Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/24 - 3/30 (Read 236 times)

Hey all..sorry I havent checked in..but I really havent run. Back achiness and laziness. Way busy at work--which is good. But, I have the mini marathon Sunday. Feel healthy and rested--I think I'll do ok but less optimistic about beating my 1:30:00 PR. ALthough the cool temps may help me along. My other two 15ks were in very hot/humid temps. I'll do bett--I promise Smile

Bugs

P2R, post so everyone can see your avatar. I love it!

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Murphy - good luck!!! And we are just happy you check in and miss us!! Tongue

Happy Camper

Bugs: Bugs inspired avatar... Smile Good run for me this morning. It was on rail trail but 10-miles at tempo pace (8:16 avg.) Heart-rate was only 70 - 80% of HRR or General Aerobic effort, 158 bpm avg. Boring stuff, I know but good news, I think. Taper must be working. Expected it to be more in line to the average I had from the 1/2 last weekend. I'll allow it to be a good thing and not stress over it. Last harder effort. I'll do 7-miles on trail tomorrow and 20-miles next week leading up to marathon on the 6th. Amazing thing is I was drinking beer and eating wings with trivia and basketball going until the late games were over last night. It was hard making it for the 7:00am group run. Glad I did. Maybe I've hit upon the perfect, pre-race ritual...

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - that is a nice avatar you have there! 1 mile... Knee's did not hurt. Used my new inserts they felt ok. Certainly a different feel than the old ones but not bad. Would have ran farther - wanted to do 2-3, but ran 10 minutes after I ate a nice big tuna sandwich - not smart... not smart at all!
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I'm struggling. 12 miles today and it was tough. I can't tell if I'm making sure I don't overtrain or if I'm lazy. I'm tired. My legs are tired. Ugh

Bugs

P2R, Your avatar makes me smile. You were bookin today. Shan, Avoiding trouble issues is really hard with running. Happens to us all. Inertia, Hang in there. Maybe just an off day. It was a crazy two days for me. I did not drink any water yesterday and knew I could not run long today. I ran 3 very slow today instead. I would like to do 9 tomorrow, but if it's only 6 not going to sweat it. It's a cutback week.

Bugs

Today was 20 miler #2 for me, and I ended up running 21. Huge confidence boost for me because I was able to build my pace upto about MP over the last 10 miles. Followed the advise and kept the first 10 miles very easy. I honestly think I could have run 5 more miles, which was a great feeling. Other than the usual aches and pains from being on the road that long, I feel great. No doubt I won't have trouble sleeping tonight!
                    Well I finished my 12 week aerobic base building phase today celebrating with a 14.1km/8.8 mile fun run. Started off with 27,000 other runners, although half of those were doing a shorter run that started 30mins later so not as bad. Pace early was surprisingly quick given the crowds but controllable. I was putting in sub 5min km's at the start and felt reasonable, but was a bit concerned considering my race aim was to finish in 5:00min/kms. That said, I think it was kilometre 6 that dropped out to a 5:22/km and I though 'oh oh, this could be bad' - but every kilometre after that was sub 5:00! Went through the 7 kilometre mark in 33:39 which was pleasing. Got to the 10km mark which had a drink station (i'd avoided them all until here) and I considered getting a drink, but felt very comfortable in my stride and didn't want to break it up with a walk/drink so continued on - another good sign of my LHR training which has limited my fuel intake to runs over 2hrs! The last 4k of the race seemed to fly along, maintained my end race average during these kilometres and felt incredible - not short of breath, tired, stitch or anything like that at all. I ended up finishing in a watch time of 1:06:54, with the gun time only slightly higher than this so very pleased considering the aim was 1:10:30. This turned my 5:00min/km or 8:03min/mile aim pace into 4:45p/km or 7:38p/mile. I found this absoloutely extraordinary as during the strict aerobic phase the fastest any of runs got down to was one run of 5:28p/km which was exceptional with most runs averaging at 5:40p/km. This means I was going 1min p/km faster than I had trained. Another credit to the MAF training is that I achieved something I have never done before - I negative splitted a race for the first time! The first 7km was in 33:39 while the last 7.1km was in 33:15 which was incredible. Certainly sets me in good stead for my marathon in 14 weeks, i certainly have a lot more training to do including increasing my mileage significantly but this gives me so much encouragement to keep going. Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I - are you still a veg? Are you getting enough protein? I'm wondering because that was how I spent oct/nov last year. I was tired all the time my legs were tired everything was tired... when i upped my protein (aka went back to meat) my energy returned and my legs stopped being so tired. So was wondering if that could be a factor?? Bugs - i hate it when i don't fuel like i had wanted to. At least you had the sense to adjust your runs. Husker - WOW!! Great job and soo happy to hear it felt so great for you!! Hank - GREAT JOB!!! Glad to see you are seeing payoff for your training! Great race!
                        Hank - I did the same thing for most of last summer. First, it allowed me to build miles and stay healthy. Also, I am able to run way faster at the same low HRs now. Funny story, I ran my first 5k last March, averaged about 9:00 mm and my HR was ridiculous. Now, I can run my MAF runs really close to that. To be honest, I don't even get upto MAF on most of my easy runs now. Part of that is the weather. Ask me in July how fast my MAF runs are! I have to get up at 4:30 AM in the summer here to run in anything under 85 degrees and the humidity is pretty gross.
                        evanflein

Hope all you guys are doing ok... Bugs, I've sure been thinking about you a lot and hope you find the answers you're looking for. Hang in there, girl. Shan, you're doing great! Nice running, keep at it but take it easy. You've got some building up to do you know. Cash, love you man. Thanks for all those VRAA points. I'm racking up mostly running, but getting in more cross training this time around. I have a goal of posting no Zero days... so I'm even walking, etc, on "Rest Days" which I didn't do consistently before. Inertia, I'm concerned that you're not recovering. It does sound like possible overtraining. What's your next scheduled race? Maybe you can take some time off to do something different? Nice race, Hank! Always nice to set goals and run right past them. That seems a strange distance for a race... we have 8k's here, and 5 milers, and 10k's... but 14.1k just seems an odd distance. I had a great tempo run yesterday... 10.5 miles of rolling hills at 7:59 avg pace. I felt pretty smug until I saw my McMillan calculator said based on my 10k PR of 1:46, I should be doing tempo runs at 7:20 to 7:50 m/m. Hmmm, ok, but I bet that's not for 10+ miles with some hills! Today is my last 20 miler before tapering for Boston. Temps look perfect, I've had breakfast and coffee... gotta get ready and get out there before it gets too late! Have a great Sunday everyone!

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - I know I know... i'm trying not too get excited! And focusing on building slowly. My legs do feel surprisingly strong though which is nice! I expected my legs to be tired after the 6 and even the next day, but they weren't. So we'll see... I hope you have a great run!!! I can't believe Boston is soo close!!
                            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

No longer a vegetarian. I try to limit meat to less than once per week, though. possibly I'm short on iron possibly I'm over reaching possibly it's another nutritional thing lack of quality sleep absolutely a factor (but not the main one) I'm slated for a HM next weekend. I'm going to take a really hard look at my nutrition. This week I'm thinking: Mon - 6 Tue - 10 Wed - 6 Thu - off Fri - 3-5 Sat - HM I'm going to easy off the intensity of my runs (except for race day) and see what that yields. 7 weeks to go and I haven't gone over 16 so I'm getting concerned. The week after the race I'm going to hit 18-20 depending on how things are going. Keep a good thought out and send vibes my way

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I - those are a lot of things to consider... but at least you have some ideas!!! so ~~~~ good vibes ~~~~ to you!!