Marathon Trainers

Week of 2-16 (Read 333 times)

Cashmason

Part 2 http://www.endurancecorner.com/real_world_marathoning_2
    Cashmason

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php Treadmill mph to pace per minute conversion chart.
        Ok, Cash -- last night you were really up late. I was running while you were surfing Smile I'll have to study your posts -- looks like good stuff but I didn't have time to read before my run this morning. I always go into tempo runs doubtful, but most of the time I get through it just fine. Today I kept lying telling myself how easy it is, that I could run like this all day. Ha! 7 mi tempo: pace(HR) 7:26(164 - 82% mhr) splits pace(HR): 7:29(155), 7:28(164), 7:28(162), 7:27(167),7:19(165),7:25(165),7:29(170). With 2 mile warmup and 3 mile cooldown, overall was 12.1 miles, 1:36:03, 7:56/mi, AHR 157 (78% mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Wow Lou, that is very impressive. I'm not good at maintaining a pace like that. I really need to do more tempo runs. Ok, now that my marathon is over and I've written about it in my blog.... I feel ready to move on to the next race. Any thoughts about my half marathon goal?? My PR is a 1:51 from last April. I feel like I can do better than that but not sure how much better. National a little hilly in the first half but not too bad.

Dave

That's a fantastic training run, Lou. I'll be curious how much of a recovery you need after that effort. Kimmie, I'd shoot for 1:45 (I need someone to pace me for the first half Big grin )

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Thanks, guys. Dave - the plan is recovery run of 3 miles tomorrow, then 12 "medlong" on Friday which (according to Pfitz) is the same as "long", meaning first 5 @ MP+20%, middle @ MP+15% and last 5 @MP+10%. (That's about 9:30, 9:05 and 8:40/mi which is 5 seconds faster than the percentages would show -- I normally run these a little faster than that, even, but we'll see what Friday brings Smile). Then I think 5 "recovery" on Saturday and 20 on Sunday. This is a peak week in the training cycle. I am sure I'll be fine.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Lou - those are some very solid runs. When you tempo longer than 20 minutes, do you adjust your pace a little? Daniels recommends it, but he's the only one I've seen do so. It's official - after my 5k this past week it was the best recovery I've ever had. I did an 8 miler on Monday and some cruise intervals yesterday and today I just ran easy for 9 songs for a recovery. I'm starting to add short easy runs where I used to take the day off. I'm really excited about training now.
                Kimmie

ok Dave, 1:45 it is... wow Lou and Mr. I- really good training going on.... Where's everybody else? Bugs used to be a regular contributor around here... She must be busy running. I haven't run since the marathon... I can't believe it. I usually am back the next day or day after.... today is sleeting... Smile we'll see what happens.
                    Lou - those are some very solid runs. When you tempo longer than 20 minutes, do you adjust your pace a little? Daniels recommends it, but he's the only one I've seen do so.
                    I don't tempo that much. Pfitzinger recommends tempo/lactate threshold at "15K to half marathon pace", and goes further to state that "slower runners" should use half marathon pace -- this last bit doesn't make a lot of sense to me by the way. My 15K is about 7:15 (best 10 miler) and my best half marathon is about 7:33. Anyway to answer your question, I might shoot for closer to 7:20 for shorter runs. I had in mind holding 7:30s today because it was a bit longer.

evanflein

Kimmie, I was thinking 1:45 for you, too. And it's ok to take a couple rest days after a marathon, especially one like you ran after being sick, but it's time to get back out there, girl! Bugs, for my training plan I've always used the Higdon plans (as I know you have, too), but I've used them so much for so many marathons that I've tweaked them so much it's hard to recognize them. The basic Intermediate II plan is a good structure for me, and it used to fit my life perfectly (shorter runs on Tuesday and Thursdays when the boys had soccer, MLR on Wednesday and Saturdays, LR on Sunday when I don't have so many other commitments). But now I'm fiddling with it a bit more... adding a shorter recovery run on the Monday XT day and/or the Friday "rest day" (which always used to be "date night" but not so much now). Still, I use the basic format of his plan and like it. Tonight I'll do 10 or so on the treadmill. It got cold again last night, will warm up today, but then we're getting a dump of snow tonight and tomorrow. Just not going to deal with it, that's why I have a treadmill. I'll throw in some half-mile to mile repeats though to stir things up... goal for those will be HM pace (7:45) so we'll see how we do...
                      Kimmie

thanks Erika, exactly what I needed. Ever have the post marathon blahs? Headed to the gym to do 3 miles plus some strength training.
                          Great run Lou! So glad to hear your training is taking off Mr. I! Dave & Kimmie, you guys make me want to run National, since 1:45 is (goal)what I'm shooting at for my half this year. I have an easier time reaching goal if I'm running with someone who's going after the same goal or chasing after someone I know. I can't seem to focus much during race's so it has to be a "familiar" face. I used Hal for my first Marathon Erika. Good luck on your run tonight! I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with the cold and all the new snow. It's gotta get old! Enjoy your run today Kimmie!! I would of given you a kick in the butt earlier but I needed that for myself lol. Got in 12 cold somewhat wet/snowy miles in today. Streets are slick so decided against running it at a moderate pace. Hopefully the field I go to run intervals won't be too messed up tomorrow.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

You should National with us Pam! 3 miles on the treadmill, then did pushups and abs. The 3 miles KIND of felt harder than usual... but that could have been because of my dislike for treadmills, but unlike Pam and Erika and Lou and others here... I wimped out on account of the cold rainy, icy thing going on outside.... Can't wait to see my marathon pics.... I bet they're lovely... not...
                            Kimmie

oh and I think it's sad that my very fast, running to the max half pace is going to be your full pace, Dave.Cry
                              Cashmason

Ok, Cash -- last night you were really up late. I was running while you were surfing Smile I'll have to study your posts -- looks like good stuff but I didn't have time to read before my run this morning. I always go into tempo runs doubtful, but most of the time I get through it just fine. Today I kept lying telling myself how easy it is, that I could run like this all day. Ha! 7 mi tempo: pace(HR) 7:26(164 - 82% mhr) splits pace(HR): 7:29(155), 7:28(164), 7:28(162), 7:27(167),7:19(165),7:25(165),7:29(170). With 2 mile warmup and 3 mile cooldown, overall was 12.1 miles, 1:36:03, 7:56/mi, AHR 157 (78% mhr)
                                Dude! You are Mr. Consistency on pace.