Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/12 (Read 295 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

I can sign up. We'll see if I can run both. Will be fun lots of freinds and RAers running.
    i'm totally jealous!!! I wish I could come out for it!
    Kimmie

I ran 5.5 miles today with a friend and we attempted speed work... went pretty well until the wind hit us in the face on the way back- then it was just "make it back" When we were done, she said, " I hate getting sweaty for nothing" That's the difference between me and her... I think 5.5. miles is not nothing... she thinks it is... I know I need more miles in. Yay! Bugs! I 'm so excited that you are running Grandmas. I love Grandmas and I will follow you from afar. And I get not wanting to travel so far for just a half... My Mom wants me to come to northern Georgia to run a half by her, and I keep thinking... wow, that's a long way to go for just a half.

Oh Mighty Wing

4 today - felt really good!

Bugs

Kim and Shannon, I'm excited about Grandmas too. Lots of things up in the air yet, so we'll see if it's a goal race or a 26.2 marathon recovery run. It is not a bad run to run for fun. Erika, Read some race reports on disney, and they say with the crowds Disney is hard to run your fastest. Not sure how many people you had to hurdle. I know the chip has to be frustrating, but good news is, I think it's easy to say that'll never happen again. How are your feet doing? We were so worried you had injury problems, almost a relief it was a user error. Can't blame some lazy computer programmer for this mishap. Oh crap maybe we can. They should have had the fore-thought to buzz you as you cross the first mat that your chip was missing. Think this race was just a training run for you, and the next race will be a PR. -20F here. I run outside tomorrow, no matter what.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika, I hope you aren't beating yourself up too bad. I know it is hard, but there will be plenty of other races for you to PR at. And maybe this one just wasn't meant to be that race for you. And maybe this will just propel you to bigger things!!
            evanflein

Thanks, I'm getting over it. Oh, BTW, they said no. The gal who responded to my e-mail asking if they could use my finish photo time shot for a final time said no, I shouldn't have even gotten what I got. So, I won't push it and hope they don't take my 4:48 away! I talked to a guy here who runs marathons and he agreed it was a great opportunity to treat it as a supported long run. One of the things I tried was taking those electrolyte capsules while running. Mainly getting them out of the little container I have. Still can't do it. I'm also not real good at getting a Gu out and down the hatch. I have Gu on my face in my finish picture! Oh, and speaking of the pictures... I'd love to share the finish line shot, but that's about it. The others are pretty hideous. Kimmie, I wish I had hair like yours. Mine is so fine and limp... lots of product and patience to get it to do anything. Then I go run at lunchtime, and my whole afternoon is shot glamour-wise. Grandma's marathon would be fun to do, but out this year. I'm debating doing something totally maniac-ish... I believe that's the day of the Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage. I've always said I wouldn't do that one because it's the same day as our Midnight Sun 10k run at 10 pm. Some people do the marathon in the morning, fly home and run the 10k at night... so I was just thinking. BUT I have the Seattle Rock and Roll marathon the following Saturday (June 27) and want to do well on that one. BUT if I can find a May marathon (Bugs, that's why I was thinking Lake Wobegon), that would give me the 4 marathons in 4 states in 4 months... good enough for 3 stars which I'd really like to get this year. (Lou, you want to be a Maniac?? I never knew! see above paragraph... this is the sort of thinking you get once you cross that line!) And Finally... Yoohoo! Big fat ol' congratulations to Brian for the new addition to the family! Lots of hugs to you and your dear wife (who all us ladies know did the major work here) and your son... hope he doesn't poke the baby too hard. Wink And I absolutely MUST compliment you on the choice of name! Big grin
              evanflein

Oops, me again... Knew I forgot something! My running! Last night I ran 8 very peppy miles (8:19 avg) outside because we are having a heat wave! You see, we sent all our cold weather down to you guys (sorry Bugs) and we're enjoying a mid-winter chinook that has our temps in the 30's and low 40's. Driving is treacherous, and the footing is a bit slick in spots but oh boy is it nice to run in only one layer! Today I ran 4 easy miles with some hills. Legs feel great. Wouldn't know I just ran a marathon. Must not've worked hard enough.

Oh Mighty Wing

ERIKA THAT WOULD BE SOOO COOL!!!!! oh man i'm soo excited!!! I was actually contemplating whether or not i could get DH to agree to letting me go Grandma's... I would be fresh out of school and you know there would be a whole 3 weeks between God's Country and Grandma's... oh man I need to calm myself down!!

Bugs

Oh Shannon, You should. It does seem like it the race everyone is running this year. Even all my local friends. Funny two new MN marathons this year and everybody is still running Grandmas. 90 minutes, 9 miles. Could of ran faster but wasn't suppose to. Feel like I could go out and do it again.

Bugs

Cashmason

4 miles tonight after an hour spin. Matt is getting on my ass for not swimming yet in 2009. My 17 year old Pom ate almost an entire bag of mini mashmallows that I left out last night. Think she went from 6 to 7 pounds. She was looking a tad green today. She looks ok tonight though.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - oh no I hope she is ok! Bugs - I mentioned it to DH - he got a little mad. Told me that I could trade it for Tahoe. Other than that I need to look at marathons I can drive too. So yeah... I told him that I checked that first but it's more than 13 hours away and that's my driving limit - I don't think he appreciated that either.
                          Cash - dogs aren't the sharpest tacks in the box, especially when it comes to food, huh? Erika - I think Shan will be a maniac before I am -- she has the drive, that's for sure. PDR and I have been talking about this but haven't planned seriously for it yet. 3.1 miles, 29:18, 9:23/mi, AHR 130 9°F, with wind chills below 0. I dressed right so it was no problem, but I think it took longer for me to dress than it took for me to run Roll eyes MTA: I updated the chart on page 7 to include the end of the race. It doesn't show my pace well for this, but in sight of the finish line my legs got all wobbly (I thought I was going to fall) and I had to walk maybe 10 paces before I started running again.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Congratulations HuskerB! Fun times running. -4 yesterday. -1 so far this morning. Three layers for the lower body, 4 for the upper body, 3 pairs of gloves, two pairs of socks, a sock hat on top of the baraclava, all for 6-miles. I am such a weather weenie.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

MTA: I updated the chart on page 7 to include the end of the race. It doesn't show my pace well for this, but in sight of the finish line my legs got all wobbly (I thought I was going to fall) and I had to walk maybe 10 paces before I started running again.
                              That is some graph, Lou. What is really impressive is how you held your HR up over 180 from about mile 23 on. It is no surprise that you almost collapsed at the end. I've seen other people (and my own I think) where it just sort of fizzles out. Pace slows and your HR stays pretty even but you don't feel like you can go any faster and you can't really muster the energy to get your heart rate up either. I think I fizzled last weekend based on my HR splits. I'll try to make a point of posting it later on.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - do you go out too fast? (really i'm looking for why you think that HR fizzle thing happens)