Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/13 - 7 days of Boston Taper Madness (Read 344 times)

Dave

MTA: How long for you guys to shower and be dressed after a run? If I don't wash my hair, seven minutes flat. This guy at work takes minimum 20 minutes to enter and exit locker room. What he's doing in there I have no idea.
    I say skip the shower and run the extra mile. Shower and dressed takes me a little longer than 7 minutes and I don't' have any hair to do. Maybe its the boots.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

MTA: How long for you guys to shower and be dressed after a run? If I don't wash my hair, seven minutes flat. This guy at work takes minimum 20 minutes to enter and exit locker room. What he's doing in there I have no idea.
      Shower? I know not of what you speak. Just us stinky geeks here. It all smells the same in an Air Conditioned server room.

Bugs

I say skip the shower and run the extra mile..
        I can shower faster than I can run. Big grin
        Shower? I know not of what you speak. Just us stinky geeks here. It all smells the same in an Air Conditioned server room.
        Computers is a good line of work for runners. I figure as long as I look hot I don't have to smell so hot. If you're only allowed two point workouts in a week, and one is a three hour long run, and you were training for a flat marathon would you run hills or intervals for the second point workout? I think everyone here would run intervals. Not my coach, he will have me running hills on Wednesday, which makes me sad because I really wanted to run a good set of intervals tomorrow. It is my punishment for running my long runs fast and hard.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

i wouldn't run intervals. I would go for the hills... apparently i'm not normal. Blush

Bugs

apparently i'm not normal. Blush
            Anybody that runs a marathon every weekend is not normal. Big grin

Bugs

Kimmie

You could run the hills fast... that way it would be both. Or you could alternate- one week intervals, next week hills I said this before, but I really regret not putting more hillwork into training for Myrtle Beach just because it was a flat marathon. I think I missed out on some fitness that you can only get from hills. Well, no run again for me today... bummer... I wanted to, but between saying goodbye to the inlaws this morning, to doing stuff with the kids and then coaching soccer... it just didn't happen. tomorrow I will run no matter what- I think it's supposed to rain, too.
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes, I'm expecting some nice rain training tomorrow too Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Hills are like strength training for your legs. They'll help even on a flat marathon. And I don't really run "intervals," as in on a track or whatever. I prefer what are called "cruise" intervals. I think it's a Daniels term, right Lou? Those and tempo runs are pretty much the only "speedwork" I do, unless I'm doing mile or half mile repeats on the treadmill. Ok, so maybe I do sort of run intervals.
                    I'm not sure, never read Daniels -- but thanks for the reminder as I've been meaning to get his book. (I love Amazon -- this book and Lydiard's will arrive before we leave for Boston). I think hills and intervals are about the same type of training, no? In any case I don't do hills specifically, but it's pretty hilly around here so I probably get some hill training regardless. 6.1 miles, 57:19, 9:20/mi, AHR 134 (69% MHR) 6 days 'til Boston. Long range forecast: 37-53°, few showers (30% chance), winds E 10 mph

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

aaahhh 5 nice miles this morning!
                        I'd go for the hills. I've heard hills are speed training in disguise. I CAN"T wait to do my 14 mile hilly run this Friday! Nice soggy morning. Got 20 on my plate we'll see if it goes how it's supposed to!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

If you're only allowed two point workouts in a week, and one is a three hour long run, and you were training for a flat marathon would you run hills or intervals for the second point workout?
                          I'd probably alternate weeks (1 week hills, next week intervals). I do tend to run the hills as intervals when I do hill repeats though. Its like double dipping.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

I'd probably alternate weeks (1 week hills, next week intervals). I do tend to run the hills as intervals when I do hill repeats though. Its like double dipping.
                            I was SUPPOSE to alternate, but since I was still not 100% healthy last week it was changed to ALL EASY, nothing longer than an hour. I had to beg and please for the 1:30 long run on Saturday. The week before last I did 50 minutes of hills as a point run, not including warm-up and cool-down. This will be an hour of hill circuits. So I guess this is good for me. Smile I just enjoy the fast running (intervals) more than the hill circuits, but I'm guessing since I ran the long runs hard he decided to go with hills instead of intervals, and well we all know this coach believes in hills. Lou, the hills springing he had me do is a bit different than just running hills, although Nobby would give you kudos for that too. you really feel it exactly in the glutes and quads that are sore after the marathon. I think coach believes most runners do not have good length strength for the last 10K of a marathon.

Bugs

Bugs - I think you're probably right that the workout you're doing is different that what I'm doing. One of my more experienced friends indicated there was no need to do "hill workouts" in my neighborhood, but I'm always learning and listening to opinions. On the flip side of that my quads were trashed after Boston last year. What exactly is "hill springing"?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

I registered for my next 2 races!!! Andrew Jackson and CMM!!!!! I am SOOO ready for saturday's 'thon... can't freaking wait!!! guess I should do some laundry so I have clothes to race in!