Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/28-2/4 (Read 367 times)

Happy Camper

ShanHas: You can do it if a finish is your goal. Let the 1/2 be a test marathon pace run. Get your long-runs in the 16-18 mile range even if walking is required. Shoot for a couple of 40-mile peak weeks. Least training I had was in 1998. I was still smoking. Hit the 1/2 mark in just under 2:17 and finished in 5:44. Sixteen minutes from a DQ. You can do it as a run-walk. Your pace will be faster than if you run as long as you can and then are forced to walk. I know from experience that few things bring you down like having everyone pass you when you can not even walk a 20 minute mile. I finished 98th out of 100 that year. Bugs: Bites that people quit or worse, workout, post elsewhere on the site but don't post on the VRAA because they don't have "time". Anyway, VRAA is for you more than the team. I like the motivation of the pretend competition. I also like seeing the really insane stuff the IM and Ultra folks post. To me it's more interesting than all the points claimed from stretching and paddle ball.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

ok so what i'm hearing is give it a try just don't be under the misconception that it will be pretty. What I think I want to try is giving it a try, not register or anything, but jump in and see how it goes. I don't know what i can handle untill i try and let's face it my try is not really trying. I think training for it and then not registering and opting for a different one that requires a weekend away is better than not trying because of fear of failure. As always, thank you all for your input I really do rely on you guys as my running guru's! bugs - what's DINK? I know you guys are going to think i'm nuts. But i'm not worried about physically being able to do this... I'm worried about the mental games I will have to play with myself on long runs when my brain starts lying to me!

Bugs

Cash, When you crank up the tension on that spin bike it kills my legs too. I'd say I kept it between at 3&4, so not so hard, but long. pace2race, but do you, Cash, Erika, or myself really need motivation? I should make an upper body goal along with VRAA. # of pushups I can do or something. I like that better than just time logged. ShanGen, Double InCome No Kids. I have read walking a bit really can make a big difference. It depends what you want out of the experiance. Remember you only get one first marathon.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

oooohhhhhh I got it!! You are correct. There is on 4 hours from here in July if I end up not being ready for this one. But i really want to try it. I'm gonna jump in (yes, I know, probably stupid) and see how I feel. It is definitely a big jump in mileage, but i'm not sure it will cause i problems I fear because I do really feel like i could run every day. I just let myself slack because i can... But I always have more to give and I contemplate a run every day even on rest days, so I don't see why I can't do more as long as I leave rest days as sacred... really guys I think I can do this... and who knows what the experience will bring until I get there!! (I feel like a kid with a new bike or something!)
            I struggled to build my miles until I got on a training plan. Something about the numbers on the page taunting you is enough to get me out the door. Now I look forward to the next run and almost curse the rest days. Before I only got upto 4 days/week about every other week, now 5 days feels like a breeze. I think my legs actually like having fewer off days. Odd, but seems to be working. I'm working on my first marathon as well (May 5th), so we'll have to swap notes as we go!
              As the king of running marathons underprepared-errr...overtapered.. I will say that you can definately complete a marathon. And for your first one that may be enough. And really, its a helluva accomplishment no matter how long it takes to cross the line. I kinda re-realized that after watching Spirit. Made me appreciate that Ive been able to complete 6 within 21 months of not being able to run a full mile. But, at the same time it made me pissed at myself that the training for at least half of those were half-assed. I say, go for it Shan--given your other plans--wait to register until after the half though. Struggling through your first--like most of us mortals do anyhow may really push you to say "Hey--wonderhow much better I can do if I push myself for the next one--and so on". Long couple days drove to North Carolina for a meeting this morning, and got back this evening. Ran my 3 miles tonight--decided Id do some speedwork. Went out blazing for the first couple miles and slowed for the third as I didnt want to be wasted for my 7 miler tomorrow.

Dave

Shan, FWIW, we're not DINK's we're SITKOMs (Single Income Two Kids Oppressive Mortgage) Big grin I think you can do it but as mentioned, you'll need to get your mileage up between now and May. As for listening to my body, the last time I mentioned that at work to some colleagues, they asked if my body sounded like a little girl Tongue Guess that's what you get when you work with fighter pilots (I'm certainly not one). Murph, I think I'm a worthy challenger for your "overtapered" marathon King. Its a dubious honor but I'm willing to throw my hat in the ring. Check out my mileage before the USMC last fall. Ugh.. Another rest day for me today. Not scheduled. Just didn't run. By posting I'll have to run tomorrow or face ridicule with this crowd. Not that anyone ridicules me, just that it gives me something to threaten myself with, however lame.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

About the Spirit Movie, I'd just like to mention that the new runner who ran it with low mileage (1 20) was crying mid-way. If you read marathon race reports, it's tough on people when it doesn't go well. But adding miles, with being prepared to switch to a July marathon is not a bad plan. Dgb, SITKOMs That's funny. Do we all get titles? I would be: Race Your Long Runs Queen. You better run tomorrow, sometime you owe me a virtual race, and I'm going to be smoking fast so you better get practicing, else your body will say, "You got beat by a girl" Smile Oh I need to drop a couple of pounds. I know now is the best time to do it but I hate not eating.

