Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-2 (Read 324 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Man, have I been busy. Speaking is my main gig and this week has been full of it, which is cool. I have still gotten my runs in, but haven't been able to get on the boards much, and I miss ya'll. Wink From what I can see, looks like most everyone is feeling okay, maybe a cough here or there, but overall it sounds good. This week has been good, but my run yesterday had my HR all over the map - I wasn't running any faster than normal, but it was in the 70s. I finally gave up trying to control the HR and just ran at an easy pace. Got in just under 5 and today will be my long run. I'm looking to run/walk 12 miles at an 8/1 ratio. Enjoy the day, everybody! MTA: The temps were in the 70s, not my HR. I can only dream of easy runs with an AHR in the 70s.....

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

was wondering what happened to you! Glad to see you are still getting out there!!!!
        After 5 days of skiing, we're still in one piece. Yesterday, one of the young guys on the trip with us broke both tibia and fibula on landing on unexpectedly hard surface after a jump. Ouch. He needs surgery but didn't want to get it here so they casted him up without setting and he's flying home with us today. Ouch, ouch. We'll pack up this morning, as our flight isn't until 1pm -- last night we had a fun potluck dinner with the rest of the club (there were 24 of us here), and we did our best to make sure the beer was all gone. All we had left over was a few triscuits and fig newtons, so we brought in some pizza from the local bar. It'll be good to get home and back to running, not so good to get back to work on Monday. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

I finally gave up trying to control the HR and just ran at an easy pace.
          Good decision, Yapper. Some days, your HR will just be elevated a bit. Way to push through. Glad to hear you made it back safely, Lou. Makes me wonder about sports where the goal is safe return. Last year we were that family on the flight back in the brace (DW). Sucked. My running went completely to crap this week. Only one run but I'll run today and tomorrow in nice weather. I guess I'm not surprised given that work was dragging this week and I was still pretty wiped out from the hard long run on Sunday. Enough excuses. More running Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

ok just got back from one of my worst runs in awhile. I woke up with some serious pain in my upper back/ shoulder blade area. It never got better. I thought maybe I could run easy and it would loosen up. Nope. Longest 12 miles ever.
            Cashmason

Man, have I been busy. Speaking is my main gig and this week has been full of it, which is cool. I have still gotten my runs in, but haven't been able to get on the boards much, and I miss ya'll. Wink From what I can see, looks like most everyone is feeling okay, maybe a cough here or there, but overall it sounds good. This week has been good, but my run yesterday had my HR all over the map - I wasn't running any faster than normal, but it was in the 70s. I finally gave up trying to control the HR and just ran at an easy pace. Got in just under 5 and today will be my long run. I'm looking to run/walk 12 miles at an 8/1 ratio. Enjoy the day, everybody! MTA: The temps were in the 70s, not my HR. I can only dream of easy runs with an AHR in the 70s.....
              Good job Yap. When it gets warmer, the heart rate really rises. A couple of years ago I did the Maffetone, low heart rate thing, and it really helped my running a lot. But it was tough, you had to run so slow, even for me, for months. It really paid off. All the local running friends here called me a sand bagger, because they asked me before the race, what kind of time I expected to run. I had no clue since I trained at low heart rates, but raced at normal/ fast heart rates. So I gave them a guestimate, that I thought was reasonable, and then blew away those times. Set a bunch of PR's, and seldom got injured, which was the goal. Just it took forever to complete a training run, since I was running so much more slowly. What kind of speaking presentations do you do?
              Cashmason

ok just got back from one of my worst runs in awhile. I woke up with some serious pain in my upper back/ shoulder blade area. It never got better. I thought maybe I could run easy and it would loosen up. Nope. Longest 12 miles ever.
                Sorry to hear that Kimmie. I find that the foam roller can help even up there if its muscle related. Running 12 miles in pain is not fun. You are some trooper to run 12 miles in pain.
                theyapper

On the road again...

Kimmie's stronger than I am. I bailed on my 12 miler 7.3 miles in. HR was nuts, knee was bothering me, and I just decided to live to run another day. Cash - I've dabbled some in the LHR training, and felt that I was making some real progress, but these last 2 runs have me baffled. I'm not running much faster times, but my HR is way above where it normally is. The warmer weather is the only thing I can attribute it to. As far as speaking, I do mainly motivational stuff - typical audiences are schools, colleges, and churches. I also get to speak to civic groups every now and then.

Paul

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

17 miles - first long run of the training cycle. It was tough and I'm a bit sore.
                    Cashmason

10 miles today. Blister on ball of foot at mile 3 . Perfect running weather. When I left the house hoped for at least 8 so that was good. Now I understand how you got the handle Yapper. Actually public speaking sounds like fun, if you have something you believe in, and have practiced it a couple of times.
                      Kimmie

Good luck tomorrow Shan!

Bugs

Have fun tomorrow Shan. ty66, I am following the same motto. I forced myself not to run today. I'm tired of being sick and while I'm down to just a sinus thing I'm folding till I'm sure my strength is back. Kim, Sorry about the shoulders. Do you think your pecks are tight? It is often the cause of shoulder pain, they curve to compensate for tight pecks, a problem I've had.

Bugs

Cashmason

Good Luck Shan !
                              good luck, shan!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Hope your race is going well right now, Shan!

Paul