Marathon Trainers

July 2012 (Read 106 times)

evanflein

Hey Cash, good to see you, even if you don't want to start a new thread for July... 

Roll eyes

Been taking it easy the last few days to deal with something that feels like shin splints in my right leg. Not sure if that's what it is or not, because I'd always heard shin splints pretty much hit both legs, but this is just the right leg, and low to the front and outside so not truly my "shin." But, that's what it feels like so that's what I'm calling it. Can't pin what I did to qualify for this treat, either. Oh well.

So... took about a week and a half more or less off, and started running this past Wednesday. Not pain-free, but not too bad and none the worse for wear after. I did take today off though, had so much other stuff to do a run just wasn't happening, but it's all ok. We're having great weather though, not too hot and just enough rain to keep the garden almost happy. Weeded for an hour+ tonight. Hope to run tomorrow.

theyapper

On the road again...

Peeked in some, haven't posted much.  Hope everyone's having a good summer.  Been very hot here.

This has been quite a couple of months for me and my family.  I mentioned in a previous thread that my wife and I were doing Weight Watchers.  She and I (along with our 2 boys) are also doing Insanity (start the last month of those workouts today) and I'm still hitting the road for 3 runs a week.

Bottom line: I've almost dropped 30 pounds and this morning my resting heart rate was 43.  Never been that low before.  The best part?  Got back from a 4+ mile run and felt like I hadn't even gotten started.  Incredible improvement in the foundational parts of my he alt, and I'm more excited than I have been in a long time about building on it.  Fall running holds a lot of potential for me.

Keep at it, everyone!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

**peeks in nervously** 

hi... Big grin

evanflein

Hi Shannon! Glad to have you! Tell us what you're doing and what you're training for! Wow Paul you and your family are doing awesome! I've been struggling a bit this summer, dealing with low shin splints and low mojo. Got a half marathon on Saturday. Went blueberry picking this evening...

Oh Mighty Wing

Hi Miss Erica! It's been a while! How's life? Sorry to hear about the shin splints!

Yapp - that's awesome! Congrats on the weight loss and the resting heart rate. I've heard insanity is awesome! Are you liking it?

I'm not training for anything right now. I'm just building up my base as it's decayed to nonexistent. I've been doing brazilian jiujitsu for the last year and a half and really enjoyed it, but it's not running and training. Also the community and support there is not what I needed to be competitive. So I decided to stop ignoring my running shoes and put them on... so far so slow Smile but i'm happy and that's what matters. I figure I can take is slow and build up through the fall and winter and be ready for the next triathlon season. Who knows maybe i'll even throw a marathon in...

ETA: I'm pretty sure this is going to be a slow road back... I can barely complete 3 miles at a 11:30 pace, and I have chub rub going on so even though it's in the high 80's/90's I've been wearing 3 quarter length spandex bottoms... 

theyapper

On the road again...

Yapp - that's awesome! Congrats on the weight loss and the resting heart rate. I've heard insanity is awesome! Are you liking it?

Thanks, and the answer about Insanity is I like it/hate it.  Love the results, esp how strong I feel from the inside out (if that makes sense), but now that I'm in the last week, my body is tired.  I would not recommend that someone do what i've done - Insanity, running AND weight watchers - because I'm positive that WW has kept me from properly fueling what my body needs for the other 2.  Protein isn't a big part of the diet in WW friendly foods, and yet it's what Insanity recommends for recovery.  I just couldn't bring myself to stop running because I've worked hard to get back to where I am after having a crappy 6 months at the end of 2011 and I had just started hitting a stride when we kicked off Insanity.

Sorry, long answer.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul