Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-9 (Read 331 times)

Cashmason

36 miles on the bike yesterday, 41 more miles today. Lots of hills. Legs are fried.
      36 miles on the bike yesterday, 41 more miles today. Lots of hills. Legs are fried.
      my legs are tired by just reading this!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

I posted in the racing thread (as I wanted Nobby to see it). We skipped the race. It was $55 race and we decided just to run together, and I wanted to run with him, more than the race. (glad to save the money, the race is NOT worth $55). I was a bit nervous as we drove to the middle of no-where to run. But it was such a pretty area with lots of trees, hard to believe we were in the city. We ran up and down hills 11 miles avg 8:38 pace, which he said is much harder than he usually runs with his girls. That was one thing that I had misunderstood, I thought he ran them long runs faster, but not necessarily. We had coffee and lunch at Red Lobster. He ordered the Admirals Feast, and shared his clam strips with me. Nobby is as cool as he seems, and is exactly like his online personality. I got some valuable critique of my running form and some things to try to fix them. My shoulders get tense and I lean. Between running and my desk job my shoulder's ache so I would love to improve that. He really thinks I need some faster running (fartlek), hill running, strides and not just running more miles. He made it clear this is what 'he thinks'...he has not got me figured out. He said so many people train for a marathon recover and start over in training. He said much of my training for Twin Cities that I did last fall will still have a benifit for Grandmas even though right now it feels like all that fitness is gone, boy I hope he is right. When he dropped me off back at my car, I gave me a little gift, new running socks, what runner can't use new socks? It was a great day and I'm completely exhausted.

Bugs

AWESOME 9.2 mile run today. I learned something. I spent WAY too much time running on trails last year which doesn't really help prepare your body for pounding the pavement. I also learned how much FASTER my body recovers when running on trails. My legs felt so fresh on todays run, I couldn't help thinking during my run how if I had I was running a half marathon today I would have no problem PRing. I finished my run with lots of energy left and legs were feeling great. We'll see how they feel tomorrow. Wonder where Bugs is. Hope she's enjoying herself! Can't wait to read her report!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Sounds like an AWESOME day Bugs!!! Very cool that you got to spend alot of it with Nobby!

Cashmason

Awesome Bugs! You got way more than 55 dollars experience and knowledge today. What does Nobby want you doing rather than training for the next marathon! Pam, you are so right about training on trails vs roads. Not to mention the mental part is easier, at least for me, the scenery is better and more varied, time goes by faster, even though it is more up and down. And if I am training for a road race, I still have to train at least a portion on roads, so my legs can take the extra pounding on race day. But you can train more/ easier on trails, so that is nice to mix in as well. Bugs 8:38 on trails is cookin in my book. I am lot slower on trails. And while I can train at 8 :38 I cant talk for more than a few words before I am huffing and puffing.

Oh Mighty Wing

YEAH Bugs - glad it went well!! Cash - I got a bike - I pick it up Monday as it needed tuning/tires/grips. I don't know how to ride it - I haven't been on a bike in 15 years. I'm nervous! Pam - great run!
                Cashmason

Shan, great idea on tune up and new tires. Thats important stuff most people forget. Trust me, You havent forgotten how to ride a bike. However make your first few rides on the bike should be around 15 -30 minutes. Your butt needs to get used to the saddle. If you ride for a long time, your butt will get sore, and you wont want to ride again. I assume your bike has straight handlebars and you twist the grip to change speeds? Pam, your runs are lot more impressive than my rides. Divide riding mileage by 3 to get the equivalent running miles. Plus riding doesnt pound the body as much. Your muscles get just as sore, but no pounding on the joints so a lot fewer injuries. Shan, your seat should be roughly about as high as your hip bone. When you ride, there should be a slight bend in the knee when the foot is at the lowest postion. Toes and heels should be same level, toes should not be pointed down when you pedal. Knees should point straight ahead, not out to the sides. ( Teen agers who ride with the seat way too low, have their knees point outwards. Knees should be facing the same direction you want to go.)

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash, my plan is to go to the bike shop that has my bike and play cute dumb girl (which works cause in this instance I am) and have them do the adjusting and anything else that might need to be done. 15-30 minutes?? HA I was gonna start with 5. We are overcoming a HUGE fear. It might be slow going before I'm out on the streets having a good time. Yes, I think the handlebars are straight. It is not a twist grip, it's a finger speed changer I believe. My dad gave it to me to learn on - we figure if I like it I can upgrade.
                      Pam, you are so right about training on trails vs roads. Not to mention the mental part is easier, at least for me, the scenery is better and more varied, time goes by faster, even though it is more up and down. And if I am training for a road race, I still have to train at least a portion on roads, so my legs can take the extra pounding on race day. But you can train more/ easier on trails, so that is nice to mix in as well.
                      I was ultra marathon training so I figured trails were the way to go plus I really hated running the roads in my area. The only reason I moved back to the roads this winter was due to the trails being to frozen and crappy. Now that my milage will be going up it will be nice to facilitate both the roads and the trails.. MTA: i'm still impressed with all the bike riding you do!

Thanks Shannon Smile Someone should be getting close to getting lined up for her half right now. Good luck Shan Smile

Hey, everyone! Go, Shan! 17.2 miles, 2:30:36, 8:46/mi, AHR 148 miles@pace(AHR) = 5@9:16(141), 7@8:51(147), 5.18@8:10(155) I thought about doing 10 or so at MP, but decided since I'll be racing a half next weekend that wasn't a good idea. Plus I was lazy. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

1:55:05!!!!!!!!!!!! 51 minute PR on a "tough" (as I was told by many people) course (Dave the hills of the 10miler were included in the half)! hehehehe Big grin

Bugs

Awesome Bugs! You got way more than 55 dollars experience and knowledge today. What does Nobby want you doing rather than training for the next marathon! Bugs 8:38 on trails is cookin in my book. I am lot slower on trails. And while I can train at 8 :38 I cant talk for more than a few words before I am huffing and puffing.
                              He thought it would be better for me to train for shorter stuff for awhile before tackling marathon. I'm still not sure as winter I seem to de-train. We were on roads but it was very hilly. Seems rather whimpy compared to AWESOME Shan.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

you are NOT wimpy at all!!!! I think you are mighty impressive!!!