Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-2 (Read 324 times)

Cashmason

Note to self: Just because it is only 20 degrees, does not mean you should forget the sunscreen, especially when any sunlight gets reflected off the snow, so you get a double dose of sun. Good to see you running again Peach. Shan, sorry to hear you had to give up your big dog. It was the right thing to do, and it still hurts. Bugs, you aren't supposed to get sick till taper time. Lou, how was the skiing? Did take running clothes, but my running clothes are shoes, shorts and short sleeve tee shirt. Did not feel like running in that in 0 degrees in the dark, on icy sidewalks in a town I don't know that well. So no running.

Happy Camper

Cash: Still sounds fun. Maybe you should ski shirtless and work on the whole body tan. Big grin Shan: You did the right thing. Dogs are lucky to live in the moment. You found him a good home. He's happy. He will always be happy. Dinged my lower back somehow. Was able to do some stretches this morning and loosen the area up so I did pullups and will try to run. The quadratus lumborum area. Tight next to the spine so it hurts down the butt through the leg and bottom of the foot. I am taking today off as vacation so I can stand more and take care of some errands. It's ironic. I am in the process of joining a relay for the American Odyssey in April. Starts in Gettysburg and runs to DC. 200 miles in 24 hours. 12 - 14 runners on the relay team. I booked the flight yesterday. I will be going with a friend from here. Hope to get the details finalized soon. Cleveland is the furthest NorthEast I've been so it will all be new for me. I am excited to train again finally and now the low back acts out. Angry

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - hope your back gets better quickly!! The relay sounds fun! Cash - ohh you were away I wondered where you'd been! Hope you had fun!! Bugs - I could never be disappointed in you! I'm a big weenie... still... I thought I was over that... but while i ran on the treadmill I got a cramp and started seeing spots and my vision was blurry... about 1 mile in... so i stopped... i donno why I stopped - I felt fine... i'm just the world's biggest weenie... if you could all reach through the monitor and slap me that would be AWESOME... THANKS IN ADVANCE!
          Good morning! Pace - I have had back issues, and that's no fun. For me exercise has always helped, but everyone's issues are different so I'm not recommending anything specifically for you. I hope the relay works out -- you'll be running just west of our town of Frederick MD, I see. Cash - we've been on the slopes one day and are getting our legs back. We're both taking lessons at our individual levels this morning. It's a little warmer than we'd hoped -- it's already 30°F at the summit this morning. This makes the snow a little stickier than I like, and more likely to freeze up for the next day. Yesterday's conditions were excellent -- plenty of packed power and no ice to speak of. Bugs - run your own race and don't worry about us. Smile Shan - smak! Wink I probably won't run today -- the timing of when it gets light out vs. the ski lesson is just a bit tight and I don't want to worry about it. Plus I'm getting a good deal of cross-training work. Plus if my lesson is on the blacks I don't want to go into it with tired legs. So there.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

i'm just the world's biggest weenie.
            This: is the worlds biggest weenie. You look nothing like it. Of course, waiting for a good foot of snow on the ground probably isn't helping your running Evil grin We've got nearly a foot of fresh snow and all the schools are closed. Government is on a two hour delay even though its still snowing. Huh? Guess I better get ready for the 25 mile trek into work. Its going to be like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles today. Sorry to hear about your back Pace. If you heal up and run it, Lou and I may have have to come out for it. Enjoy the slopes, Lou. That's plenty of a workout for me. I wouldn't be thinking of running Big grin I remembered again why those fast finish long runs are infrequent. Pretty sore afterwards yesterday. Felt basically like I'd run a marathon. Hips were a bit cranky this morning shoveling snow. No running today but I expect to get back on the treadmill tomorrow.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Cash, I'm getting the being sick done early this year. Well actually I get a bad cold/cough something every year at this time. However this time I am staying out of the hospital. You have snow in california? Dave, Too bad about the snow, winter is done in MN, it's spring here now. Wink Nobby tells me to run these long runs well, and they are schedule for every other week, but not to put 100% into them. Always end like you could have put a little more into it. Sorry you are sore, you just take it EASY from here to marathon. Do you have a 5K to run a week or two before? I think that would be smart. Lou, Have fun sking. Don't do a Sunny Bruno though. I would like one more round of good jobs on that 16 mile LR at a 8:56 pace. I'm still eating that run up. Smile

Bugs

Sorry bout the sun burn Cash. Enjoy your no run day! Sorry to hear about your back Pace! Back issue's are NO FUN!! Enjoy skiing Lou! NICE run yesterday Dave!! Glad to hear we're not the only one getting snow. I really should of checked the forecast Saturday night so that I would have made sure to get up early yesterday to get a run in before heading out to Jersey. THIS is why I have such a hard time taking time off. When I do something always happens and I get more time off than I bargained for. Kids have no school so another off day for me *sigh* MTA: Great job on the LR bugs Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Hey P2R! That's the relay that I'm running.... I can't wait- One of my legs is going to fall around 3 am! Let me know which legs you'll be running. Lots of activity here with not as much running... Smile As Dave mentioned, tons of snow- just got back in from sledding with the kids. Does that count as exercise? I will probably try to make it to the gym later with them if the roads get plowed. otherwise, like Pam said, unscheduled day off. I'm regretting giving my treadmill away last year. Hey Shan- I'm no doctor, but spots on your vision? That doesn't sound good- and it definitely doesn't sound like you are being a weenie. Take care of yourself. And Bugs- great job on the run! Cash must be somewhere else other than CA. and Lou is skiing= how cool. Dave- if you and Lou come to cheer pace on, you'll have to cheer for me too. Smile I'm a little nervous about a 24 hour relay. no sleep? and running in the dark? hopefully I don't let my team down. I'm the slowest on my team but not by much. and they SAY that we're just doing it for fun- no pressure about time.

