Marathon Trainers

Introductions (Read 589 times)

Dave

Permanent thread for Team Blister Introductions. Please cut and paste your posts from this weeks thread and post them here.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Why I started Running: I started running in seventh grade when my friends convinced me to join track with them. I was not an athlete at any level but I loved track. I was always the first one back from our training runs and the distance never seemed long enough. Sadly my Mom died in eight grade and it was not possible for me to be in after school activites, but I continued to run on my own. As adult I would only run on the treadmill or I would bike. I'm not sure why I stopped running. The end of 2005, and that day I started running and have not stopped since. I think I run to stay strong physically and mentally. I race to challenge myself. Running has also built a strong network of friends that I cherish deeply. Running Stats: I have completed three marathons: Twin Cities Marathon 2006 4:06 Grandmas Marathon 2007 3:58 Twin Cities Marathon 2008 4:03 Personal Stats: I am married to a wonderful man who doesn't exactly understand why I need to do this running thing, but supports my running whole heartly. We also like to fish, and he likes to hunt. We're both in computer related professions. I have two sons, Tate seven and Lane six. They are both in Tae Kwon Doe. Sometimes I feel guilty for the time running takes away from them but I feel there is more to being a parent than being together, you must live your life as an example. I try to teach them to never give up, whatever you do never give up.

Bugs

Dave

1. Running off and on since 1988 when I entered the Army. More seriously since around 2005. 2. 1 Marathon (USMC 2007). Second and third, USMC 2008, National Marathon 2009. 3. Married 17 years 4. Two awesome girls, 3 and 10. As I mentioned, I'm in the Army, active duty since 1988. Gulf War vet. Currently assigned to Washington DC and moving next summer to a new position in Warren (Detroit), Michigan.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

1. Running since January 2007. 2. 1 marathon (Lincoln, NE. May 2008), next one is Tulsa on 11/16. 3. Married for 7 years 4. 1 son, almost 3. 1 more boy on the way in January.
            Why I started Running: 1. Started running in 2006. Bet some friends that I could run a marathon..and told everyone I knew I was going to do it..this forced me into actually doing it. I started running in May 2006, and my Marathon was October 15 '06. Lost about 25 pounds, but have gained 10 back after the 2nd marathon. Running Stats: Completed Marathons Columbus - 10/15/06 5:13 Las Vegas - 12/10/06 5:05 Cincinnati Flying Pig 05/06/07 5:20 US Air Force Marathon 9/15/07 5:11 Columbus - 10/21/07 5:47 Las Vegas Marathon 12/02/07 5:34 US Air Force Marathon 9/20/08 5:47 Columbus - 10/17/08 Las Vegas Marathon12/07/'08 Personal Stats: Married 14 years as of next week (October 15--also the 2 year anniversary of my first marathon). 0 kids, but 1 dog and 2 cats. Work in sales and started up a side business which is making it increasingly difficult to get out there and run..but Ive recently decided to make the time since I do love running.
            Kimmie

just wondering if everyone would help me to get to know you guys a little better. You all seem to know each other pretty well here. like: 1. How long have you been running? 2. How many marathons have you done and which ones? 3. Marital status? 4. Kids? anything else interesting... ok, I'll start: 1. I've been running since 1997... but it was VERY sporadic. I was basically a gym rat and I'd throw in an occasional 3 mile run or a 5K here and there. In 2004, I decided to train for a marathon and I've been running consistently ever since. 2. This one I've mentioned. Marine Corps (04), Grandmas (05), New York (05), Philly (06), Chicago (07) 3. Married for 10 years 4. 2 kids, girls, ages 7 and 5 i can't think of anything else to add except that I like this group. Smile

Oh Mighty Wing

Hello my name is Shannon. When and Why I've been running off and on since 2002. Always wanted to run marathons and decide I should get on that. So I started running consistently in April 2007. Stats Marathons: 11/2008 - Flying Monkey Marathon Life I'm a 25 year old chemistry teacher. I love to read and quilt (besides running of course!). I got married in February 08! We have a Boston Terrier named Tater who turned 2 in August and a 7 month old American Bulldog named Penny. One day we plan on starting a family - when it happens it happens and you guys will be among the first to know! I joined this group over at Cool Running because my goal was to run a marathon and I like to surround myself with people doing the things I want to do. And now they love me to much to kick me out! And we all hold out hope that one day i'll achieve my dream of being a marathon maniac (yes that's been my dream since 2002)!!
                evanflein

Hi, I'm Erika and for some reason I can't remember I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. Started running in 2003 when I got a bit bored at the gym (like Kimmie!) and started running a few local stupid races. Decided to run the local marathon in 2005 (Equinox) and met up with the group on Cool Running started at the time by IndyRunningGirl. That's where I met Cashmason and I think Murphy for the first time (and Pace 2 Race?). Can't remember now. Married for 19.5 years to a guy I used to ride the school bus with. Two teenage boys (14 and 16) who are both into soccer, the youngest is a soccer-stud and lets everyone know it. Roll eyes One very old dog, one very big cat. Full time job, large garden, house, the works. Life is just as stressful here as in any smallish city/community, just less traffic. I like to race all the local Running Club races with the goal being to win my AG, or place very high. I like winning the end of year AG award for the series. The series has everything from 1 mile to full marathon, but I prefer the longer and trail type races the best. I hate 5k's.... Marathons... Sept. 2005 Equinox March 2006 Napa Valley Sept. 2006 Equinox #2 August 2007 Humpy's in Anchorage AK (first BQ) Sept. 2007 Equinox #3 Oct. 2007 Bellingham Bay (BQ#2, and Marathon Maniac qualifier) Nov. 2007 Seattle (PR race and BQ#3) Dec. 2007 Christmas Marathon, Olympia WA (BQ#4) Jan. 2008 Carlsbad Marathon (BQ#5 and Silver Level MM qualifier) April 2008 Boston Marathon (new PR at 3:38:48) Sept. 2008 Equinox #4 (course PR at 4:15:05) Nov. 2008 NYC Marathon (3:57) Next Up: Jan. 2009 Disney World April 2009 Boston June 2009 Seattle Rock-n-Roll Sept 2009 Equinox #5

Hail to The Victors!

Howdy everyone, I'm Jeremy and I'm a runner. :-) I've was a runner in high school, and ran very sporadically until I got out of grad school, and then started running again in 2004. I've run two marathons to date, Detroit in 2004, and Toronto Waterfront in 2007 (the two races are scarily similar). I'm training to run Disney in 2009, and this is the second time I've done so. In 2005, I was training hard, and then I got hurt, hopefully second time's the charm. I've been married since 2000, we moved to Michigan from Massachusetts in 2001, where I went to Grad school. I still consider myself a Minnesotan, my wife says that I'm too Minnesota Nice sometimes. We have two cats, but no kids.
                      Hi, just joined this forum today. I've been spending most of my time in the masters forum, and a little bit of time in the 2000 and a couple of others.
                      1. How long have you been running?
                      Since May 2005. Previously I played indoor soccer, but when I tore my second ACL decided to find something less twisty. The first one I got reconstructed, but the second one is still torn. Doesn't seem to affect my running, though. My wife has been running a lot longer, and she finally got me started after trying for like forever.
                      2. How many marathons have you done and which ones?
                      Frederick, MD (2006) Chicago (2006) Vermont City (Burlington, 2007) Hartford (2007) Boston (2008) Portland, OR (2008)
                      3. Marital status?
                      Married since 1996
                      4. Kids?
                      I have a boy (23) My wife has two girls (27 and 23)
                      anything else interesting...
                      I brew beer -- see http://www.lousbrews.info to see my setup. I guess that's in my signature already, though. I also love to ski -- snow, downhill. Don't get enough of that here in the mid-Atlantic, though.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Found this forum awhile ago (looking for marathon training groups) I've been lurking every so often however now that I'm OFFICALLY into my training for Run for the Red (May 17th) I may as well join. I know there are going to be bumps in the future and I'll need all the motivation I can get which is why I joined. You all seem so very supportive Smile BTW my name is Pam Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Why I started Running: I first started when I was doing BFL and started doing HIIT on the treadmill. My husband convinced me to get out on the roads and I was forever changed after that. Started in May of 2005 and ran my first marathon in Nov of 2005. Running Stats: I've ran 7 marathons Philly in 2005 & 2007 4:40 first one 4:01 second one Steamtown in 2007 & 2008 4:01 first one 3:56 second one Lehigh River in 2007 4:11 I believe New Jersey Marathon in 2008 4:03 Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey 2008 5:07 (pacing good friend for her Marathon debut) I've done 1 Ultra event where I ran 50 miles and i've raced in 1 50 mile ultra 11:15 though you could take a good 10 or so minutes due to starting late Personal Stats: I'm married to a wonderful man (second marriage and have 5 wonderful children 4 boys and 1 girl ages ( 19, 18, 17 and 2 7 year olds) My oldest three are from my first marriage and the twins (boy/girl) are from my current husband and hopefully the one I'll grow old with!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Cashmason

Welcome Pam!
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Why I started Running: I ran some in high school. In college I switched to water polo, but still ran some, and continued it into 20s. Eventually my knees started bugging me, and I figured I should either see a doctor or stop, and I picked the easier option (stop). Two years ago I was intermittently swimming, and a couple colleagues signed up for a local 5K and split their time between actually training, and good-natured trash-talking, and I couldn't miss the opportunity to watch the race, so I ran it with them. And like a reformed drunk wandering back into a bar and having a drink, I was hooked again. Running Stats: I've ran 4 marathons, and am already signed up for two more -- I've found I enjoy them. I'm racing a bunch this year - have done 13 races so far this calendar year (mostly shorter stuff). I'd like to do Flying Monkeys, but last year I decided it was too close to something else (MCM?); maybe this year now that I'm enjoying doing more than one marathon every 6 months, I'll risk it. Personal Stats: I'm married to a woman who hated running, but who got bored of walking and decided to go faster, and somehow found herself running. Then we both started doing road races together two years ago...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hello all  ... I guess I am the new kid.  joined group as have seen other folks on other threads of interest and also was glad to see that Columbus was the Team Marathon.  I hope some are still plan on running as i will be there 10/18, I injured knee there last year and looking for revenge.

Why I started Running:
                                Well I always despised running so that is a good question.  Fall of 2007 was at peak of out of shapness and 38 yrs old.  Decided to finally lose some weight and get in shape.  Oct 07 - Dec 07 lost about 20 lbs and at 200 lbs figured good enough to start running.  Always wanted to compete in local sprint tri-athalon, so plan was to get in shape and this goal of race would keep me focused on weight loss.  1st step was be able to run a 5k, so 1/2/08 was first step out the door and ran first 5k 3/2/08, then 10k May 08, 10 miler Aug 08 ; Well never did the bike or swim thing and guess a runner now ... who would of known? 

Running Stats:
                                I have run a couple dozen races over past 2 years and started to run > 40 MPW and 5-6 days per week.

2 Marathons (1 complete May 09 , 1 DNF with knee injury Oct 08)  -- PR 4:10:08

2 Half Marathons -- PR 1:55:05

2 10 milers -- PR 1:30:00

3 10Ks -- PR 49:35

6 5 milers -- PR 37:09

5 5ks -- PR 22:47

Currently training for Columbus Marathon 10/18 (goal < 3:45) and have 2 halfs, 1 10k , 1 10 miler scheduled over the next few months.

Personal Stats:
                                I'm married (16 years) with 3 kids (13, 10 and 2) and live in NE Ohio.  Work in the IT field as a Business Intelligence consultant.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!