Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/22/2010 (Read 150 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Last week was a good week for a lot of us.  I'm just thrilled that Perry ran more mileage in one race (51+) than I did in one week (50).

Kicked off my very first taper with 5 miles this morning.  I've never tapered, so what should I expect?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've seen people report that they feel tired or sore or weird aches & pains sometimes during taper. Actually last week during my taper I felt a couple aches. Might have been subconscious (or conscious) pre-ordeal nervousness.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Amazing run for you, Perry. Had you planned on that for awhile? I don't remember hearing you talking of really long distance training... other than 18 miles on a stupid track.

Welcome to taper, Paul! I used to hate it, but now I really look forward to it. Maybe because I typically do a 2 week taper now. What to expect? You'll question the quality and validity of your training. You'll feel very unprepared to run a marathon. You'll start finding new aches and pains every day, and as taper progresses (and mileage decreases) you'll get cranky and irritable. Just when you think you've thrown away all your hard work and training on a stupid layoff period, you'll run a marathon that'll knock your socks off. Be ready for it. Smile

As for me, I ran a very difficult 20 miler yesterday in pretty lousy running conditions. If I had to run all my runs like this, I'd take up swimming. But I'm glad I did it yesterday, because as slippery and snowy as it was yesterday, today it's even worse with freezing rain, treacherous roads and travel advisories all day. So, I'll take that 20 miler, capping off a 55.2 mile week and say hello taper! I'm stuck at home today though, so I'll probably go downstairs for a short treadmill run just so I don't spend the whole day on my butt.

Paul, what's the web site for your race? We'd like to keep tabs on you when the big day arrives!

theyapper

On the road again...

Welcome to taper, Paul! I used to hate it, but now I really look forward to it. Maybe because I typically do a 2 week taper now. What to expect? You'll question the quality and validity of your training. You'll feel very unprepared to run a marathon. You'll start finding new aches and pains every day, and as taper progresses (and mileage decreases) you'll get cranky and irritable. Just when you think you've thrown away all your hard work and training on a stupid layoff period, you'll run a marathon that'll knock your socks off. Be ready for it. Smile

- - -

Paul, what's the web site for your race? We'd like to keep tabs on you when the big day arrives!

My family was thrilled to hear that I might be cranky and irritable.  I've already apologized in advance.

Website for the marathon is http://www.runcharlotte.com/welcome.htm.  I can't find anything about spiffy runner tracking.  Probably a good thing, since you guys have much better things to do with 6 hours on a Saturday than track me.  I'll track myself by wearing a sundial on my wrist.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Erika: I signed up for it early summer, I think. I didn't do the traditional long, long runs, so I felt I was undertrained, but I did do some back-to-back long runs, so I figured (hoped) I could slog through it. Which I did. Miles 30-40 were tough -- pain, soreness, and fatigue. But hitting the 40mi aid station in daylight really made me happy, and I had fun running in -- except I'd prefer to end in daylight.

Bugs

Paul,

Be ready for some new aches and pains.

Erika,

Are you training for a marathon? Must be one you are traveling to. We got the freezing rain today too, sucks for running, really sucks for driving.

Perry,

Yes Perry, I ran in freezing ran for 3 hours and then was in and out of the house in 5 minutes. You see I walked in the house, and my DH was annoyed I was so late getting home, I was determined to prove I was right that we would make this movie in time. He was grump the entrie way (into town), "it is going to be sold out, our seats are going to be bad." Got there, no lines, perfect seats, warm popcorn... and I got to say all the way home "I told you so" Almost as sweet as that run!

Bugs

Way to go on the 5 minute turnaround, Bugs.  I could never do that.  And I bet I smell worse than you do after a run.  Smile

Tough run, Erika.  Freezing rain, yikes!  Glad you didn't have that Sunday.

Paul - what Erika said and more.  I'll try to remember to forward the "maraparanoia" paper which was sent to us from the Freedom's Run Marathon RD, but I can't right now.

Perry - the guys in my club say ultras are easier than marathons.  What do you think?  I think they were talking about 50K's, though, not 50M's, though.

8.3 miles @ 7:58/mi, including 10 striders.  Good workout.

So I had this dream.  I am not sure what led up to this but I was flying in a plane, looking at trails we might run on.  But Harriet wasn't happy about me going up in a plane.  So I am flying along and there are some planes I have to avoid.  All of a sudden a helicopter kind of got in front of me.  Well it was a cop and I ended up landing and he landed with me.  He gave me a ticket.  For failure to yield.  To Harriet.  heh

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Bugs, I'm running Tecumseh Trail Marathon in Indiana on Dec. 4... last marathon for awhile for me. At least one I'll train for.

More rain today, roads are a mess but DH brought me in to work for a few hours.

Lou, I've heard that, too. I think it's because the ultra mindset is different. Walking is encouraged, and in longer races it's even ok to take a break every so often (as in, sit down, change shoes, have a snack, etc).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lou -- funny dream.

I'm a much a newbie at ultras, of course. Also I've not raced one. I think jogging a marathon is easier than jogging 50M. But I can't speak to racing a marathon (plenty painful) to racing a 50M (which I've not really done).  In my extremely limited experience, ultras have seemed more laidback, and less high intensity/stressful -- in the way people felt and approached them.

• 52mi was Sat. (several mi of walking near end, which may have helped give me an unplanned built-in warmdown)
                    • Sun did 4mi, which started out really slow and painful and uncomfortable form due to blisters and soreness, but progressed to slow and comfortable, and felt good afterward
                    • Mon did abt 7mi with some friends. Felt good most of it, but legs started feeling sore near end
                    • Tue (today) toes hurt a bit (blisters). Did 4mi or so easy, felt good except toes hurting. Ran 2000 fast pacing a friend thru the end of his 3200 interval, and it felt really good to go fast.

theyapper

On the road again...

That was quite the odd dream, Lou.  Bet Mrs. Lou got a chuckle out of it.

Easy 5 mile progression run this morning.  Not on purpose, the paces just dropped each mile.

Paul

Bugs

Lou,

I stink most of the time. Take last night, six miles on the TM, I crawled into bed with clothes and got up and ran this morning. (Then I did shower.)

Erika,

Marathon sounds fun! Wish I could travel to one. No money, too much work at work.

7.5 miles in cold wind. Glad to get it in before the big storm hits. Legs were tired this morning, running last night and them up at 4:20 a.m. not ideal.

Bugs

Bugs

I think jogging a marathon is easier than jogging 50M.

Smile You think?

Bugs

Kimmie

Ran 3 miles with a friend this morning... have the reverse situation as Bugs, as I cut my run way short since we are supposed to LEAVE soon, as in now, to go to DC but when I got back, no one was ready.  Smile   Ah well, no worries... maybe I can run again later tonight.

Bugs, you better pick a race to make all this running show off.

Back to my debate about the 5K and my daughter...problem is, she's not a super strong runner.  My biggest concern is she'll get out there and not want to finish.   So, we'll see....

Off to DC and then the 5K in the morning.

Kimmie

oh, and I don't want to even comment on Bugs running 6 miles with no shower???

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

She's Super-Bugs.