Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-2 (Read 324 times)

Hey, I got kicked out of the swamp. Was it anything I did or said? I don't think so... I rejoined, no big deal, but that was weird.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

It was a warm day for a marathon for Shan this morning. Hope you had a great time out there girl!!Big grin Just under 15 for me today with only the last 3 at MP. Very warm after all the snow last week. Strange east coast weather. No complaints. Taper starts mid-week this week. Today's run was probably the longest run I've done this close to a marathon but my mileage has been so inconsistent, I'm not sure I need much of a taper. I'm really feeling strong now. Getting excited for the race.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Shan's running a marathon this morning? I gotta check in more. Hope it's going well! My running, gone. Our 3-year-old fell off a toy on Monday (a 6 inch tall toy, go figure) and broke his femur in 2 spots. So, 2 titanium rods and 4 nights in the hospital later, we're hanging out in the living room trying to keep him sane. Poor dude's gotta be out of his mind bored. He's in a brace that keeps him straight at the waist and about 75 degrees at the knee for 3 weeks, then they'll loosen up those joints but keep him in the brace for 3 more. Should be walking again around 6-8 weeks. Pretty much like having 2 newborns at home now. But, I'm going to try and get out for a run this afternoon. It's been a week. DW said I could, lets hope she doesn't change her mind. Here's the brace:
          Geez, poor kid! I guess the bone grows around the rod as he gets bigger? 17.1 miles, 2:30:52, 8:48/mi, AHR 156 (78% mhr) 5@9:15(147),7@8:50(156),5.13@8:19(166)

They'll take the rods out in a 4 or 5 months. In an adult, they just leave them in there according to our surgeon. 6 miles today, weather couldn't have been better.
            Cashmason

Husker, sorry to hear about your son. At least it is something that heals. Glad you could sneak in a run.

Dave

So sorry to hear about your son, Brian. Hope he heals up well and you guys keep your sanity through the whole process.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Brian. Sad. Poor little guy! Hang in there! Can't wait to hear how Shan did. Sorry you're still sick Bugs. Dave-you gotta be getting excited. Decided to give my back a break even though I really wanted to run.
                    Ok, starting to get worried about Shan

evanflein

Oh, Brian... that really sucks. Poor kid. And yes, they get so restless and bored with just "sitting there." Good luck with that. My heart goes out to you. Our youngest fell off the bed (he and his brother and cousin were jumping on the bed, being the smallest he got bounced off) when he was almost 2. It was so sad... broke his arm right at the growth plate on his humerus. Still has a scar from the two surgeries it took to fix it! Check in, Shan... Dave, the way I've rearranged my schedule I'll be doing my last 20+ miler two weeks before Boston. Should be ok because that last week I hardly run at all because of all the travel. You'll be fine. Kimmie, hope your back is ok. 12 miles with back/shoulder pain is rough. Ok, long sordid tale of my long runs follows: I've been bothered by my inability to get through long runs ever since Disney. Anything over 15 miles seems to lead to a crash of some sort. I've only had to really sacrifice one, stopping last week's treadmill 20 at 15 because I just. couldn't. do. 5. more. miles... So, given travel schedule coming up and DH leaving for Pittsburgh early this morning, I thought I'd try that 20 again. It's been a chilly March already for us and when I was coming back from the airport at 5:30 a.m. it was -15 at the bottom of the hill, and dropped from there. Phooey I thought, and went back to bed. Up at 8 and the temps had dropped to almost -18. Great. But as I got ready to go over the next hour it went up to -16, so that's a good trend. Off I went down the road. I didn't worry about pace because my goal was to get the distance done. The roads were icy in spots, but ok. Traffic was sporadic with a lot of cars not giving me an inch to spare. Angry I got to my parents' house at 7 miles and had a drink. Dad offered to pick me up if I felt the need, and I told him I probably would on the way back. The snow, ice, wind and traffic took a toll, I'd had enough at 12 miles. Stopped and asked Dad to take me home, but I'd keep going down the road till he picked me up. I got to 13 miles and there he was. Once at home, I ran another mile back and forth on my road (had to get the paper, anyway), then came in at 14 miles and got on the treadmill after telling grumpy DS1 he had to take DS2 to soccer cuz I wouldn't be ready. So, I got on the 'mill and cranked out another 7 miles to finish with 21 miles, 8:42 average pace for the whole thing. Very, very glad that's over. Didn't feel like it killed me, but it was an effort to finish. Chocolate milk, banana, some almonds and a shower later, I'm ready to tackle what's left of my day. (sorry that was so long... I'm pretty chatty today I guess) Smile

Dave

There's a RR out in the main forum from a girl who met her and ran the last 6 miles with her. I'm pretty sure she did fine. Just waiting her report. Wink

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

What was Shan running today? The updated schedule doesn't have anything for today...
                            What was Shan running today? The updated schedule doesn't have anything for today...
                            http://www.cbrcmd.org/lpr_marathon.htm (I think) Nice run, by the way Smile

evanflein

Thanks, Lou. And yes, apparently that was the one... gonna steal her thunder a bit. Her fault for not checking in! 28 Shannon Hassell West Chester PA 195 25 6 F 20-29 4:44:12
                              Cashmason

That is a huge PR for Shan !