Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/27 (Read 336 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning all! Glad to be able to start the week's thread for a change. Running well, work is tough, life (the stuff that interferes with running) continues to be chaotic. Looking forward to a summary, sad that I rely on those to catch up Sad Final week of tough training until taper.

Oh Mighty Wing

Good morning Mr. I Hey guys - thanks for all the shouts over the last week. I had a bunch of stuff going on both running/non-running was feeling very funky and irritable and the only way I could ensure I wouldn't take it out on anyone was to unjoin the groups. So I lurked. The deal with my ankle/foot - bruised 5th metatarsal and inflamed tendon (the one that runs from the 5th meta around the back of my ankle knob and up into my leg). Doc said to give it another week off but that he didn't know if running would or would not hurt it (if I change my stride then I risk SF if I don't then it will be fine). The pain is apparently mostly nerve pain - that tendon sits on a nerve so when it's inflamed the nerve fires. So I can ignore the pain - if I am able to. CMM - yes I sort of ran it - let's just say I finished it. My ankle/foot did NOT hurt during the race - everything else was tight after not having run. I apparently crossed the 20 mile mat at around 4 hours. I finished in 5:3x so I moved VERY slowly the last 6 - I walked it - ran when I saw the finish line. It was hot and ugly. Yesterday I drove 13 hours. Today my ankle/foot HATES me and is slightly swollen... no run yesterday or this morning... I will do something this afternoon - probably running on grass... we'll see how it does during the day... Can't wait for the summary to get a catch up on last week! I know there was a bunch of racing this weekend!!!
        Hey Inertia! Hi, Shan! Another recovery run for me: 3.1 miles, 28:58, 9:12/mi, AHR 131 (67% MHR) At least I didn't post on last week's thread again Roll eyes (and I saw Cash's note after I posted Wink )

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Yikes Shan! Get yourself recovered ok?
          Kimmie

Hi you all! thanks for the advice, Erika. I am still pumped from the relay and forced myself to take a day off yesterday. I'm watching a friends' children today, but I'm still hoping to get a run in.... twins are 8 and the little boy is 3- (I'll have him all day)- so, the schedule is busy, but I'm determined to run... even if I have to take them to a track and let them play in the middle. I think I will write a relay report... can't wait to hear from pace about his experience. Dave, you feeling OK? Shan, so sorry to hear about your injury. Glad you came back to let us know what was going on. It sounds like you have a good DR. Take it easy and get better. I ran the Chicago Death March Marathon in 07, so I feel the pain of running a marathon in the heat. I was telling someone that story the other day and I said that it got up to 98 that day- so weird.... Speaking of warm, today's high will be in the 90s again. I know this is just a fluke, but it is weird to have such hot temperatures. I just got my deck de- winterized and it was a little too hot out there yesterday. Have a good day all.
            theyapper

On the road again...

After attempting a long run in the heat Saturday, it was nice to be up early this morning and running before the sun got up. Nice, relaxed 4.5 miles. Hope your foot is okay, Shan. Sorry to hear about the pain.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Camper

Made it back in around 10Tonguem last night. Very tired, very happy. Kim, it was so nice to meet you and speak with you. Wish we could have visited longer before the start. The Vanbulance was co-winner for best vehicle. I have pictures and more to share when I can get it together. It was so much fun. Erika, you are spot on. This kicked my butt in a very good way. Not hurt or injured. I'm just very sore, got more out of myself and reached a new place and experience physically afterwards. Shan, you are a warrior. Mr I, Jeremy and Dave, nice races!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Dang, Shan. I knew you were in Nashville but wondered if you would run it. Guess I shouldn't have wondered. Big grin I feel surprisingly good today considering. I'm guessing its because I backed off early, as soon as mile 16 in the heat and alternated walking and running for almost the last 10 miles. I didn't have the total collapse that I did at national (probably because I went out a couple of minutes slower and backed off when it became clear that I wasn't going to hold pace). First half was 2 minutes slower. Second half was 6 minutes faster. I'll put up a full race report later today. I've go the day off work and will be putzing around the house today (lawn mowing, cleaning...). Hoping to hear something from our realtor in Michigan.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Monday everyone!!! Can't wait to hear all the reports from this past weekends racers! Congrats to all! Hot today. My half is this SUnday so I'll probably be doing short doubles this week, though not sure. Due to busy week and scheduling conflicts I didn't quite get the milage I wanted last week. I'm fine with that since it's probably for the better. Doubt that missing 20 miles worth of runs in just one week is going to ruin my marathon (though who knows). Kids did great at their games and practices this weekend despite the heat. Frankie's team won their 4th game in a row and they've only had one practice. Gotta love being out there in the heat of the day Roll eyes . Dh and I did some work in our yard. We'll be planting a garden in the next week or so. I'll be glad when it's all done and cleaned up. Dh's timing on these projects always SUCKS!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Dave, Good work on the gutsy hot marathon you got done over the weekend. Not easy running in those conditions. Shan, Glad to see you back here. When I hurt my feet they gave me these white styrofoam cushion things for my shoes.. nice little pillows while my feet healed and let me continue to run without pain. Mine was more in the arch, not sure if that is the same as yours. My achilles is acting up. Nothing I have not been through before, but graston doc was booked into next week. I called in a favor. Maybe it helps my DH is moving his clinic over the next week to a new building and doc wants the network to be working? Maybe because I bring Doc beer. Kissing up never hurts. Anyway appointment tomorrow at 8:00, and I'm thinking the staff is getting bagels and orange juice. Smile

Bugs

Dave

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/photocard.aspx?pc=7F7C5065687134E877044B3F2DAF1095 Crossing the bridge early in the race. I was tucked in close behind the 3:30 pacer (in the green shirt).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

dave - where is our summary??? and I thought I told you I was running it... oh and good job! Yapp - eehh it's actually subsided a good bit - apparently it doesn't like sleep - who knew!! Pace - nah i'm just an idiot Bugs - i wish! I got no such luck! Mr.I - I'll be fine!! Smile Kimmie - the heat and humidity were just brutal mostly because we haven't seen that kind of weather yet. it affected lots of people (well not the elites but the others)
                          evanflein

I'm just amazed at the heat some of you are dealing with. We're warm too, for us, but it's nice with highs in the low to mid 60's these days. Love it, but what a drag to be at work. Spent the weekend cleaning my house. Gawd what a mess. If there's an upside to injuries, it's the ability to focus on the long-neglected parts of life. Like throwing a bunch of crap out. Amazing what a difference just cleaning all the clutter and crap off the bathroom counter and polishing it up makes. Helps me feel better about the whole house. Shan, you might benefit from the frozen dixie cup treatment... I use it on my metatarsal areas. Freeze a little dixie cup of water, then tear down the sides but leave the bottom as a handle. Put your foot on a towel and rub the ice around on your tender bits. Keep the ice moving so you don't freeze your skin, but go slow enough to get it good and cold. Nice running this weekend, gang. Take care of that achilles, Bugs. Those can be buggars to heal up.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - AWESOME! I will try this!!!! Thank you!!!
                                Sorry to hear about the achillies but at least you know how to deal with it! looking forward to your race report Dave Smile Glad to hear your having GREAT weather Erika! Sorry you have to work! Congrat Pace, looking forward to your race report! Got 7 miles done in the heat and will probably get another 6 or so sometime tonight. I figure my legs will appreciate these short doubles after all the mid long runs they've been doing lately. Still not sure what my strategy will be for this week.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson