Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/3/10 (Read 177 times)

Kimmie

Murphy, I agree with everyone who says that a training partner is invaluable.  I think you just have to keep asking around... you never know who you may meet that may turn into a great running partner.  I've know a lot of runners, so i'm fortunate.  Sometimes the personalities or schedules don't always gel, but keep your eyes open.

I also think that virtual training partners is a good idea.  Maybe we could do a buddy system here or something.

And I just want to encourage all of the parents of young children... we are hard on ourselves for not running more.  We struggle with guilt for running and taking away time from the family.  It's all about finding the right balance for your family.  But I do know that it's an awesome example to show your children.  

I am fortunate to work part time and be able to run while the kids are at school (most days)    Speaking of working part time, Pam, if you're interested, I think you'd make a great personal trainer.   Your body is a walking advertisement.  Smile  PM me if you want, and I can give you more info.

Bugs,

Can't believe that story about that jerk.   Too bad there are people like that- so rude.  

Dave,

We want to see more of you around here, so, you know, pick something to train for. Smile

I'm having the post marathon let down thing.  Not sure what's next.  I THINK Steamtown is it.   But, still looking for the mojo to get going on training.   It feels like it's far away, still.

I ran hard on the treadmill on Monday and my back still hurts.  I think I'm leaning back when I run?  Subbed 4th grade yesterday wearing the wrong shoes, so that didn't help.    I ran with the Girls on the run yesterday and then went to get Darby some new shoes.    She's never worn the expensive, real running shoes.   I mean, she is 9, and she's just started running.  But I loved seeing her smile and walk around the store in them.  She has major rolling in issues and these shoes will correct that.

When we got home, she asked me to run around the block with her so she could try them out.   It was one of those moments when, I REALLY wanted to be done with time on my feet,  but how could I say no to that?  Smile  So, we went.

That child is 9 years old and she wears a size 7.5!    I wear a size 9.  Pretty soon, I will be borrowing her shoes.

I hope she is truly enjoying the running and not just doing it because Mom does, or she wants to please me.   The 5K is in 2 and a half weeks.

Ok, enough rambling from me....

Have a good day all.

theyapper

On the road again...

Took me a bit to read and catch up.  A lot to process, for sure.  A reminder that balance is a great thing, and yet very fragile.

I want to say emphatically that I do NOT have bras in the front seat of my car.  There, glad that's out.

My body's tired, and today's run revealed that.  I just slowed way down, walked the hills, and turned it into a recovery run.  I getting very little sleep this week.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Mid 90's? For real? Wow. And I ran that whole damn thing? (negating a few water stops any ways.) Shit. I'm stoopid.

How should I train for Pocono? 'cuz I think I should train.

Hey I missed that. Great work. You have a serious advantage to run in the heat than the guys.. ice in the sports bra... no joke. You ice your body as you run. Got keep body temps down.

Bugs

Bugs

Murph, remember when I had a coach. The whole email thing takes a ton of time on both sides and it is not as great as it seems. Seriously I'd recommend just putting your shoes on and getting outside more. Listen to your body for training. Do you have a running group there?

I'd really like a true mentor from this group. Someone that will help with my training plans and will email me and that I can email off-site to help keep me on track.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

I'd really like a true mentor from this group. Someone that will help with my training plans and will email me and that I can email off-site to help keep me on track.

For me the mentor stuff has come from this website (and lots of log stalking of people like MikeyMike, Jeff, etc), with sanity checks from Pfitz's Advanced Marathoning and Daniels to make sure that's what makes sense. 

For motivation I wouldn't say I've had training partners, but rather competitive partners, people that I can race, give crap to when they beat me, or I beat them, compare training programs, commiserate when crap goes bad, and motivate me by their running with when I don't feel like running.  I've had a couple over the past few years, a couple locally, a couple in the state, and right now, Corland and I seem to have this race thing going, even though he's 30 secs behind me or so, he doesn't mind racing every now and again, and it really has helped both of us be better runners over the past year.  I guess it all depends on what makes you get out the door and run...

12 today, easy.  75 degrees here (definitely no 95 degrees), but it was warm enough for me to wish I had brought water along. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Perry,

You doing  a TRI?

I'll do a local tri on a local base, and probably any practice tri that we (my local tri club) puts on. I'm not doing any commercial ("real") ones. The biggest reason is that I don't feel like cycling at all (or else I'd target a half iron).

Serious training question. In Rochester (80 miles away), one week after Fargo half, three weeks before Grandmas they have a 20 mile run as a part of their marathon that day. The race is cheap, $15, no t-shirt, no official time, you just get to run with other racers. My original goal for Fargo was an 8:00 pace, I don't think I can do it. I was running that good in November but lost it. If I felt really good at Fargo, great weather maybe I'd go for it, but if not I'd be okay with doing a progressive run. (So damn fun passing people at the end) Do you think the 20 would be good training or bad? Naturally it would be faster than if I ran it alone. Don't have to decide on, just on the tap.

