Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/11/2010 (Read 261 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I bought the whole batch of pics from Richmond. Not sure I'll do that again, but I won't ever run my first again, either.  Took some image editing to get the time on the clock to show my chip time, but here's 2 that I love (I'm posting them here so I can win the "self-absorbed" title and ya'll can feel better about having your displays and scrapbooks!!)...

Those are huge...guess we'll see if Eric's new auto-resizer feature works.

MTA: It does.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Paul, you also win the "Looks Great in Race Photos" award. Those are terrific photos! And yes, you only get one first.

And Paul's last picture is an excellent opportunity for me to ask a question that always bugs me... Why the two mats at the finish? (and sometimes at the start) Is one a "back up" in case the first didn't register your chip/tag? Is the first one the official timing mat? This has always bothered me and nobody has ever explained it. In some races (such as the Bellingham marathon I ran, and I think Carlsbad, too), there'll be a mat quite a ways from the first (maybe 30-50 ft or so?), and a lot of runners stop after crossing that mat and people yell "No, No! Keep going! The finish is up there!!"

What's up with that?

When we finish the workout room in the basement I think I'm gonna do the same thing like you bugs. GREAT idea thanks!

Sorry to hear it's heating back up Vix Sad Very cool that you and Kimmie are going to meet up soon and run together!

Glad to hear things are going well for ya Jeremy!

Looks like some good running is going on for Team Blister! Glad to hear your foot is feeling bugs!

How did your run go Erika?????? 

I'm actually feeling really optimistic about my training. Did 7 miles today foot felt fine. My stride has changed and I'm pretty sure the burning I'm feeling under my arch in the mornings and after my runs is due to my PF. I've heard that can happen when changing stride (not doing it on purpose just seems my feet are ready to go back to how I used to run). I accidentally through out my orthotics that I had (i've only thrown out 2 pairs of shoes since I started running and go figure one pair had the ortho's in them lol) so I went and got me another pair. Since I've had weird feet my whole life (wore corrective shoes as a baby/child and had custom orthotics in my teens and 20's) I figure I'm better off wearing them.  Anyway *knock on wood* things seem to be going well for me.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

GREAT PICS PAUL!!!

As for the matts I have no clue Erika

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hawt and sexy

Who cares about the two mats, let;s focus on the important stuff here.

Paul, are you single? 

I'm touching your pants.

evanflein

Pam, I'm happy to report that... the run went great! Well, besides the fact that the pace just about killed me, but I resisted the urge to go faster. I've got to focus on easy and slow for awhile to get some base back. 3 miles on the treadmill, some walking, then legs/abs stuff I didn't get to yesterday. All the time I was running I was paying close attention to that post tibial tendon/arch and ankle area, almost waiting for the ache to start. Nothing at all. It was great!

Amanda, down girl.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Glad to hear things are looking positive for you - both Pam and Erika.

Paul, nice photos, you don't look all beat up like some people look at the end Smile

re: mats

I've wondered that too. I only have two hypotheses - that one  is a backup, or that the earlier one is for them to get your name (digitally) to holler it out over the loudspeaker as you approach the finish (& second mat).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think it is neat to put up photos/medals/bibs/whatever, to help recall races.We just haven't ever gotten to it.

Kim- I  also don't really know what my cycle of when I feel tired and when I feel strong is -- plus, what I feel in the first mile might be different than how I feel several miles later.  So I shrug and don't worry my two little brain cells over it, cause I have so few to spare.

Bugs

Paul,

You are very handsome.

Erika,

Glad you got a run in.

Willa,

I see your post and think of running skirts. We need to go shopping for me.

Perry,

I'll trade my zero brain cells for your two.

Swam today, but focused on easy, relaxed feet.  Then my first timed swim of 50 yards, in 48 seconds. I think I can beat it. Oh but it was a dumb of me because I didn't need to take a breath, but breathed on every right stoke anyway. Oh nevermind..

I venture outside tomorrow, nothing fast. Not expecting great footing, just too much snow this year. It is melting, but that just means there is ice and chunks of crap in the street. A mess.

Bugs

Cashmason

Bugs, that was a great job on the swim.

