Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/29/2010 (Read 238 times)

Hmm, I'm no expert, either, Pam or Kim.  I think whatever gives you confidence will be fine.  Hills will give you some stress, but you're still two weeks out and you are both pretty young Smile.  I do a three week taper myself, though, being an old guy.

Yesterday was 7 miles @ 8:06 pace, including 8x20s striders.  Today I plan 8 and will probably modify this post before the lot of you wake up Smile

MTA: 8.2 miles, 1:06:04, 8:02/mi, AHR 156 (76% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Well,   I've had some issues with my right calf again.  I think I may tentatively plan for a last long run on the flat and if it's bothering me, then cut it short.  I think the half did give me an idea of MP but it was such a crazy start, that I wasn't sure if I could have run it a bit faster.  Also, I don't run long runs too fast, I don't think, but I was starting to wonder if it was possible to run them too slow.  Smile    I think it's hard to know what will work best, even after running this many marathons.  There always seem to  be so many mitigating circumstances.   For example, Myrtle Beach was a good race for me, and my last long run before that was 4 weeks out or something... I hardly trained at all from being sick.   So, what does that mean?  I need to stop running now?   Or did I just get lucky that day and benefit from the flat course?

Good run with my group last night... headed to a friend's River house for a few days and will run some down there.

Nice to see you running strong again, Lou!  Smile

theyapper

On the road again...

Kim - for most, tapering means running less headed to the race.  For you it includes puking.  Sounds like that formula really paid off for you at Myrtle Beach. 

I got 4.5 in today.  Put me just over 100 miles for the month.  That's the first time over the 100 mark since last October.  'Bout time.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

I don't know when you guys are planning on running Boston, but it's on my calendar for April 19... and the day you guys were saying "two weeks out" was yesterday, which was actually pretty much THREE weeks out. That being the case, I'm planning on running my helacious hilly long run this Sunday, hoping for 22 miles but I'll take anything over 20, with the first 1/3 mostly downhill, the middle 1/3 flat or little bumps, and the last 1/3 being pretty bad-ass hilly. That'll give me a 2 week taper of which I take pretty seriously... lots of easy runs with striders, maybe a short tempo or two but not much for hills (that work is in the barn) and a couple of rest days leading into the race. That'll give my legs and feet time to recover and get ready for pounding the streets of Beantown.

While my best race was Boston 2008 and had a classic 3 week taper, my second best was last fall's RVM, and I ran an ultra 3 weeks before that. I've had good luck with the 2 week tapers before, and based on my screwed up schedule, it's what I'll have again. Let's see what happens.

I'm planning on running home from work tonight, so that'll be about 10 miles or so. Just need someone to come take my car home as I don't want to have to come back and get it! (I guess I could run half way home, turn around and come back for it...)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

First workout of the year. Ugh. Crystal did 4x1200 at 5K pace yesterday. I squeaked out 3x1200 at 5K- pace today. Ugh. Think I'd rather go long than do any more of these "workout" things.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

6.3 miles today with 2 at tempo pace (7:59, 7:47).  Overall pace was 8:32. 

Wanted to shake off the cobwebs and see what kind of shape that I'm in.  Turns out not too good.

MTA:  Army Ten Miler is open for registrations.  As of 3:30PM, there were 22,000 registered with only 8,000 spaces remaining.  I'm putting together a team from my organization at work and may have some slots avaliable that I could hold out for late Team Blister attendees.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Been doing a lot of walking and stroller pushing. Not so much running. But have been staying active at least.  Good luck to all those doing Boston--Im so jealous. Guess if Id work really really hard like you guys..

Shameless baby picture of the week...

evanflein

In all her Easter finery! What a cutie! Thanks, Murphy... I needed that.

11.2 miles last night, on lots of rolling hills, ended up with 8:15 avg pace. No wonder my legs felt tired.

5.7 today at lunch.... thought I'd try easy on the flat, but ended up heading back on the hills again. Why do I do that? 8:20 average, so much for easy. Tomorrow is a non-running day, then big weekend to cap off the hard training. Looking forward to taper.

I updated the race calendar, put all my silly series races in there. What else are you guys planning? They don't have to be just marathons, you know. Racing shorter distances is an important part of marathon conditioning and testing where you are for race pace!

Cute picture, Murph!

3 recovery miles for me.

Races, hmmm -- need to think about that...

she's such a cutie Paul! Thanks for sharing!!

Nice running Erika!

Hey Dave nice to see you running Smile

4 easy miles with dh tonight. Hopefully he can continue running! I miss running with him. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Cute photo, I concur. I'm racing 5K this Saturday. I was sad b/c I ran tonight, and got tired, and then remembered it's Thursday, but I didn't bring a banana. Then i found one from yesterday or day before that I forgot to eat, still here -- so I can stop off at ice cream place and get a banana split (they're half-price on Thursday if you bring your own banana). Happy Day!!!!

So glad the banana thing worked out.  There was a story on NPR the other day about a guy trying to sell his banana memorabilia collection.  I guess he had a museum but the landlord was kicking him out for some reason.

4 recovery paced miles with 6 striders thrown in. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey Perry - think you could get that ice cream shop to open a branch down here?  I've got plenty of bananas...

An absolutely great run this morning.  It wasn't long - just a tick over 3 miles - but I ran it without looking at the Garmin and tried to run easy but yet faster than I normally do.  Ended up averaging 9:15 or so for the run, but had a nice (mostly downhill) fast last mile at 8:42.  And...(wait for it)...

I was wearing my new shoes that until now have been a pain.  Maybe I'll keep them.

It's summer here with highs the next week in the upper 80s.  But next Mon-Wed I'll be in Savannah with my wife (although she doesn't know it yet - it's an anniversary surprise).  Anyone been there and have recommendations?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I know nothing of Savannah. But at least Lou restored my faith, in that there is someone out there even weirder than a runner.

Hail to The Victors!

Yesterday was the second to last speed workout before Boston for me.  Have one more next week.  Not that yesterday wasn't a huge ball of fail anyway, still a little fatigued from the half on Saturday, amongst other things.  So, one more week to redeem myself before really starting to taper. 

Doing 20 tomorrow.  I usually do my last twenty three weeks beforehand, but since I really don't care about a time for Boston, I thought I'd try some different things and see how they worked.  Hard to think that we're coming up on 2 1/2 weeks. 

Who's up for meeting in Boston on say Saturday (maybe Sunday) for lunchdinner, or is everyone coming on Sunday?