A 20mi run a week after a half and three weeks before a marathon sounds great to me.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hail to The Victors!

A 20mi run a week after a half and three weeks before a marathon sounds great to me.

+1.  And that far back, you can probably have it a little more toward marathon pace for part of it and not have it impact your race. 

Bugs

Thanks Guys! Hopefully I will have some runners to go with me. Would be nice to get a feel of what that marathon there is like.

Got some therapy on my abductors and hamstrings today.  Been tight for months. What a difference just walking. Feels just like when you get the car back from the shop, and you think wow why did I put up with that for so long.

Bugs

Cashmason

I want to say emphatically that I do NOT have bras in the front seat of my car. .

You aren't dating enough !.....................    wink

Cashmason

Bugs,  there are events called  Duathlons,   we call them  Du's.

They are run, bike,  run again events.     Usually each run is about 5k,  and the bike is normally about  20k = 13 miles  or half marathon length.

Depends on what kind of layout the race director can get.

Hawt and sexy

I really did put ice in my bra.

I have been tired everyday since the marathon. I just can't shake it. Pfffttt.

Someday I might be in a race where I can 'race' again. I just need to find one where the stars align and I get the right weather and course.

I'm touching your pants.

Happy Camper

Bugs,  there are events called  Duathlons,   we call them  Du's.

They are run, bike,  run again events.     Usually each run is about 5k,  and the bike is normally about  20k = 13 miles  or half marathon length.

Depends on what kind of layout the race director can get.

Aquathons are out there also.  They can be swim  + bike, no run or swim + run, no bike.  Very popular depending on what your current injury is.

Running is good now.  Some tell-tale signs of over-reaching but I'll be fine. (slower pace, can't sustain GA heart rate, runner's rage , eating too much, blah, blah, blah)  Good thing is my HR is 130ish for a slightly less than 10 min mile average on a cool morning.  The weight I've lost helped get my 5k times of 24:05 in February and March to 23:08 last weekend.  Haven't ran that fast in one since 2007.  I'll have another in June and a 4 miler in July tp tack progress. Plan to train through them like last weekend.  My goal is to be <15% body fat by August and I should make it.  I'm on pace for a 100 mile week with a few more days of good running. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Murph, remember when I had a coach. The whole email thing takes a ton of time on both sides and it is not as great as it seems. Seriously I'd recommend just putting your shoes on and getting outside more. Listen to your body for training. Do you have a running group there?

Yeah, I definately am itching to get back out there. My back is feeling good and the soreness is subsiding. In my mind there is a big difference between mentor and coach. When I hit a lull, I will tend to disappear from here. You guys are very supportive and motivating. But if I feel Ive let myself down with my training its really easy to not log on. If I get the occassional email pushing me along--as weird as it sounds that would help keep me on track. Im not wanting someone to plan every minute of my schedule.

I hadnt run a race in over a year. After the half Iwas waiting for my brother in law. And I was watching the full marathoners that were qualifying for Boston and finishing under 4 hours. seeing their excitement and pride kinda choked me up. I remember how I felt after finishing my first. I think Im back in the right motivational state of mind. I want nail a marathon for myself again.

There are some running clubs. But I just really dont think thats for me. Id rather sign up for races to make sure I get my longer runs in. I just cant keep a definitive schedule during the week, and I prefer to run late in the evening, and also I will be running at lunchtime.

Bugs

P2R,

Nice miles. 

Aquathons are out there also.  They can be swim  + bike, no run or swim + run, no bike.  Very popular depending on what your current injury is.

Never heard of that, weird. 

My first TRI is going to be July 10th. It is for rookie's and just  swim .4 miles, Bike 8 miles, Run 4 miles.

5 miles at 5 a.m., got home, did a load of laundry, made the kids eggs, got dressed and at work by 8:00 to check facebook. Smile Feeling like I'm ready for the other 30 miles planned for the week.

Bugs

Crap, I've barely been able to get on and post, much less read -- sorry for that.

Just a drive by here: ran 6 miles at recovery pace this morning, still so far so good.  There was a question about a backup marathon, and I have one identified in PA around 6/13 (forget which one), but likely won't run that.  We'll wait for the freedom marathon (WV) in Oct, then Marine Corps 4 weeks later.

Our daughter and grandson has come to visit for 9 days.  He's such a delight, very smiley and he's getting past the stranger anxiety and letting Harriet and me hold him.  I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com