Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/25-8/31 (Read 181 times)

Bugs

Last week of the month. Should be a good months for miles. I will be really glad to see September. 6 miles for this morning including interval workout. I don't get fancy with these. I run to some object like a tree at my 5K pace, recover and do it again. My legs still feel really fresh despite a tough week of miles last week. However both my boys have been sick and I feel a little under the weather. Erika, I hope your foot gets better soon. Feet pain sucks, hard not to use your feet. When we're both old and grey we can rock in our rocking chairs together. Cash, don't know you'd survive the McDonalds playland leg of that race. Cheers, to a new week.

Bugs

evanflein

Thanks for starting us off this week, Bugs. I too am looking forward to September. That interval run you did sounds like a Fartlek run. Good stuff. Helps you get some speedwork done without being a slave to a watch or distance, other than the mailbox thing. Good job! Dave is buckin' for major brownie points at the end of last week's thread. What a guy. Seriously, that was sweet. Shan, 10 lbs in a month is a lot. Wow. How I'd love that problem. But I'm not trying to get pregnant... Increasing physical activity and losing weight is a good way to get sporadic. It could still happen, but not as easily. Relax though. It's all good. I remember a doctor saying they wouldn't get concerned unless you'd tried for a year with no luck. So hang in there. Seems like you're still a newlywed, anyway! What's the hurry? I hit the gym last night for the stationary bike, weights and pool running. About 1 1/2 hours total almost. Felt pretty good, but I don't like having to find things that don't bother my foot. The elliptical is no good. Same with Stair master... two of my gym favorites. So, the bike is fine, and so is weight training (mostly upper body/core stuff), and of course pool running. *sigh* I am running today, just about 5-6 at lunchtime, and I'll ice again tonight. Big day of hills on the books for tomorrow... Enjoy the end of August! Labor Day is less than a week away. Wow.

Bugs

That interval run you did sounds like a Fartlek run.
        You are right, I always forget the difference. I feel a little silly saying/typing fartlek. I wouldn't mind being more formal about watching the distance it's just more fun to run to a physical object. Shan, 10 pounds is a lot but hey good for you. Last fall I had all the pregnancy symptoms, it was just my body changing from the difference in exercise levels. I agree with everything Erika said that there is no reason to worry at all for at least one year and even then there is lots of low tech things that can be fixed. You might want to ask your doctor about training for a marathon while trying to get pregnant, if you haven't all ready. But I have a feeling it will all workout like this, because it is typical. Your best friend, maybe a sister, or the girl down the hall at work will become pregnant. You'll congratulate and you'll be pist inside, then boom ya'll be pregnant. Until then enjoy the no kid time with DH! I'm taking my kids to their aunts tonight for a 3 day stay. 3 days no kids what to do?

Bugs

Dave

My wife and I had 7 years together before our first daughter was born. Most of it living in Europe. Good times. Really good times. Not that I don't love my kids but I'm glad we had that time together, particularly since we got married so young. One Christmas we went skiing in Austria on basically a whim. Not so easy now. As far as major brown nosing, what can I say? I'm surrounded by women and I've grown to appreciate them. Mostly. Particularly since I work mostly with men. 10K today at an easier pace. Starting to try and psyche myself up for 19 on Sunday....

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Have I mentioned I want 6 kids?? Honestly though, we aren't waiting because that's not a part of our life plan. We love each other and enjoy spending time together, but we can't wait to have babies and expand our family. We have talked about it at length and came up with our life plan and it involves a large family. So it is right for us to start right away. hehe... yeah 10 lbs is a lot. I'm wearing pants today that I haven't fit into in 3 years. Big grin I'm happy about that. I really think that's part of it. And you know what if I have to wait till after the marathon to get preg. I'll be sad but it will be worth it because what if I don't ever get around to it afterwards?? At least then I won't have a regret. Plus they did say it can take a year so we will just have to wait and see. Every day I become less and less stressed about it. So that's good. Erika - you take it easy on that foot! maybe finding those alternatives will be a blessing in disguise. Bugs - ohh enjoy those 3 days!! I say go for loud ruckous fun time with DH!! hehe And yes you are right a friend of mine starting trying to get preg this month (but has been off the pill for 6) and I will probably be secretly pissed if she's preg. before us. Dave - that does sound like fun!! You will kick butt on your 19.

Bugs

Have I mentioned I want 6 kids??
              My Mom had 7, started at age 29.

Bugs

Dave

Have I mentioned I want 6 kids?? Dave - that does sound like fun!! You will kick get your butt kicked on your 19.
                Fixed that for you (again), joke getting overused. Have I mentioned I'm getting a vasectomy after this marathon? Wink Wink

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Dave, I didn't say brown-nosing! I said you were scoring major brownie points! (that's a good thing, btw) You'll be doing your 19 while I'm doing my 22... well, you'll be done before I start, I'm sure, but a big day for both of us. Shan, funny story: My DH's oldest sister wanted 12 kids. Seriously. After her first, she said, well, maybe 10... After her second, she said 7 or 8 would be good. After her third, and first boy, she said one more after this and it'll be good! After the 4th (and third girl), she said that's probably just right. Then, right after I got PG with my first, she got PG with her 5th! After that one (4th girl)... she had her tubes tied. We teased that she just never did figure out what caused it and had the wrong side of the equation fixed! DH and I were married almost 3 years before we had our first. I would've preferred another year of "just us" but I wasn't getting any younger! And yes, Shan, you're right to do the marathon now cuz while I wouldn't say you might not do another... it could be a very long time before you have the opportunity (and desire) to train for another!

Dave

Dave, I didn't say brown-nosing! I said you were scoring major brownie points! (that's a good thing, btw)
                    Shows what happens when I skim posts quickly while responding at work. I might need to wait to get home to read stuff through a bit more Blush

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - that is a funny story!!! I know we might change our mind I'm certainly not saying that we will have 6 kids whether we like it or not! But that's just always the number I want so I'm sticking to it till I change my mind! LOL Bugs - I know I have time I'm young! Dave - are you really??? 6 wonderful miles today!!

Dave

Yes. Really. We've been talking about it for a while and at 42 and 39, we don't think we want any more children. It's probably time. Enough talk about my man parts. Erika, hope your foot feels better. Bugs, I'm certain that you'll figure out something on 3 days without kids Evil grin

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Yes. Really. We've been talking about it for a while and at 42 and 39, we don't think we want any more children. It's probably time. Enough talk about my man parts.
                          hehehehehe... man parts... hehehe I'm glad you are both on board with the decision. I hope it goes well. ok I'm done now... PS I've played with my running the last two days and I think I like the change... I'm running more from my belly button - if that makes sense. It's lead to me running more upright, quicker leg turnover - leading to faster running, but still feeling easy as pie, and no calf/IT pain. I realize some of that might just be the fact that my legs are fresh, but I'm holding out that its a good change.
                          evanflein

My DH had it. Best thing... talk about freedom. Yessirreee! Shan, that sounds like a good way to run. I know exactly what you mean. Thanks, Dave... foot felt ok on my run today which is better than it has been. Good thing cuz my legs wanted to go! 6.6 miles at 8:04 avg pace.Wasn't planning on a tempo run, but that's what it turned into. Mile splits were 8:23, 8:17, 8:16, 7:58, 7:44, 7:28, 8:25 for the last .6 mile. (First 3.3 miles or so were slightly uphill, last 3 miles slightly downhill) I was lamenting all the Quaker rice cakes (yum, cararmel corn flavor!) I'd munched this morning, but maybe that's why I felt so good? Hard to say what makes one run so much better than another. Sure was nice out there today...

Oh Mighty Wing

My DH had it. Best thing... talk about freedom. Yessirreee!
                              and hence another reason we might as well be trying to make babies!!! We have freedom to do it all over the place - and always have an excuse! Blush Ok or we can just not worry about getting preggers because it's the goal. LOL
                              Cashmason

First night of tri class. She had us doing drills at walking pace for running. Got home and did a little 5 mile progression run Mile Pace Lap distance in miles. 1 10:05 1.00 2 9:35 1.00 3 9:13 1.00 4 8:30 1.00 5 8:05 1.00 6 2:50 0.35 = 8:03 pace Right shoe came untied the last mile or so and didnt want to stop to re tie it. Time for speed laces in these shoes.