Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/11 (Read 411 times)

Dave

Do they let you use a garmin for pacing?
    Yes. Although I doubt the distance was accurate going around a partially wooded 1/4 mile track. I manually lapped each quarter mile: 1:25, 1:34, 1:36, 1:36 - 6:11 first mile 1:38, 1:39, 1:38, 1:34 - 6:29 second mile Now that I look at that, it doesn't look like such even splits Tongue

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

wow Dave! Super fast.... good job!
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Thinking maybe about something under 13 minutes. Will see how it goes.
        Congrats Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

How about you, MrI, ready to go?
          Totally. I've never faced a race as prepared as I am right now. I'm actually not feeling like running much during taper because it feels like all my training is done and I'm just killing time. Enough already. I want to race. Not sure exactly when we're getting into town or where we're going to eat dinner. Wouldn't mind touching bases before the race.

Bugs

Did you eat honey during the marathon or just in the days leading up to it?
            A tablespoon of honey with each meal three days before marathon. Eat carbs with the meal but just normal sized meals. Most of my carbs were strawberries. I had bagel with honey the morning of. Shan was so fun to run with. She's funny! I was going on a stroll enjoying the ride and she's picking off runners. She's like "see that person, there is no reason we're behind that guy." Cracks me up. I was trying to be careful though as there were lots of half marathon runners with us, and looks can be deceiving. I want to run with her again, when I don't have to worry about recovery, go see how many runners we can put behind us.

Bugs

Bugs

Yap, (Yapper is too long for now on you're yap). Nice family! Expensive having a running family??? Pam, How are you feeling? Excited for you! You're up next!!!!

Bugs

Happy Camper

Yap, Bugs and JF great pictures! Dave: The Army standards only go to age 41? Good week of running going for me. 10& change Monday, 10& change today.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran with some friends doing mile repeats and I conquered a workout that defeated me last summer and which I never accomplished last year. Early last year I set out to try 3x1600 @ 6min pace -- that was too fast for me then I think as that was under my 5K pace then. A friend ran with me, and it was the first time we'd run intervals together, and I guess our competitive natures came out, and we smoked the first one (low 5:40s), and after that I was beat, so I just did 3/4 of each of the next two 1600s, to help her, as she actually did complete the workout. Well tonight I ran with a friend who was doing 2x1600 at under 6min pace, and that went well, and I accomplished a third one myself -- and now I was really doing them at my 5K pace -- and I suspect 3x1600 at 5K pace is a good workout. I am starting to really get a good feel for my 5K pace, probably in large part due to running so foolishly many 5K road races -- but it is nice to finally be feeling the paces well.

Dave

Dave: The Army standards only go to age 41?
                    Try this link. Should work better. They go up to 61 but I can't imagine being that old and still being in the Army. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/afpt.htm The standards used to be tougher. At one point I needed 11:54 to get 100% on my run. Sometimes its good to be old Smile

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Plus the senior discounts at IHOP and etc. Yumm. Well, ok, I don't get those yet, but I see people getting them, and I'm gonna enjoy getting them...

theyapper

On the road again...

Yap, (Yapper is too long for now on you're yap). Nice family! Expensive having a running family???
                        New name...check! Not too expensive, I guess. 15 bucks per. Well worth the $$$.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

The standards used to be tougher. At one point I needed 11:54 to get 100% on my run. Sometimes its good to be old Smile
                          The first time I looked I thought, "not hard, but harder than I expected.' Then I saw I was looking at the chart for males. Smile Good job on the two mile. My two mile is right at 14:00, but I don't run that often.

Bugs

Nice race Dave!! Great picture Bugs Smile As for me life is getting in the way. My Dog Kallie (golden retreiver) is really sick so I can't leave her alone which means I can't run until dh gets home. Today I had two places to be at close to the same time. Got Frankie to his practice asked my friend if she didn't mind keeping an eye on him until either Ken or I could get back, then had to head off to get Katie to her practice . Not usually so bad however having a sick dog with you doesn't help. Thankfully my aunt decided to show up today which means she should be outta the house by Sunday. Can't wait for Sunday. I'm doing a 5k tomorrow as a kind of tempo run. Not racing it but it's the first of the summer series so I really don't want to miss it. A freaky thing happened to my 2 year old washer. It has a glass lid and the bottom pane shattered (didn't completely break but it's got spider veins all over) on the top part of it. The only thing I can think of that caused it was temperature. Maybe doing a cold wash after doing a hot wash earlier. Anyways I can't do laundry in fear that the weakened glass will completely break leaving lots of broken glass inside the washer. Hopefully when they repair company comes out tomorrow they can call the part in and they will have it in stock. Anyway got in a nice 6 mile run after dark tonight. LOVED running in the dark though could have used a headlamp. If I'm to run at night I can't go too far due to not having much lighting and safe roads to run on.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Hey Pam, sorry to hear about your dog. I was wondering why we weren't hearing from you. You have your marathon on Sunday, right? And you're running a 5K? Just curious, since I've always thought you were supposed to rest before a marathon. Try to hang in there with all that you've got going on. I know it can be hard.

Bugs

Real runners wear the same clothes for multiple runs. Clean laundry is overrated. (I even wore the sports bra from Saturday more than once. I smelled it, not a drop of sweat on it.) Hang in there Pam, now you need to conserve mental and physical energy. I was scheduled for a 5K one week before my marathon, it wasn't really a problem except I think I got a little banged up **** but **** I think it was because I did not warm-up properly. If you race it (and I would) I'd ice your legs afterwards.

Bugs