Marathon Trainers

excitement blown (Read 132 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

This came out of the racing forum: Hi! I live and run in Dover! I will be doing the 5k this Saturday. I will be very honest with you, it's a very tough course. I ran the 1/2 marathon course the beginning of May and I hurt myself. Now I have to admit that it's probably my fault that I got hurt. I had been running 12 mile long runs up to that point so I though that 13 would not be a problem. The issue was with the hills. There are 3 significant hills on the course. The first I think comes around 3 miles and is pretty long, the second is shorter, but steep (I think it came around mile 5). The last one is also long and comes around 9 or 10 miles. There are also a variety of shorter hills on the course. My issue was that I wasn't warmed up enough to handle the demands of this course. I also have not been running too many hilly courses in my spring training. I could feel my right hamstring pulling on me about 11 miles into the run. Sure enough, the next day I could tell I had strained it. Happy to say though that I'm pretty well healed and running stronger again. I have looked at your log and I would like to make a suggestion. Please don't get upset with me for suggesting this, but I think the 5k may be a good option for you this weekend. I've noticed that in the past month you've done only one real long run of 9 miles. Long runs will get you through this course, but you need to do a few more of them to build your strength and endurance. I've run for 24 years and have completed 3 marathons and a few 1/2 marathons. Believe me, the long runs really help when you get to the final stages of a long race. I think your goal of a 1/2 marathon is realistic, but I would work on building your endurance over this summer by slowly and carefully increasing your long run. If you are familiar with the York area racing scene, there is the York Rail Trail 10 miler on August 23rd. This course is nice, flat cinder trail that actually is slightly (very slightly) downhill. Good place for a first long race. Then in October there is a 1/2 marathon in Hanover. Pretty decent course I think and the weather will also be cooler. Good opportunity for a first 1/2 marathon attempt. I don't want to spoil your plans for the 1/2 marathon this weekend, but I also want to see you be successful. I've also wanted to run the Double Creek 1/2 marathon, but after I ran over the course I probably won't be doing it for awhile. It really is a demanding course (at least it seems so for me). Whatever you decide, I wish you luck and hope you have a good summer training and racing season! Chris Thoughts?? Encouragment??
      Well, if you do the half I would take it very easy. I'm sure you've mentioned it, but have you run a half before? If you've really been wanting to run a half just to "check it off the list", you probably could survive it, especially if you mix in some walking. But, if the course is as hilly as it sounds you might not have much fun. Looking at your log, is that 9 miler the longest you've done in preparation? If so, the 5k really fits your training better. Here's some unsolicited advise that you can throw away if it's not what you want to hear. Although the streaking seems to keep you motivated to run more, it doesn't seem to be the best for your overall training. You've mentioned quite a few times that you had to drag yourself out the door for that mile, which I'm guessing you'd have been better served to rest that day and run 3 or 4 the next day. Through my marathon training I learned how necessary these mid-week runs are in supporting my long runs. The weeks I didn't get all of my mid-week miles in, the long runs were tougher. Tougher long runs probably also means tougher long races. So, it depends on why you're running. Reading back over this, it sounds kinda mean. Sorry if that's the case. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Dave

Brian, I don't think it sounded mean at all and it is solid advice. Still, you might be able to hang in and do the half. A hilly HM can be really painful but it doesn't have to be if you run it smart. If you go out slow and REALLY resist the urge to speed down the downhills, moderate your efforts on the uphill sections to conserve some energy for the last difficult hill at the end, you should make it. My HM in May was a hilly course and there were quite a few people suffering on the last 3 miles. As long as you're prepared for a bit of suffering, you can probably push through, even if it means walking some of the hills.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Brian, it didn't sound mean at all! Smile I haven't had to drag myself out the door for a mile since starting streaking. Running was more of a chore when it was only a couple days a week. If I do complain it's over something stupid like DH is sitting on the couch all nice and cozy and I don't want to leave him -- not i'm really tired and my legs could use a rest. I realize my training is weak for this. I really do know that. I plan on just running at a very slow pace, walking when I have to, and just doing what i can. I KNOW I will probably be sore after this. I EXPECT it to not be as pleasant as I want it to be. But I also know that mentally I NEED to do this so that I have motivation to go after it again better prepared. I could wait till the fall ones start rolling around, but what if i'm preg. by then (yes we are trying) and then what I ask you? So I think the timing is right even though I know I'm not prepared. Thank you guys for all your advice!!! I think I just need to hear that I should take it slow and be ready for some pain,but that I will come out on the other side.

Oh Mighty Wing

He reposted and said that to finish it I should be fine and to consider walking up the second hill as it's a killer!! That is a relief! I feel much better!

Bugs

Shan, Run it, just take it easy. Make a goal to finish not hurting and smiling. Walk through the water spots, walk up and down the hills, sprint across the finish. You'll be fine.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Now that's what I needed to hear! Big grin

Bugs

Shan, You know if I didn't think you should do it I'd say it. Sometimes there can be too much "caution" advice on these forums. There's always a risk to running. Play it smart, but definitly get out there and play.

Bugs

Cashmason

Do it! It is summer time, so it will be hot. Hot means you will run the distance slower than in the fall when it is cooler. Run when you can, walk when you have too. You have done enough training to finish. Next time you can train enough to train for a better time. Be sure to hydrate, enjoy the race for what it is. Don't beat yourself up over a goal time on a tough course in tough conditions. Don't eat the paste. Have fun. Cash
                    evanflein

Looking forward to hearing how you do in this. Keep your head about you and go out easy. Watch your pace and hydration. I think you'll have fun.

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks!! I can't wait to come back here and post about it! I've been debating with whether Garmie will help me keep me calm and relaxed during the race or if I will freak out if I can see how slow i'm really going....
                        Cashmason

I like the Garmin during a race to see what mile I am at. I also race by heart rate so I look a lot at that. I never worry about the pace, during a race. Terrain and heat make too much of a difference to worry about it. I will look at the time, the last couple of miles of a race, to see if I am near a PR and if I pick it up, can I make a time. The first few miles it doesnt really matter to me.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - that makes sense. And exactly how I would want to use it. I was thinking about using my screen that just has mileage. I was thinking like you that it might be nice for me to see how far along I am. And if I can't see pace or time it would keep my obsessing to a minimum.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - that makes sense. And exactly how I would want to use it. I was thinking about using my screen that just has mileage. I was thinking like you that it might be nice for me to see how far along I am. And if I can't see pace or time it would keep my obsessing to a minimum and help me avoid paste!
                                The best part about taking this one really easy is that your next half will also be a PR!