Marathon Trainers

Week of 2-16 (Read 333 times)

Kimmie

Hey! Just wanted to say hey and thanks for all of the support here... I knew when I finished that I couldn't wait to post something... I actually have a blog that I don't write on very often, because I still can't fathom that anyone would want to read it. But, tomorrow, I may write a more detailed report about the race. It's good to be home. Good running you all!!! I'm just a little sore today.... 8 hours in the car was fun... would have been worse if it was yesterday. Dave, to answer your question, yes, I will be running Boston 2010. and bugs, you know, that I didn't intend to have NO long runs in the month of January. Yes, I think, like Erika said, that I was in decent condition... probably from Marine Corps, but I wouldn't recommend going into a marathon on 30 miles per week or less. The weather and the flatness were two contributing factors to me getting the time I wanted.... and there I go again, talking about me and my race. Smile Hope you all had a nice three day weekend. Time to set a goal for the National Half.

Oh Mighty Wing

Shan, wtf? What happend to the girl I knew who thought 3 miles was a long run? What a Woman ! On the other hand I can relate to those Tee shirts that say " Running is my Prozac". When I am upset, running works as therapy for me.
      haha that girl retreated at mile 20 of the monkey and left a cage rattling animal in it's place. Big grin Oddly enough that's the one time running doesn't work for me - a short run yes, but I can't seem to do anymore than about 5 if i'm upset - which is part of why my mileage took a hit. But my mind is much clearer now... and now it's time to focus as I just made plans for more racing.

Hail to The Victors!

16 today. Figured it would be a good day for a long run since this weekend was too hectic and I have off for pres. day. It was very very nice. Although I definitely got punished for my last week of eating poorly and not drinking enough water and probably the lack of sleep... really the last week I felt like I was on a bender - eating crappy food, sleeping 4 hours a night, drinking more wine than water... I paid for it today, but it was a good pain and I think it helped jog me back into the right mindset!!
        Very nice! Way to go! That's a great way to get back on track! 7.5 today. I have a class 'til Thursday, so the lunch workouts are a no-no, and I'm joining the morning sun worshippers, at least until the snow falls late tomorrow, then it's probably evening and indoors. Love the class, but not the timing. Last week was kind of a downer with a busy day at work on Friday, and then more snow on Saturday, and family plans on Sunday. Blah. Time to right the ship and get back at it though!

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie glad the drive treated you ok. I wouldn't be surprised if that is where most of the soreness comes from. JHall - good luck with the morning runs!!
          Cashmason

Good job on your 5 Yapper. 40 minutes of weights, followed by teaching spin, then 4 miles on the treadmill, then swam a mile. Body is tired now, but pleasant tired.
              JH - way to get the runs in. There's nothing like running in the morning -- but you know I feel that way Smile You, too, Mr I - way to get the run in - too bad about your ipod. ty66 - nice when runs turn out like that, huh? Kimmie - you're going to kick butt in the Nat Half. Shan - yes, time to refocus. Now get some miles in Wink Cash - you worked out early! 6.0, 55:20, 9:09/mi, AHR 133 (67% mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

3 this morning.

Happy Camper

Shan: Nice running this week! 8& change this morning in 1:17:19. 9:29mm avg pace, 146bpm avg HR. About 70% of HRR. {sigh} My Mii is 53 years old and fat. Apparently I need to work on flexability and weight according to the good folks at Nintendo.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - it's coincidental. I had off yesterday and moved over the weekend so that was the best day for a long run. I'm sorry your Mii is old and fat - I'm sure the real you is youthful and runnerly!!!
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Ipod has been replaced. This is our 4th one - for this it seems the extended warrentee is worth it. I think my fitness has improved a bit because I seem to be recovering better from Saturdays race than I have in the past. Races really take a lot out of me. However yesterdays 8 miler was pretty decent and I got in a cruise interval session this morning which worked out quite well. I'm going to start throwing in 35-45 min runs on some of m days off and start transitioning to 5-6 days per week.

Dave

Nice runs everyone. Nice to hear your just "a little" sore, Kim. Tough night last night with a 2AM visit to the emergency room with my youngest with croup. Was having trouble breathing and I didn't want to take any chances. By the time we got there, the cool air had helped to clear her lungs and we ended up going home without seeing a physician (she was breathing easy at that point). She seems fine today. 7 miles on the treadmill today with 5 at tempo (7:42 down to 7:19 pace). Might not get a longer run in tomorrow and wanted to get in my speedwork for the week.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Nice runs everyone. Tough night last night with a 2AM visit to the emergency room with my youngest with croup. Was having trouble breathing and I didn't want to take any chances. By the time we got there, the cool air had helped to clear her lungs and we ended up going home without seeing a physician (she was breathing easy at that point). She seems fine today. 7 miles on the treadmill today with 5 at tempo (7:42 down to 7:19 pace). Might not get a longer run in tomorrow and wanted to get in my speedwork for the week.
                          Glad to hear your dd is doing better, sounds like she's a trooper! NICE run this morning Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Great runs everyone!! I agree Mr. I about the extended warranty on the ipods. I've replaced mine at least 3 times. I got in a nice 4.1 mile run this morning and will be going out sometime before the kids get home for my second run. I missed not having my dh to run with but such is life. Guess I was lucky to have the few weeks to run with him. I really hope this change does NOT mess with his motivation to keep running.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I - i don't think Ipod likes you very much! Dave - oh no! I'm glad Little Bit is ok!!! Rocken - i hope it doesn't either. Motivation is a funny thing. So I have a question... If I wanted to learn how to bike where do I start?? I have been on a bike once in 15 years. When I was young (I think it was 93) I took a spill down a hill - I flipped over the bike, the bike flipped over me. I chipped my heel and took a gash out of my knee. I was in a cast for couple weeks. Anyway, a couple years later (i was 16) I got on a bike and hte guy I was wish kept trying to ride really close and grab my handle bars even though I told him I was scared. So needless to say that only made it worse. Somewhere over the last couple weeks i've been thinking about biking and how it might be fun, but I don't really know where to start to explore that. Any ideas?
                              evanflein

Shan, first of all, be sure you aren't in the company of some jerk who thinks that sort of nonsense is fun. Geez, what a loser! Start out on easy bike trails or paths with not a lot of traffic or sharp turns/hills. Get your confidence back a bit, then venture out on some roads with traffic (ride on the right with traffic). I think you'll be amazed at how quickly you get a feel for it. So what are you guys doing to your iPods? We have 6 in the house, the oldest being my old 3G with the dock (it looks huge and clunky next to the newer ones), then DH has an old silver "mini" which is what later developed into the Nano. I got the boys each a 8GB Nano for Christmas back in 2006, and DS1 got a new iPod touch this past summer when he got his MacBook Pro (iPod was free after rebate!). Oh, and I got the 30GB Video iPod in Sept. 2007 from a conference door prize. All still work just fine and get lots of use. I always wonder what people do to theirs to make them die... No run for me last night. Or anything else after parent-teacher conferences, taking car to the shop, checking a couple of furniture stores for floor lamps (apparently a hard item to find?), stopping for gas and groceries then home to starving children to make dinner. Oh well, first rest day in 2 weeks so I guess that's ok. I sure hate that zero on my log though. My car will be done today (just maintenance stuff, thank God), and I hope to get a run in tonight. For a "buildup week," I'm off to a slow start.