Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/28 (Read 256 times)

Nice rack, Vix!  We have ours on hooks but I like the idea of having your name on top.

That's a good week, Erika -- you're building nicely.

3.1 miles, 29:29, 9:23/mi, AHR 130 (63% MHR)

Legs were tired from yesterday's run.  That means I'm doing it right Smile

How 'bout those 'skins?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Traveling right now from ND to MN. Had a training train-wreck with all this traveling and three days of blizzard with 20-40 mph winds,  no TM and non-plowed roads filled with 2-4 foot drifts. I am so happy to be headed home, without other people to make me feel gulity for wanting to exercise and me feeling tired, cranky and drained because I have a real psychiology need for exercise. I am clearly adopted and my blood family is off sking, running freeze your bun runs, or anything besides just sitting and eating.

Lou,

Those pictures are so cute. Enjoy that grandson, they grow up so quick.

Kim,

You didn't have a garmin before right? I have the 205 and wish I had the 305. Just not enough

incentive for me to upgrade but I am envious.

Perry,

Boy do I know what you mean about those later runs eating up your day. I think I will be a (mostly) morning runner for life. Next time maybe run a few miles before the group run?

Vix,

Did your DH make that or order it? Told/lectured my DH when I saw yours because it has been on the todo list FOREVER.

Erika,

Did you guys get hit with blizzard with lots of snow and wind too?

10 miles on TM for me today. Oh boring. Have most of the week off and I am planning on making all body parts hurt.

Cash,

I am signing up for a TRI! Don't get too excited. It is indoors, 15 min swimming, 20 minute of bike, 20 minutes of running. Go for your best distance, no winners race. So I need to find my swimsuit and then get my head in the water. I only plan to swim a couple times a week. 15 minutes should not be that bad right? I figure it is a good baby step to my first real TRI, which I do plan to do one day.

This multi-sport club might be just the thing I need to convince me to do a triathlon one day, like when the kids are older. The club's team shirts are bike shirts, so I guess they are big on biking. My RP joked that we will need bikes to go with the shirts.

Bugs

Hey everyone!!! I think I MIGHT be back lol. Muscles have loosened up enough so that the nerve that was being pinched is no longer pinched which means I'm able to run. I've still got to be careful and keep up with my tigerbalm/massage. I think I can do away with the meds and may be able to get back to lifting as early as next week. SOOOOOOOOO much better than last time. I thought for sure that it was gonna be a VERY long recovery. Keeping fingers crossed that it keeps improving (with no backsliding).

Anyway Hope everyone had an AWESOME Christmas! Hope everyone has a HAPPY AND SAFE New Years! 

Sending lots of safe travels for all that are traveling this week!! BTW Bugs your dh is nuts! Looks like I have some catching up to do.

Oh and LOVED the video and pictures Kim!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Baby Nate is just too cute Lou!!

Nice rack Vix!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

4 miles today in the snow.  Tried out the yak trax and my new running jacket.  Almost too warm but the footing was decent.  We had about 3 inches of fresh powdery snow.

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday.  Great run this weekend by the way Lou!

Kimmie has a 310xt.  Now we can be even more jealous.  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ringmaster

I have the 205 and sometimes wish I had the 305 instead, so I could keep an eye on my hr.

The rack came from mymedaldisplay.com. Just in case.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

evanflein

Gym day as planned: 12 minutes elliptical; 25 minutes weights and 15 minutes pool run. Would've liked to be in the pool longer, but DS1 and his friend were done before I even got in and waiting for me. I hate that... that's why I really prefer to go by myself. Oh well, got a good hour or so of "stuff" done and feel better for it. Then home to laundry and vacuuming.

Bugs, no blizzard here. Just a couple inches of snow that I didn't know was coming so made Saturday's run difficult. The wind we get here is nothing, I mean nothing compared to ND wind. Or MN wind. I've been in both, and don't care to ever be again! By Sunday, the wind (breeze?) was up to 15 mph gusts from the Northeast, meaning in my face on the way back up the hill to home. Not pleasant, but not miserable either. And the bikepath had been plowed so that was much better.

I have the 305, but hardly ever use the HRM. I also have the 205, and we have two 301's that I think I'll try to sell on Craigslist or Ebay. The satellite antennae on those really suck, but they do have the HRM.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Pam!

Kimmie

Just came back from a really chilly 5 mile run.... the wind was crazy!!!   But I loved it... I need to get my runs in from now until Boston.