Bugs

Cashmason

I am back up to 185 pounds Bugs. If you are gonna race me, you gotta wear a 55 pound back pack.
                    evanflein

Dave, get your butt out the door and run some miles! Grrr! Slackers, sheez, drive me nuts! ( heheh... Big grin ) I can be one myself, but honestly, once you're out there you'll wonder why you delayed. ShanHas... get a training program (I bet one of the Higdon plans would work well for you, Novice II or Int. I), count back from your marathon and start there. You've got a good enuf base to do that, and it'll give you some extra motivation to get your runs in. And for heavens' sake, do NOT bandit your run!!! I get so annoyed with people who do that... Register, pay your fee, and run your race according to your plan. Whether that be as a training run, or an all out race... whatever. Set a plan and stick to it. But do not just hop in without registering!! Bugs, P2R and I are on the same VRAA team... with Willa. She's doing the milles, but no where near what Bryan does. Or Jessee, from the Masters' forum. P2R and JJJessee are both absolutely awesome! I'm just a "mid-packer" compared to these guys!! Cash, I bet you're cute with a couple extra... heheheh... Grrrr! I hate it when DH says that! which is what he's been saying to me since August. I'm down 2 lbs since before I left for Carlsbad, and although this has been a big "eatin'" day, I hope to continue that trend. I'd love to be down to 137 or so for the Ragnar Relay... (that's 6 lbs to go...). Cross training day for me today, 30 minutes on the stationary bike, 30 minutes (2 miles) on the treadmill walking... Needed a break from running. After Boston, I might take a week off and do absolutely nothing. I say that now... and I'd probably last about two days.

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - hop in?? oh my goodness NO. I just meant I would wait till after the half to register. I would never just hop in! I ended up going with Int. 1, and added 2 weeks somewhere because i had them to add when I started with where I fit in. A whole week might be nice! Maybe make it a cross training week, since you probably won't be able to be a true couch potato for that long. Bugs - I'm still going with you don't need to lose any weight! Eating is always a better option than not! Tongue Dave - as soon as you said I told my co-workers I knew what was coming!! And you are not allowed to replace me as unplanned rest day dictator (it was non-gendered. was going to say queen, but well you know the issues with that!). Husker - oh yeah!! we will have to trade notes! You people with all your acronyms... I can't keep up!! Smile Well this morning i'm still excited about giving it a try although feeling a little more apprehensive then yesterday. Bugs - thinking about the spirit movie. The cryer also went in with 2 bad knees. She had full braces on both of them. The other thing that makes me nervous about a july mary is that even upper pa gets SUPER hot in July. and it's out in farm land. I did a 5k like that last year and seriously wanted to hurt myself it was so awful. Full sun, no breeze, it sucked. I'm not not listening to what you are saying, I just think I want to at least try training for it a couple weeks. Who knows in 1 week I might realize it's unrealistic. I just don't want to say I wussed out of giving training a shot. Can young naivety play a part here? Remember, I am 24 (25 on may 20th) so I really thing I should get to attack this with the stupidity of youth! Big grin
                        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I am back up to 185 pounds Bugs. If you are gonna race me, you gotta wear a 55 pound back pack.
                          And if you want to race me, you'll have to carry bugs on your shoulders. 9 windy miles this morning. It's 35 and I ran in shorts. Was slated for a rest day today, but tomorrow's 10 would have been 13 degrees and 15-20 MPH winds. I actually think it's ok to run your first marathon a bit underprepared, particularly if you've developed a love for running. Going into it with almost enough preparation will give you a deeper appreciation for the benefits of running one well prepared. I was a bit under ready for mine and it was butt ugly. that experience gave me a deep appreciation for how important preparation really is. I'm not saying go out and run one with no training, but I will say that if you're a bit behind the gun, it's ok to go forward. Expect it to hurt, expect it to take a really really long time to cross the finish line. Expect to look back at your experience and say "Wow, that really sucked; I'm glad I did it! I betcha if I prepare well for my next one, I'll be kinda fast and it won't suck nearly so bad!" At least that was my experience. Please, don't take this as encouragement to do stuff you're not ready for. Of course preparing well for your first and really knocking it out of the park would be an ubre spiffy experience so I'd reccommend that first and foremost.
                            Shan, if you are talking a July marathon--yYou can still pick up at week 1 on one of the 18 week programs. I did this with almost no base for my first marathon. Just ran a few times a week-4 miles a shot for a few weeks before. You are definately in better condition than I was when I started my first training program. There is NO reason not to give it a shot. Id recommend the Hal Higdon beginning program--the mileage never really feels intimidating week after week with that. He really eases into it. DGB. I probably ran 20 miles total in the month before Columbus, and maybe 6 miles the month before Vegas this year. I dont recommend that method of training. And will never run a marathon unprepared again.

Oh Mighty Wing

Well I decided I need to at least try to train for the May one. If I don't I will feel like a big wus. I'm not saying i will make the starting line. I'm just saying I have to try. You guys know me by now... if it's too much i'm not really going to push myself. But I think I can do it and right now i have to believe that or else i won't even give it a go and there is no real reason not to try it. I fit right into the Hal programs with the weeks I need to get to May. (despite not running all the days he plans i am not far off of weekly mileage for the beginner programs) So on a different and yet not note. Ran 5 today in a pretty speedy pace i must say, although that was not the goal. Anywho, it's my second day in a row of running and my second day at 5. Felt good, definately like I was working hard, but not sore and not worn out. So YEAH! And seriously has anyone every told you guys that you are all awesome!! Big grin

Happy Camper

Wow. Glad I ran this morning! 54°F and I ran in shorts and short sleeves. Reached 65° by noon. It is 15°'s now and blowing. Tomorrow will be fun! 13.5 miles at recovery pace. ShanHas: Great running.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.