Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/24 - 3/30 (Read 236 times)

Happy Camper

Photobucket There I am, willing my way to 65th place! Winner finished in 1:10. Glad it was an out and back. I couldn't believe the pace and the lead the guy had. He ended up winning by 3 minutes. Not bad for a little town in West Central MO to attract 1:10 & 1:13 ability for a 1/2M with a field size of 118. Easy 6 this morning. 45 miles planned for the week. Got my bib number via email for St. Louis today. Hope everyones ills and illnesses are better. It's starting to look and feel more like Spring finally.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

P2R, That's an awesome photo. Love your outfit..you look like a pollen jockey from the movie Bee. Smile If you haven't seen the movie, trust me, it's a good thing. 3 easy for me today. Got my graston bill. Insurance paid for most, I pay only $5.97/visit, to hell with rising health care costs. Smile

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - nice photo!!! Bugs - ahh the joy of healthcare! Had a nice run today... hilly and on trails. we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. The trails weren't well marked, the garmin operator (me) is an idiot who presses start and stop too many times so I had to guess the distance. No time too many "where the hell are we moments". Still pretty nice.
          Did my first threshold run in 3 months yesterday, overall pretty satisfied with the result. I've got a 14km fun run on Sunday with the aim of doing 5:00min/km or 8:03/miles. Threshold run was done at 5:10per km/8:20per mile which was ok, legs felt really slow and heavy at the start - needed some waking up! Also I bought a treadmill last night, very exiciting, will have me all set for the Australian winter! Aim this week is to find a balance between continued training for the marathon while tapering a little for this run... Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Hank - it's funny hearing you prepare for the winter while we're finally getting done with ours. Though, our Tulsa winters aren't much to complain about compared to most others. Cash - Thanks for the IT band advise. I sent it all along to dad and he thinks the gym he goes to has a foam roller. He'll give it a try. I've never had ITBS, but it sounds nasty and tough to get rid of. Shan - Wish I ran more trails, but I'd have to drive 20 miles or so for good ones, and I'm such a klutz I'd probably break an ankle. Today's a rest day for me. Had 2 good runs this weekend, getting ready for my 2nd 20 this weekend. Loving the weather we're having.
            Cashmason

Note that the gym probably does have a foam roller. Also note that they get squished out of shape with frequent use. Mine at home is ok after a year. The ones at the gym look like a clay rope after a 3 year old has played with it, all lumpy and out of shape.

Dave

Great pic, P2R. You look strong. No running since Tuesday last week. Family ski trip to Grand Targhee, Wyoming, burning up almost all my remaining air miles before they expired. Great snow, great skiing. Super place for families but VERY low key and quiet. Also relatively affordable. Unfortunately, DW caught an edge in some deep snow and blew out her knee on her second run, first day. Torn MCL, possible ACL tear as well. Still waiting to get in for an MRI. Gotta love managed health care Undecided. At least we have the insurance. DD (age 10) went from beginner to intermediate slopes in only 3 days. Very cool. I'll post a few pics later on.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Aw Dave, that sucks. Hope her knee isn't as bad as it seems now... keep us posted. (does sound like a fun trip though!) Pace, nice photo! Winner was 1:10? amazing... So Hank... just how bad do the Australian winters get? (no, you're not being baited by the resident Alaskan... I'm really curious) Had a good gym workout yesterday. Heading out for 5-6 tonight. Last big week of running before taper... I have a trip to San Antonio scheduled for the second week of April, but at least I don't have to worry about fitting in 10 mile runs...!
                    Australian winters are probably laughable given some of the reports of what you guys run in during your winter. Put it this way, I never have to run in snow! Gets down to maximum temperatures of about 8-10C/45-50F with minimum temperatures normally around 3-4C/37-39F, which is probably still considered warm in some parts of the US during their winter, certainly none of this -20F that I saw on the TV during the Packers/Seahawks playoff was it? That said it's still cold for us, but the real reason I got the treadmill in the end is because the streets and paths around my house are really badly lit and it gets very dark here. Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Happy Camper

Pollen Jockey? Okay. I'll look for a red running hat. Smile ShanHas; How are you post Spring Break? DW is on hers and took off to decompress. She should be back tomorrow. HuskerB: Have you ever ran out at Bluff Creek? You'd think with some of the area lakes like tenkiller there would be something trail worthy. Dave: What a great trip. Hope DD's knee rehab goes well. Erika: Hope you have a killer frequent flyer miles plan. You have been racking them up. You should have a nice trip coming soon. 6-miles, 4 at goal pace. I'm getting a good extra hour of sleep with the taper cutback. It's gonna spoil me.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

6 miles, 53:40, nice even splits. Yoga class followed by an hour of spin; the majority of these bikers work in the hospital, and it's all shop talk, not fun someone who could care less. Think my walking out two weeks ago go their attention, oh they knew I was sick, and I was, but it was a much more enjoyable class tonight. Stopped at Victoria secret because I had a coupon. I mentioned "that I was starved but it's so late shouldn't really eat." Tiny girl says, "We were just saying to eat celery." Not thrilled I said, "I should go home and eat a big bowl of celery?" She says, "No just celery". Oh what a ditz. Big grin

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Hank - that's still cold. Especially when you are use to very warm. Pace - i think i'll be better next week once i'm back in the swing. This week I'm tired and cursing. And DH went away on business for a couple days which isn't helping... did not sleep well, had weird dreams... sucks! haha school isn't bad i'm just not useto being up so early since i slept in over SB. Where did your wife go? Bugs - glad it went better. It is hard to be the outsider in a group of insiders... and your VS girl is funny! I love ditzes you just can't help but smile!

Bugs

Hank, what is your summer liike? Erika has to run from moose, do you have to run from alligators and kangaroos? (sorry I have to ask, because turns out there are no seals in Alaska.) Shan that's a good description of the biking class. Funny, I'm use to runners who want to just talk about running and I dig that. Would have like to hear about more TRI training, but think this is a social group. Dgb AH THAT STINKS, makes for a less fun trip for all, and a very serious injury. Keep us updated. Is your wife a runner too? P2R, did you sign up for Des Moines or are you going to wait?

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Resisting urge to make snarky comment about Australian winter... Good luck on your 14K. ShanHas - oddball runs with no real mileage goals or set paths can be fun. Getting lost - not so much. dgb2n - sounds like a decent rip, even with the knee injury. Looking forward to pics. I was slated for some intervals this morning (6 miles w/5 x 600m @ 5k pace). I woke up, dead dog tired just before stupid. It was nice out this morning - nice enough to run outside. I was so effin tired that I couldn't decide what to wear. Shorts, obviously but what about upper body? Short sleeves with jacket? Long sleeve with no jacket? Since I couldn't decide, I went to the Y and ran indoors. How lame is that? Cut it a bit short due to time constraints (4 total instead of the 6 I wanted to get in) but overall a good workout. I've got a HM in under two weeks - really looking forward to it. My last few attempts at that distance have not gone well.

Bugs

Inertia, you're running really strong, becareful with your training the next two weeks and you will PR I bet.

Bugs