Marathon Trainers

Christmas week (Read 258 times)

Kimmie

I don't even want to post what I ran today, but I will: 3 miles on the treadmill at the gym. BUT, It was tempo/intervals- as hard as I could. I had a no show client- an 18 year old girl who is training for Navy ROTC fitness test. So, she isn't there at 9:45 ( appointment was at 9:30) I debate on going outside or running inside, decide on the TM. I just don't know how to do enough layers for below 20. So, i'm running speed... I was going to do tempo, but took a couple of breaks and just kept bumping it up and down- at one point, I was running 9.0! Smile Of course, that was only for 2 or 3 min. but still it felt fast to me. I wondered what I would look like if I fell off the back. Then about 2 miles in, my boss comes over with this girl who is 45 minutes late. Sad She is ready for her training session... so , since she's new and only 18 and very apologetic about oversleeping... I send her to the elliptical to do about 10 min. and cut my workout a little short- Then I proceed to train her while I'm sweaty and smelling like dog. ok, rant over. Bugs, where are you going? I hope it's fun wherever you go- try to think about the good that may be a few days of rest will do your body. Dave, very impressive workout. Where do you usually run? I know it's a drive for me to get to where you are.. but I wouldn't mind checking out some new routes. Murphy, have fun at the Orange Bowl! Brian, let us know when you know... Smile
      didnt run last night Sad DW and I are doing our Christmas tonight, so likely wont get out tonight. Although it did warm up a bit. Maybe I can sneak in a few. Then travelling like crazy for Christmas eve and Christmas day. Things wont get back to normal until after Orange Bowl. But Ill be able to get good running in after Christmas day.And, I will definately run on the beach New Years day in Miami/Ft Lauderdale to start the New Years right.

Oh Mighty Wing

oh sure brag brag brag about the beach! Smile

Dave

That workout doesn't look as good now that I've run the elevation correction stuff on it. Only about 500 ft total climb. Sure felt like more Blush I have a few hilly places near where I live in Woodbridge down and around Lake Ridge Park. I started out with some hill repeats about 70 ft. elevation change (3 of those), then a long decent and some trail stuff with sharp up and downs and a final climb of about 200 feet total. Compared to any mountain run (or anything in Nashville), its probably fairly flat. Good miles though.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

eehh it's pretty flat here too once I run it through the elevation thing, but they feel hilly and so I call them hills. I still think you did well! Smile oh my goodness this day is never going to end. I can't wait to run and yet at the same time I don't really feel like it...
            evanflein

Bugs where are you going? Who ran Peach off? I totally missed what happened there. Jeremy, are you doing any "heat" training? DH was telling me I need to go to the gym that's always overheated and do a few runs. Being able to run long in the cold and snow isn't going to help a Florida marathon much... Have fun, Murphy! Enjoy the warm weather. Anyone coming from any northern-ish state deserves a break. Hi Dave, Shan and Kimmie! Brian, good luck with the new baby! It'd be sort of fun to have him show up before New Year's and you get another tax exemption! Big grin I'm so behind. Just got our tree up, the boys put the lights on it last night. They'll decorate today. I've just gotten a few presents for them, which is about all we'll be doing but I'll get some other stuff today or tomorrow. Soccer balls, iTunes gift cards, that sort of thing. Lean Christmas this year for us. Our forecast for this weekend looks grim... -25 to -35 so I think my poor lil' treadmill will get a workout.

Happy Camper

Hi everyone! Murph: Belated congratulations on running Las Vegas! Enjoy the Orange Bowl. Thought that was where Mizzou was headed last year until the "Shoebirds" stole it from us. Beach running sounds great. I've been catching up on the post reading. Looks like the Disney runners are doing well. I've started vacation and am off until the 2nd. No major trip. Just back in SW Missouri at Family. Forgot the Garmin but was saved by map my run. I hadn't been to the site in a while. It is really improved. I was able to find my inlaws house on the unmarked gravel road and map out a 10-miler and a 10k. Pretty cool. Today's run was a 10-miler in 1:46:15. 31°F and rain. Felt great compared to the cold stuff we had to end last week. Nothing like a few windy morning runs in single digits to make anything above 20°F feel like Spring. I was glad we didn't get all the snow that went through the Northern Plains. Hope to get some more runs in this week. I'm about 45 miles short of goal. I have to run along shoulderless highway here so I can't say how many I'll get in before we head for home on Saturday. I want to run the local 5k on 12/31 so perhaps the cutback will do some good. I ran a 10-miler two weeks ago and finished in 1:25. Not great but not back for me. I ran the same race in 1:21 in 2007 and 1:26 in 2005. Conditions were the best by far this year. Warm temps and wind this year compared to rain, snow and wind the two previous times. Dave: I wouldn't Blush about the 500' change in elevation. My run was 260' this morning and it was enough of a hill workout for me. Hope everyone is enjoying their Holiday time. I'll be able to check in more at least for this week. I'm off to by ingrediants for a standing rib roast I have the honor of preparing this year. Erika: Would a syrah be a good choice for a roast? I'm a newbie at choosing wine. Suggestions anyone?

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dave

Since you opened it up to suggestions. A Syrah (Shiraz) goes really well with a roast. Might also consider a Cabernet Sauvignon if you want something a little more dry. Those are usually a bit heavier and oakier than the Shiraz which is an easier wine to drink separately.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Dave said exactly what I was going to say, but a nice Syrah (aka shiraz if australian) is hard to beat. Just don't get a "cheapy" fruit bomb cuz it'll taste like concord grape juice. Some of the Merlot out of Napa and Sonoma these days is very nice....

Oh Mighty Wing

4 miles. I need to learn to not let emotion affect my runs.

Happy Camper

Syrah wins! I am in SW Missouri after all. We settled for Smoking Loon 2006. A great value I'm told. Standing Rib Roast will be seasoned with salt, pepper, roasted garlic, rosemary, thyme, etc. I will not be able to run enough to lose the calories on this one. Christmas Eve it's cashew chicken Springfield, MO style. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Springfield-Style-Cashew-Chicken-I/Detail.aspx This is very close but MIL makes it her way which can't be beat. Thanks for the wine advice! Anyone else have any food traditions? Inertia: I need to know how your cheesecake turned out from your posts at the other place. I am going to try my hand at it next week.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Hail to The Victors!

Jeremy, are you doing any "heat" training? DH was telling me I need to go to the gym that's always overheated and do a few runs. Being able to run long in the cold and snow isn't going to help a Florida marathon much... .
                          I'm just doing indoor training occasionally. My wife seems to think that the long distance forecast for the race right now is a low of 45ish, and a high of 75 for that day. Considering that the race is at 6am, I suspect that most of the race will be very comfortable, if that's the case (45-55F). When we were there in January 05, it was about 50F at 6am and 80F by noonish, and I think that's about as warm as it can get for the race that time of year, so I'm not particularly worried.

Bugs

Dave, Sure you post the miles on the week of my worst miles. Thanks Dude! Kimmie, Going to northern ND. I'll get out and try. The forecast is looking a little warmer -10 to 10 for the week. It'll be good for me. You and Erika both are bumping up the miles nicely. Took a long nap in the car. Really clear how important the sleep and diet are to running/feeling good. Been burning the candle at both ends. DH and I agreed no more. Going to get me back on a running schedule (no more running right before bed) and get the kids in bed on time. Got a feeling my running is going to improve and my house is going to be a mess. I tried to do both, hurts my feet.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I think it's a learning experience - one you will benefit from! Now rest those feet!
                              Kimmie

I'm with you Bugs. I'm tired today and all I ran was 3 miles... but I worked at the gym AND baked dozens of cookies and brownies AND went to the library AND wrapped presents, I could go on and on but I won't. Yay Disney people... it's on my to-do list. My sister lives less than 15 minutes from Disney and I grew up 2 1/2 hours south of there. A good friend of mine from high school will be running her 2nd disney Marathon this year. I wish I could fly down and pace her.