Bugs

I'm a big weenie... still... I thought I was over that... but while i ran on the treadmill I got a cramp and started seeing spots and my vision was blurry... about 1 mile in... so i stopped... i donno why I stopped - I felt fine... i'm just the world's biggest weenie... if you could all reach through the monitor and slap me that would be AWESOME... THANKS IN ADVANCE!
                    I agree you're not a weenie. I'm not sure what's going on. Are you still sick? Still dehyrdated? Try to get some healthy eating in, a nap, and go for a walk and get some fresh air.

Bugs

Bugs

Dinged my lower back somehow. Was able to do some stretches this morning and loosen the area up so I did pullups and will try to run. The quadratus lumborum area. Tight next to the spine so it hurts down the butt through the leg and bottom of the foot. I am taking today off as vacation so I can stand more and take care of some errands. It's ironic. I am in the process of joining a relay for the American Odyssey in April. Starts in Gettysburg and runs to DC. 200 miles in 24 hours. 12 - 14 runners on the relay team. I booked the flight yesterday. I will be going with a friend from here. Hope to get the details finalized soon. Cleveland is the furthest NorthEast I've been so it will all be new for me. I am excited to train again finally and now the low back acts out. Angry
                      I hope your back feels better. You've had this before right, do you have a chiropractor that you use? We should really do a group relay. I know I bailed on the group race, but I really wanted to do a get together.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey everyone. Lots going on here and I feel like every time I pop in there's too much to remember. So... Have fun skiing and don't forget the sunscreen cause it could make you sick which could affect a relay run that you hope goes well. Hmm, did I get everything? We got about 4 inches of the white stuff last night and they just finished sending the plows out to clear the road for my run later this afternoon. That's so nice of them. Big grin Have a great Monday! I'll post after my run.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Gosh I love not having to choose between sleep and running. Big grin First day back after four days off due to illness, ran 8.4 miles on the TM. Felt a bit labored, but not bad at all. It's good to be back.
                          evanflein

I love those relays!! The Ragnar del Sol Relay in AZ just finished up last weekend. I ran it last year but couldn't do it this year. They are a blast! You guys will have so much fun... oooohh! I'm green with envy! Roll eyes Shan, sorry you had to give up your dog, but that's a very responsible decision to give her the better home if you couldn't keep her. And everyone needs to throw themselves a pity party every now and then. The key is to know when to leave. Sounds like you did that. Good for you! Have fun skiing, Lou and Cash. Sorry to hear the east coast is getting all the snow and you aren't. Always seems to work that way. I wouldn't worry about getting runs in, either. Mr. I, choosing between sleep and running sucks. I have to choose between general family time/housework or running. I do miss out on the former, don't care so much about the latter! Bugs, here's another atta girl for your run. Wish I felt good about mine... Sorry to hear about your back, P2R. That sucks. I know cuz I'm there too. But mine is self inflicted with too much snow shoveling on Saturday... I'm blaming that workout for my sucky run yesterday. Goal was 20 on the treadmill. Was going to start out at 8:49 pace on a 5/5/5/5 progression run. Probably should've started at 8:57 (6.7 mph), but nooooo... I felt pressed for time so I thought, "let's just speed this thing up a little!" Started with 5 miles at 8:42, 5 at 8:34, 4 (oops) at 8:27... really struggled through that mile #14.... then last mile at 8:50. I probably could've kept going for another slow 5 if I'd given myself a break, but I'd hit a wall mentally and physically. Felt like crying. What a baby. But I walked a mile to cool down and got off. Now I'm looking at how I can re-arrange my schedule to try again next week, and that might actually help with the travel schedule I have later this month.

Bugs

Erika, You're taking this woman's lib thing way too seriously. We still make the men do the snow removal. In fact Saturday I was determined to rest and do nothing I made DH take son to a birthday party. No way I was going to be on my feet for two hours when I could be taking a nap. Sorry about your back, and your run. You were right to stop. We shouldn't struggle through workouts. Just causes us to be burnt-out on race day.

Bugs

Kimmie

Erika- I still think 14 on a treadmill, especially at that pace, is amazing. Ok, if you live in Alaska- doesn't everyone have snow blowers? I'm sorry if that's a stupid question. Remember, I'm from Florida originally. And DH is out of town, so I attempted the shoveling this morning and gave up because of the wind. Big grin