Easy is good.  Breathing every stroke even though you dont need to yet,  is great.  Many people  ( cough mybestfriendMike cough)  dont take a breath for 50 yards because they dont need too.    And after 150 yards they are exhasted.   They have built up so much carbon dioxide in their blood, that they cant get it out on an exhale after 100 yards. 

Btw,  the breathless feeling swimming is not really being out of oxygen,  its the build up of carbon dioxide, that gives you that out of breath feeling.

Your way of doing every right side is very good.  For long distance swims, it is nice if you are comfortable breathing on both sides,  so if splashing or waves come from one side, you can breath on the other.

But if you watch the olympics,  races of 50 yards, they dont breath at all since turning your head slows you down.  Otherwise they breathe just like you do, every other stroke, always on the same side,  since that gets you the most oxygen.

And 48 seconds is pretty darn fast for 50 yards

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was gonna say the same thing -- good for you for breathing. I'd think it is more useful for you to get good and comfortable with breathing. And congrats for getting the swimming in -- you're already swimming more than  I am Smile

And congrats on the  successful goggle switcheroo with the kids Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just watched this

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/freestyle-breathing-with-michael-phelps-katie-hoff-and-bob-bowman/2829338606

and he mentioned that swimmers are much more streamlined when rotated, so he prefers to see them breathe every stroke. I'd never heard that.

I am clumsy breathing off-side; don't know why, but the bow wave doesn't work for me and I have to overrotate. I expect practice would help me.

Last Olympics I was watching, and I saw some swimmers breathing bilaterally, and some breathing patterns such as right,right,left,right,right,left -- which I found interesting. And a few were breathing on the same side the whole lap.

But it's not like I need to worry about what they're doing; if I got into the pool at all and did anything, it would be a huge improvement over no swimming Smile

Last I remember (I haven't swum in a while), I can breath on either side, and tend to breathe every third stroke -- I think because I heard that was the right thing to do.  So at least I have the breathing technique, but never mastered slowing down so I can go longer distances.  Probably the rest of my stroke isn't very efficient, either.  Some day I'll get back to swimming.

I rested yesterday and today, and will most likely run long tomorrow.  My thigh/adductors feel fine now, but I wanted to give it an extra day.

Great pictures, Paul!

Oh, I think from looking at Paul's last picture, the labeled finish line is on the first mat.  So the second must be a backup.  Maybe errors on the first mat can be corrected with information on the second?  Seems they should be pretty close together though if that's the case.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

The last time I swam, I remember that I could also breathe comfortably on the right or left, but down was always a struggle.  

Paul, nice photos, you don't look all beat up like some people look at the end Smile

That's because I either didn't try hard or because the glasses hid the "I'm done" look in my eyes. Okay, it's the second one.

As far as the nice comments about how I, ummm, well, look... I can only say that I am a little  and also glad the cameras didn't catch me on miles 21-24.  There would have been a whole different set of comments about those!

Rested yesterday, am going to try to get 5 today.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Attractive looking pics are certainly fine.  I think maybe we need to cue up the "looks like death" marathon pics competition.  I'm sure I have mine in here somewhere ....

One of my least pleasurable flights ever last night coming home (3 weak treadmill miles yesterday by the way).  

Middle seat.  Got on nearly last so I had to check my bag instead of putting it in the overhead.  Nasty flight attendant scolded everyone for not shutting off cell phones quick enough for him.  "Hello, people, turn off your phones.  This is DC!!!"  (not sure what that meant).  About 15 minutes waiting at the gate in Detroit until they got a ramp over to open the door while watching the baggage handlers THROW the luggage around.  

Waiting for bags.  No bags.  30 minutes go by.  Other passengers go over and find out.  "One of the baggage handlers dropped a bag on their foot and was injured".  30 more minutes go by.  "Relax people, someone was really hurt".  I'm thinking they better have been sucked into a jet engine with the bag delay.  30 minutes later someone comes out from the airline.  Makes a call on the walkie talkie and the bags roll out.  90 minutes late.  Get home at 10:30 instead of 8:30.

Rant over. 

Paul, you also win the "Looks Great in Race Photos" award. Those are terrific photos! And yes, you only get one first.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com