Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-2 (Read 324 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

just under 10 miles this morning Smile
      Thank gawd the kids had school today! It was delayed for 2 hours but that just meant my dd could sleep in so she wouldn't be so grouchy this am. Got in a little over 18 miles today and it felt GREAT! Pace was faster than planned but such is life.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

nice Pam! 5 for me - back to doing the fitness center so it was the treadmill... oh well - that's much better than I normally do on that thing!
        Kimmie

Ran 6 miles on the treadmill- Mile 1- warmup- 6.0 mph Miles 2-5- speed- 7.5 mph- with about one minute in between to stretch and get water. Mile 6- cool down- 6.0 Hmm.... the 8 min. per mile pace was tough- but I did it. It's making me wonder whether I can hold that pace for 13.1 miles. I need to get a heart rate monitor- I checked my HR in between each one and it was always high 140s- that's not very high, is it? How high should it be when running speed? Stayed at the gym and did a great upper body workout- really challenged myself with some ball work.
          Cashmason

Kimmie, Polar heart rate monitors often work with treadmills. Meaning if you wear the chest strap, the heart rate will show up on the treadmill screen as well as your watch. Even the cheapest Polar hrm that only shows current heart rate and nothing else works at my gym. Also works with the gym bikes and elipticals as well. My target heart rate on long runs is 137-143. Thats about 6.3 mph on the treadmill. When I get to steady state runs, which are about 7.4 miles per hour, my heart rate climbs to 155-163 or so. That is about marathon pace right now. But everyone's heart rate will be different based on fitness, age and genetics. The tricep comment was just me spouting off about how training I do for cycling and swimming, happened to be useful, while skiing. I also find that the leg strength I have gained from cycling has dramatically improved my running. However, my cycle training is very much like running. We do long rides, hill rides, tempo rides and intervals. Just riding with friends on the beach path at a leisurely pace doesn't do squat.
            evanflein

My heart rate is always higher than others doing about the same speed, but I don't think I'm working much harder, if at all. It's strange. I tend to do moderate pace stuff in the 140's to low 150's, but any sort of speed work pops it up to 175 right away. 5.1 miles on the treadmill at lunchtime, easy pace. Pam, I take it you don't work outside the home? There's no way I could run 18 on a weekday...

Dave

I need to get a heart rate monitor- I checked my HR in between each one and it was always high 140s- that's not very high, is it? How high should it be when running speed?
                It really varies between individuals as Erika mentioned. First step would be to run some hill repeats to try and measure your actual max HR (as opposed to the formulas which are rough estimates). From that number, I generally use 70-75% of your working HR as a ceiling for easy days and 85% of working HR as a floor for hard workouts. The formula I use is called the Karvonen formula. 70% ceiling = Resting + .70 * (Max - Resting) = 55 + .7(183-55) = 146 85% floor = Resting + .85 * (Max - Resting) = 55+.85*(183-55) = 165 On my MP efforts, I seem to be right in the low 160's or 80-85% MHR. I'm not entirely sure I can sustain it though.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Ran 6 miles on the treadmill- ..... I need to get a heart rate monitor- I checked my HR in between each one and it was always high 140s- that's not very high, is it? How high should it be when running speed? .......
                  Hope this isn't TMI and what you are asking for. I use percentage of Heart Rate Reserve to grade effort. Heart Rate Reserve (HRR) = (Max HR - Resting HR) x % + Resting HR I estimate that my Max HR is the High Reading from a 5K race + 5 pbm. For example, lets use 190 bpm as Max HR and 50 bpm as Resting HR. The Heart Rate Reserve would be: 190 - 50 = 140 bpm. Lactate threshold or anaerobic threshold generally occurs at 80% - 88% of HRR. In the example it would be (190 - 50) x 80% + 50 = 162 bpm. (190-50) x 88% + 50 = 173 bpm Lactate threshold runs would occur between 162 bpm and 173 bpm. Training in this zone helps to increase the lactate threshold, which improves performance. Your muscles are tired, your breathing is heavy. VO2 Max Occurs between 90% to 100% of HRR or in this example, 176 bpm and 190 bpm. At these values you are in oxygen debt and should increase fast twitch muscles.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Happy Camper

It really varies between individuals as Erika mentioned. First step would be to run some hill repeats to try and measure your actual max HR (as opposed to the formulas which are rough estimates). From that number, I generally use 70-75% of your working HR as a ceiling for easy days and 85% of working HR as a floor for hard workouts. The formula I use is called the Karvonen formula. 70% ceiling = Resting + .70 * (Max - Resting) = 55 + .7(183-55) = 146 85% floor = Resting + .85 * (Max - Resting) = 55+.85*(183-55) = 165 On my MP efforts, I seem to be right in the low 160's or 80-85% MHR. I'm not entirely sure I can sustain it though.
                    You type fast too! Clowning around

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

My target heart rate on long runs is 137-143. Thats about 6.3 mph on the treadmill.
                      Cash and I train at the same rate and get the same HR on the TM. TM twins.
                      theyapper

On the road again...

Got in 3.6 today split in 2 runs. Both were easy and felt nice. As far as the HR conversation goes, my goal is to finish all easy runs with AHR in the 140s.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

Thanks guys. I realized I asked this question and I know the formulas... I'm a personal trainer and I refer to the Karvonen method all the time. So, why did I ask? I dunno... I think I'm either too lazy to determine my MAX or I just want feedback without getting too technical. I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to go down the heart rate training method or just guesstimate based on perceived effort. Most of my clients are not already fit, so their resting heart rates are going to be higher and they are going to shoot higher when doing cardio. I try to just use the talk test with them. They don't seem to care about the details of heart rate- they just want to lose weight. So, maybe it is time for a HR monitor for myself and to attempt to get a max reading for myself.
                            Kimmie - looks like you got some good answers on the HR thing Dave - pictures? I'm not entirely happy with them because the day was kind of gray when we took them, but for what it's worth... http://www.pbase.com/lking/whitefish09

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

I LOVE YOU ALLL!!!!! Just in case i don't say it enough!

Bugs

Shan, Just don't try and kiss me. I've got strep throat.

Bugs