It's so weird to struggle with motivation when I get out there, I'm super happy I went.  But then I had to MAKE myself go... what is that?  I FORGOT how much I like running?  I don't know... seems like some on this board never struggle with motivation... . that's awesome.  I need to channel my inner Lou-ness.   Smile

Bugs-  I had a 201 Garmin... an oldie but goodie.   I like my new watch but still figuring things out.  I need to learn everything before I get out the door, because once I'm running, I don't want to mess with the watch.  Exciting that you're doing a tri... I need to do that but I'm intimidated.  And I'm not intimidated by a lot but the swimming thing.... I need to take lessons.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Pam.   You are one tough and strong woman.  I"ll be curious to hear how you like P90X.... I wonder if it will be challenging enough for you, but you can make it whatever you need it to be.

Erika-  you're awesome.... some day I'll try pool running.

I need to channel my inner Lou-ness.   Smile

This comment was after I had looked at the wind (and my tired legs from Sunday) and decided to shift my schedule this week.  I had a 10 miler on the plan with 5@tempo today, which I'm swapping with tomorrow's run.  I think that's ok once in a while.  Smile

5.1 miles, 46:42, 9:11/mi, AHR 145 (71% MHR)

Bugs

310 has wireless sync - COOL.

Bugs

Dave

I need to channel my inner Lou-ness.   Smile

Sorry, Lou.  You're Mr. Consistency in my book .

We all need to channel our inner Lou-ness.  You even listen to your body when called for.

3.5 or so on the treadmill today.  Did almost half on the elliptical (machines were full) but I logged it all as running.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ringmaster

Here's one for you to laugh at--it was FREEZING today in South Florida--42 as I was running! And windy, too! As I warmed up I tried to get my hands out of the thumb-hole things but they got like ice and I had to put them back in. Of course it was my torso that was warm.

My swimming and biking are BOTH lousy, so I think it's single-discipline events for me. I like the sound of your tri, though, Bugs!

Kimmie, I'm not motivated either. I said I'd shoot for the 18+ run Saturday to see if I could make the run at the Gasparilla Marathon at the end of February, but honestly, my heart's not in it, and I wonder about the wisdom of even attempting marathon training with such a half-hearted attitude.

Oh, doc called back and said my bloodwork's all normal, so her working diagnosis is overtraining. She didn't say what my iron #s were, but I still think I'm going to try a vitamin w/ iron. Can't hurt, right? Right?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

Thanks for the comments, guys.  Hopefully I get out there tomorrow and do today's run just fine -- I'm this close to 2200 miles for the year -- just a number but it'd be nice to get there I suppose.

Vix - how much red meat do you get?  I think runners need the iron from red meat, but tend to stay away from it.  A good steak or burger once a week is beneficial (or so I've heard).  Of course, women deplete iron faster than men, so vitamins with iron sounds like a great idea.

So while Nate Jr (or NJ, as we call him) and his parents were here, we hired a photographer to come to the house to get some good pictures Smile.  She took 235 pictures, I think, but posted 11 of them to her facebook page, and put one of NJ's images as her avatar.  Here is NJ's album on her site (in case you haven't seen enough of him):  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=134532&id=50433558753&ref=mf

You guys are making me want a 310.  I'm trying to find information on whether it is more accurate than the 305 or not.  I think I asked a Garmin guy that question at some expo and he said no, but now I'm not sure.  Does anyone know if there are benefits over the 305 other than smaller, more waterproof and longer battery life?

evanflein

Here's one for you to laugh at--it was FREEZING today in South Florida--42 as I was running! 

Ok, I did have to laugh at this one. Not at you, Vix, but the comment and sentiment. 42 is awesome running temp as far as I'm concerned! Shorts weather, for sure! Even with wind... 

Lou, those pictures are beautiful! Very photogenic child... his grandparents aren't too bad, either! Yes, my inner-Lou-ness needs a wake up call every now and then.

After a day off from running (after the 12 miles on Sunday), my foot felt great and legs felt mostly recovered, even after the weighted squats yesterday. I'm really going to try to keep lower body strength training in my schedule as I build my running. I've really noticed the difference from the last 8 weeks of training... light as it's been. So today I thought I'd head out for 4-5 miles on more flat terrain. I have to balance hills and warmer temps, with flatter terrain and colder temps. I'm tired of running up the hill to get home, so headed for DH's office. From there, I headed West to the end of the plowed sidewalk, turned and went back then across the main road along the expressway another couple of miles. This is a nice bikepath, mostly flat but some gentle ups and downs, and one big railroad overpass along the way. Ended up with 7 miles, 8:27 avg pace, -11F at the start. Walked .45 miles to cool down, then back to DH's office to change into a dry shirt and down coat for the drive home. 

evanflein

So why doesn't my post above have paragraph breaks? It does in the "Design" window as I type... Sometimes I'm still not sure about these formatting changes Eric has done here...