Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/13 - 7 days of Boston Taper Madness (Read 344 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks for the advice, Dave. I normally run my weeks from Sun to Sat, so Sun is an off day for me and Sat is my long run. But this past Sunday was so nice, I couldn't help running. That's what caused the 6 days in a row. I feel better today. Lou, I also use Time Machine, but would be interested in a referral for Carbonite. Who knows, we may end up getting you a whole year free!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Erika, Sorry about the iTunes troubles. I am terrible about backing stuff up. DH and I are both technical people, you'd think we'd have home computer setup perfectly, not so.. it's like the car mechanic that drives the junker. Legs are toast today from last nights hill circuits. I was suppose to run the down hill HARD, and I included a little flat section in it. The downhill was about 3 minutes of running under an 8:00 min pace. Was a combo intervals and hill workout after all. Couldn't sleep last night, at 2:00 a.m. I laid in the tanning bed, tan the fat. When you're legs are tired, and you're tired, I'm never sure if it's better to go jog 20-30 minutes or just take a day off. Sometimes those days off refresh me mentally. (I'm think Shan would tell me to keep moving.) I wish I had time to get to the pool, my favorite way to recover.

Bugs

Hail to The Victors!

Erika, Sorry about the iTunes troubles. I am terrible about backing stuff up. DH and I are both technical people, you'd think we'd have home computer setup perfectly, not so.. it's like the car mechanic that drives the junker.
        Me too. I had a hard drive crash in January. Lots of stuff gone forever. Most of the important media files are backed up, however, just not the other stuff, like, you know, old tax returns (sigh). I still have to script the backup mechanism into the replacement drives, I just haven't done it yet. It's only been three months, why do you ask? Still running a little sore because of Monday. Probably will daily double anyway. 10 this morning, 5-6 tonight. Wife has massage tonight, so I'll get out while she's out. It's just way too nice here not to today. I have this urge to reach 80 mpw once this cycle, and this week is the last, best chance to do so, so it's time to go for it.

Bugs

jhallum, You are my idol with the amazing running you're doing.

Bugs

evanflein

I know, his running is amazing. Ok those of you using time machine (Dave and Paul?) what sort of drive do you back it up to? I was thinking of getting a mac mini. This is my work computer, and I can back up most of the stuff on the shared drive here, but they don't allow "personal" stuff, and boy those iTunes libraries get pegged as "personal" pretty fast. I have other personal things on this mac that I'd like to have backed up just in case... you know. Whatever. Foot a little sore today. Trying to decide if it's because of the Speedstars (in which case I won't be taking them to Boston) or "just because." With my foot, "just because" is very highly likely. I was going to run 5 easy tonight, but may not if it's not feeling up to it. Not like I don't have tons of packing and laundry to do anyway! Bugs, careful of those tanning beds. I've sworn them off forever.

Dave

Erika, on the backup drive, I splurged and got one of the really nice ones with a built in USB/Firewire hub from http://www.macsales.com/. Its very nice but any external USB or Firewire drive will work fine (firewire 800 is much faster if your mac has that interface). 4 easy miles today in perfect weather (take that, Bugs). Self control was restored and I ran a consistent 9:00 pace.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Dave, still wavering on the half on Sunday... Did you decide ? Ran 6 gorgeous miles... Smile progressive run? that was fun.
                  YAYYYYYYY Jeremy! Hope to see you in the 80's this week! I agree it is WAY too beautiful not to be out enjoying it and like you I have a double day planned. Nice self control Dave! I need some of that (though I am doing MUCH better) Hope your foot is feeling better ASAP Erika! Bugs, enjoy whatever you decide to do today! I didn't get a second run in yesterday due to dh coming home with a major migraine. However I am now glad I didn't since today looks PERFECT for doubles! Got in 10 easy miles earlier and will do another 4-6 after dh gets home.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

Dave, still wavering on the half on Sunday... Did you decide ?
                    Nope. Still wavering myself. Thought about joining Tri-Kev for his club's long run instead.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

Erika, on the backup drive, I splurged and got one of the really nice ones with a built in USB/Firewire hub from http://www.macsales.com/. Its very nice but any external USB or Firewire drive will work fine (firewire 800 is much faster if your mac has that interface). 4 easy miles today in perfect weather (take that, Bugs). Self control was restored and I ran a consistent 9:00 pace.
                      +1. When I bought drives for faculty workstation backups in my old job (we had no centralized backups), we used to buy stuff like this all the time. For Macs with Firewire, go with something by Seagate, or maybe Maxtor, as they warranty the drives and enclosures for 3 years, not just the first year.
                      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Running reasonably well, just trying to hold on until taper time. Job is going well, still not much time for being social. Ok I can't stand it anyamore, I'm going to be rude and ask. Sorry if this has already been asked and I missed it. Rockenmama - is that pic in your avatar you? That's absolutely amazing. Shocked
                        Kimmie

Hi Mr.I! Glad your running is going well... keep popping in from time to time. And yes, that is her. I agree... totally amazing. Bugs- what did you decide to do ? I thought about you when I was running because I was really tired before going out to run. I wasn't up at 2 am., but I didn't get enough sleep. I am glad I made myself go- the weather really helped to get me out the door, too. and, you have a tanning bed in your house? that's cool.
                            Thanks Kimmie Blush What a quiet day. Got out for a short easy run after dh got home. Couldn't go as long as I would have liked since I had to pick up dd and her bf from Girl Scouts. Tomorrow is hills. I'm looking forward to them. Somehow I think I may regret 14 miles (or close too) worth of hills. Guess we shall see.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave, the carbonite referral is in your inbox -- no problem on the beer Smile Yapper, I need your email address. I tried just typing in yapper, and the carbonite web page complained Tongue So here's the thing with a local backup server. We used to use one -- we had a server on the home network and all the computers automatically backed up every night. But we were worried -- what if the house burns down? What happens to all those pictures? I had a second server I kept off site. Pretty much of a pain in the butt. Then Harriet lost some information due to an automated microsoft windows upgrade screwup (for real), and we didn't recover the files before the automated backup wiped out the old data. We've learned our lesson. Oh, Erika - I forgot you have a mac. I'm not sure if carbonite would work with your mac. From the web site "Carbonite is also available for all Intel-based Macs running OS 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard)."

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Yapper, I need your email address. I tried just typing in yapper, and the carbonite web page complained Tongue"
                                Thanks, Lou. I got it.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul