they don't have cause for. But if you read on low blood pressure I have had all the symptoms. Think God was just giving me a good shake. When I went to the clinic BP was lower than normal, they said that was good. But it's not so good when yours like to tip low instead of going higher which is more common. They did a cat-scan and found nothing in my head, go figure. I'm still having weird symptoms.. I'm just taking it easy this week, hoping to feel better, and will see DocC3 on Monday like scheduled and cardio specialest on 23rd. Oh...and I just ate a bananna. I'm going to take a break from the forums and try being a Zen Mom and Zen Wife. Smile See you in a week or two. Inerita, Good Luck this weekend. P2R Subfour - that's your mantra. Left Right, Left Right, repeat a few times and you got in the bag.

Bugs