Marathon Trainers

Week of 2-16 (Read 333 times)

Chose to make today a rest day because my cough decided to make a reappearance... Sad Don't you guys ever rest???
    I rest.......for a month at a time
    Cashmason

Wow you all are getting in some good workouts. Taught spin this morning, teaching again in an hour. Legs feel Blah, they just dont feel like running ( or spinning). A week from today I will be getting massive mileage in. But it will involve chair lifts and sliding down a really big hill on sticks. So I won't have to move my legs much other than shift my weight from the inside of my feet to the outside of my feet, rinse repeat. Finding snow chains for the car is a bear, when the average February temperature is 60 degrees for 250 miles in any direction.

Oh Mighty Wing

WOOHOO TY!!!!! That is awesome!
        evanflein

ok I might take back mentioning it... you make me nervous. Blush I've been working on these for a couple weeks now, just ironing out the details, but was afraid to mention it because I want to be defiant and not listen to the much respected advice "mom" gives me. And nice runs!!!
          Thanks, and I don't mean to make you nervous...<mom> I just don't want to see you get hurt! You really are a new runner and your exuberance is overflowing... Just be careful, please. Smile 5 mile easy run on the treadmill at lunch watching Rachel Ray do something fun with pasta and lamb chops. We're in the midst of a snowstorm, but it seems to have stopped for the time being. I bet we won't get as much snow as forecast, but it's so warm out we could get freezing rain, which would be very very bad. Bugs, ease into those hill workouts please. Like speed work, hills are easy to get injured on. Hope Dave and Kimmie get better soon. And yes, Kimmie, I take a rest day when life conspires against my running. Seems to happen about every couple of weeks or so, but usually on Mondays and I'm ok with that.</mom>

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - I promise these are just for finishing!! I won't do anything stupid - I'll save stupid for September! Wink And I love Mom-mode. I just feel bad when I know i'm not going to listen - you can thank my mom for that good guilt. She never had to punish me because I would punish myself - ok that only happened once and it was for getting a C on my report card - I grounded myself. She did ground me once - it lasted a day. I was SUCH a goody-goody!

Bugs

Erika, I told Shan she doesn't need to worry about the lecture because she knows dam well it's crazy and risky. Mom, you're too late, I overdid the hills. There was an email mis-understanding. I was told at first it would be a 1:15-1:30 workout, then I got a second email that said easy it into it, about a 15min warm-up and 20 minutes of hills, GRADUALLY work up to an hour. Geez I did warm-up + 35min hills and ended feeling less then for NOT being able to do a 1:15 workout. Sad Not sure I'll be able to walk tomorrow. Hills are not again for two weeks at least. Murphy, You are funny.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Nice running everyone! Great work in a tough winter! Today was RAW. Luckily, since class got out early, I left the car with my wife and took the LONG way home on my feet. 12.5 to take a normally 4.5mi trip home. The wind was out of the west, and a good chunk of it was going east, it was very, very nice. Saturday is a Winter Storm Watch. 5-8 inches. Lovely. I was hoping to get it in early, but we have server maintenance this weekend, so I guess it will have to be Sunday after all of the snow has fallen. Sigh. Shan, that's some die hard stuff! Good luck!
                evanflein

Mom, you're too late, I overdid the hills. ... Sad Not sure I'll be able to walk tomorrow. Hills are not again for two weeks at least.
                  And I thought being Mom to two teenage boys was a full load. Roll eyes You guys all crack me up. Very good reminder of the infallibility of the human spirit... and the mule-headed stubbornness of the average marathon runner!!
                  Cashmason

If you aren't mule headed, you would never do the stuff a person needs to do to finish a marathon. Shan is great practice for what you are going to need to do with your kids in a few years Ms. Alaska. Teach them the right thing to do, give them good advice, and then when they are old enough to make their own decisions, stand back and let them make their own decisions. Trust that your teachings are talking to them down deep, and give them all the love and support you can. They will still do stupid sh*t. And they will survive and learn their own lessons. And Mom and Dad too will be proud of them. 6 and half miles on the treadmill after teaching the second spin class of the day. Legs were too dead to do anything more than an easy run.
                    evanflein

Teach them the right thing to do, give them good advice, and then when they are old enough to make their own decisions, stand back and let them make their own decisions. Trust that your teachings are talking to them down deep, and give them all the love and support you can..
                      You know, I try that with Shan and Bugs and they still go do stoopid stuff. What's a mom to do?? When will they be old enough? Sheez....
                      Cashmason

People are always gonna do stoopid stuff. When they can pay their own bills, just give them love and support. Unless of course they are male, in which case they will never be able to learn anyway. From the book by Lance Armstrong's team mananger: Winning = meeting YOUR goals, not winning the overall race. it is not the sprinkling of moments of domination that define a champion, but rather the many more plentiful small acts of courage that we make each day that minimize our losses and keep us on the path. The decision to down a recovery shake and take a nap after a disappointing ride rather than writing it off and heading for the nearest Mickey D’s are the kind of decisions on which champions are based. 5. Trust people not technology “For me the real million dollar pay-off was the reminder that at the heart of winning lies heart. Technology can help you win. So can a team bus. A solid recruiting program. An inspiring mission statement. But none of these things actually do the winning. A million dollars can’t ride a bicycle. Neither can a million bits of data. It’s people who perform – out on the roads and all across the world, whether their ambition is to win the Tour De France or open a restaurant. And it’s the people who have the heart to ignore the distractions - of money and technology and managers and everything else that clamours to be a part of our lives – who wins the most.” This is one of my favorite passages from the book. A reminder that winning is a verb. It is not a noun that can be bought or recruited. Nor is it some secret short cut. It is bred from the daily actions of winners, folks who have defined their personal victory and spent their days all-encompassed in the necessary actions associated with it, sometimes at the expense of the desires of those they bump into along the way but never to the detriment of their personal destiny.
                          Argh! I forgot to prepare the coffee last night so it wasn't ready when I woke up. Now I'm waiting for it to brew. Really, really windoy and cold this morning (forecast says 20mph w/ gusts to 38 and it's 21°F now) -- ok, cold enough for me, but I realize it could be colder. This morning's medium long run could be a bit unpleasant.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

You know, I try that with Shan and Bugs and they still go do stoopid stuff. What's a mom to do?? When will they be old enough? Sheez....
                            but i go and do it with your thoughts in my head - so that's gotta count for something right??? Lou - yikes - that's not sounding that appealing...
                              As it turns out, the wind wasn't nearly as bad as predicted. Which means I was bundled up just a tad too much -- Erika would laugh at my layers, so I'll only admit that the balaclava was a bit much and came off pretty quickly. 12.1 miles, 1:46:24, 8:48/mi, AHR 144 (72% mhr) -- progression with the 1st five at about 9:20's and the last five at about 8:20's

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

the mule-headed stubbornness of the average marathon runner!!
                                That is seriously funny. I believe we have a new motto.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com