Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/30 - 1/5 (Read 332 times)

Dave

Doublepost. Oops

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Still coughing, but coming back. 1 spoonful of honey followed by 5 easy miles. Just call me Pooh. Murphy, thanks for being the leader on getting our group organized.

Bugs

Get better, bugs... My foot was bothering me the last couple days. First noticed a bit of pain when lacing up for my New Years run. Was really hurting on the inner heal and arch yesterday. Seems mostly better now. Definately need those new shoes. Im really pushing it with the ones Im running in currently. Wil probably pick up a new pair tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get my 5 in tomorrow and 10 in Sat/Sun. Weather will be much improved by Sunday..so no excuses..

Happy Camper

Good morning everyone! Having my coffee now before heading out to run. First morning in 3 days it's not single digits. Woot!!!!!!!! I'm headed to Colorado Springs Saturday. SIL and DD both deploy. They have a siberian husky and a shepard mix we will be sitting for the next 6-months. With two austrailian shepherds already at home I will definitely be pack leader! Glad it's friday. Hope to get to run the Garden of the Gods http://gardenofgods.com/home/index.cfm?flash=1 at least once. Bonus that it's going to be in the 50's the next few days. HRM has been a bit of a suprise. I'm basing zones on Heart Rate Reserve. Trying to do 60%-70% for recovery runs and 70%-80% for General Aerobic and Longruns. My breathing is really labored in the 70%-80% range. I would have guessed it to be closer to tempo pace. I'm wondering if the cold has some influence on Heart Rate? I know heat will make it run high but the past two mornings have been 8*F and I have had to push it harder than I wanted to get above 133bpm and stay there. Guess I just got spoiled by too many easy effort training runs. I hope the change of pace helps this year. Glad to see everyone is doing well!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

evanflein

Where's Erika?
            Yo, you called? I'm here... just took me awhile to find the weekly. I'm posting mostly over on the master's group, both here and at KR so finding I'm spending a LOT of time posting...! I'll check back in more now... just kinda buzy at work. Wanted everyone to know I'm still alive! Bunny and groove... are you new to our family? Or did you post at CR with different names? I'm finding a lot of people changed names when they changed sites...
            Cashmason

8.5 miles biking Immediately followed by 1 mile running Then to the race expo, pick up race packet and then the rains came.
              Travis Groom

Ugh...is it spring yet!? 8k of snowy hills on Wednesday. Nothing quite like running in place when you're suppose to be going up the hill...I swear it's like running in quicksand...ah well, gives me a reason to curse the hill and yell halfway up (at least I am entertaining to everyone else I suppose.) 7k tempo run on Friday. Great pace and felt amazing (and it was warm!!! 30ºF!!!) Friday is my normal rest day, and taking today off because I'm feeling a bit run down and training officially starts on Tuesday, so taking my last Saturday of rest and enjoying it before all hell breaks loose. And Evan, I am new to the group. Was looking for a good training log site/excel sheet/something and ran across this board. Trying it out for a while. Wink

Dave

Spring arrives here in Virginia next week. At least temporarily. Highs near 70 by midweek. I intend to make the best of it. Sorry about rubbing that in. We pay for it in the summer heat. Blush Think about how much easier it will feel when spring finally does get here. P2R, what you described with having to push hard to get your heart rate up sounds very much like stories I read in my HRM book about people with well developed aerobic bases. With the miles you put in, it doesn't surprise me. That and there is a big difference for me between 70% and 80%. 70% is an easy pace for me and 80% is moving out pretty aggressively. You may be capable of much faster paces than you think. Big grin Managed an easy 5.5 today. Will go long tomorrow again. Wraps up my second week ever over 30 miles. I think I'm going to have to add a 6th run to get my mileage much higher.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Some good running here. P2R, do you get Runner's World? Their is an article in last month's issue that the cold makes for a harder workout. I will post of some it if you don't have it. I've talked with several runs around here, they all say they run slower in the winter, and believe it is because the cold makes your heart work harder just to stay warm. I also believe this is like the heat, where some people can take it better than others. groov2485, where are you? Very wise to start training rested. I don't think I back-off enough. Cash, you biked before your race? OMG, you are a die-hard. Erika If you're not around, nobody keeps me inline! I am struggling with this chest cold. Mostly I feel fine, but start running and feel weak. Today I ran 2 and quit. Last night felt like a brick was on my chest. I'm just not over this cold, and it's the "below the neck" kind now. I have a 12K on Saturday that I have been targeting for a long time. The hotel is expensive and was thinking of dropping out, but the family still wants to go because the kids will get to swim in the pool for two days, DH gets to gamble, and they have a buffet. Roll eyes So I guess it's a "fun run" not a "PR run".

Bugs

evanflein

Well Bugs, a fun run can be a good thing. Also, don't over do it if you're not feeling well. You can really dig yourself into a hole that way. A 12k huh? That sounds like a good distance...not quite 7 1/2 miles... I'd like to run one of those sometime! P2R, you're a machine! Nice to see the logs here... yours is most impressive. And I agree with Dave. I think you need to do some speed work to get more comfortable with faster paces... 8 miles today on the treadmill, tempo run sort of. miles 2 through 7 were at or above marathon pace. I was going to run outside, but was glad I stayed home... Urgent pit stop required at the 3 mile mark that would've been really bad news out on the road! Blush Tomorrow's plan is my last long run before Carlsbad... 16-18 miles, and I plan on doing it outside!
                      Travis Groom

Bugs I live in Edmonton, Alberta - Canada. Where we live in igloos and ride moose to work. Ok, it's not that bad. Hope you feel better!
                          its hot 78 and sunny ran my 20.5 today could have gone the full 24 but my knee started yelling at me Angry happy running to all! send some of that cool weather down to Tampa!!!!!
                          beaumont

Hi everyone! I was debating giving up posting because I was so annoyed by the CR site..but after my fantastic run today I realized I needed to make the move over here! Big grin 6 miles in thick thick fog....it was a little creepy but made for an interesting run. Hope everyone is doing well! Beaumont

Dave

Welcome, Beaumont. I think you're going to love it here and the group seems to have mostly reformed. I got 10 in today. Felt pretty good. IT starting to tweak just a bit. Hoping its nothing. Murph, you might want to consider adding others (maybe even all) as administrators. Check out what's happening over the 1500 mile group. The front page changes pretty often and it is getting entertaining. Might be a good place to put marathon pictures from the group?

dgb2n@yahoo.com