Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/28-2/4 (Read 367 times)

Happy Camper

Very short Race Report because it was only a 5k. Course was 3 Loops sending you up and down the same hill all three times. Weather was much better this year than last with the Temperature around 30°F at gun time. Did 3.5 miles as a warmup before the start. Race splits were 7:11, Yes 7:49, Angry 7:41 Undecided and 1:09 for a total of 23:51. Well off of my New Years Eve time of 22:53 but this is a very different course. It would have been one to get excited about if I could have hit it around 23 because there are faster courses and warmer weather later this Spring. Last year this one took me 26:07 to complete in 8°F. I am very happy to be 174lbs this year instead of the 194 I was last year for this run. Lost 8lbs in January and hope to lose more before April. Next 5k will be in March. I'm looking at doing a 1/2 in Mid March but won't decide until later. I don't want to race too much before St. Louis.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Groov--Good to hear from you. And glad yousurvives the ordeal. Cant imagine running in those temps. Shan--get the shoes--Im excited Ive ordered mine and wll have them next week. Mine should have been retired a couple huindred miles ago. I keep switching to diffeent old pairs. Pace--souds like you had a good race--hey you beat last years time!! Great job on the weight loss. I also dropped 8 lbs in January. And 2 in the past couple days--but that could fluctuate back up. Need to lose another 8 to get back to my 2006 low. (180). Would be happy to be at that weight by the Flying Pig in May--but really want to be 170-175. GREAT tempo run this morning. 7 miles at 10:15 pace--that includes the big ass hill that I half walk up. Also walked/ran with the DW 4 miles this evening (17 minute pace). Should I log htis as a run or x-training? Dont want to cheat on my mileage--just not sure how to categorize these. And as she gets motivated I want to go on more of these side runs/walks with her. She may do the half marathon in May and wants to definately do Vegas. 13 mile long run tomorrow--will have a TP for 8 of those. Will hit the 40s again tomorrow..so should be a good one.

Oh Mighty Wing

groov - holy cow that's cold!! glad you still got out there! I don't think you're crazy I think you are dedicated! pace - nice job!! Murphy - nice job on the run! and why not count it as an easy run?? 12 miles in the bank today. It was on a hilly course and it was rough. Then i spent 2 hours in the car (a mere 45 minutes after the run). Had lunch with my grandmom and then i spent 2 hours coming home. As you might imagine i'm a little sore. No pain at all but my hips are definitely a sore. I took a little advil for the ride home because it was not comfortable at all!!
        Cashmason

Pace very nice race given the course. Nice job on the weight loss. Erika, I got to meet Voodoo Junkie today for lunch and Liam from Ireland. Probably around 15 kicksters at lunch today. Way fun. Liam wrote the original C25k Program and threatened to sue active for charging for his plan. I think the dropped the charges for his plan.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Groove – That’s hardcore. I’m impressed. Actually, impressed falls short. That’s REALLY impressive. I’ve become such a weather wimp and am in awe. Murphy – tempo runs are demanding but are very rewarding. Good job on yours. If you ran, log it as a run. Enjoy the nice weather tomorrow on your long run. Pace – nice job on the 5k. It’s pretty sweet to be that much lighter than last year. Today was 28, but there were ice patches all over the place, many were not readily visible so I, you guessed it, ran on the TM this morning. Had TP for a good chunk of it - I ran 13, she ran 10 (Hah! I felt pretty studly as she's a much better runner than I and I outlasted her). Hoping for good weather on Monday, it's my first tempo run of the 18 week schedule and I'm really looking forward to it. Good runs to all. Tomorrow's a rest day (and my mom's birthday). I'll drop in if I have time, but would be surprised if I did.
            Cashmason

Yay for rain. I have never run in rain except for 5 minutes of a light sprinkle during a marathon. Tomorrow due for heavy rain and 40 mile per hour winds. Rain to start 45 minutes before race time and last 12 hours. Due for 1 inch of rain. Maybe not much for most of you, but that is half of what we got all last year. 6 months of rain in one day.

Oh Mighty Wing

good luck cash!! enjoy the rain! mr.i nice job on the tm and beating tp!! lower bback is a littli sore but ii ffeel fine everywhere else! we'll see how it goes as the day progresses Tongue
                  Wow, after reading about everyone else's weekend, mine seems a bit weak. It was mid 50s yesterday and I ran 10. It's a cut-back in my long runs, which was a bit needed. But, it was one of those days where running felt horrible, so I ran a few faster miles to snap me out of it. I guess it worked. Supposed to be close to 60 today and I've got 4 recovery miles scheduled. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
                    12 mile long run this morning. Decent run. Paced to quick at first and struggled for the last 2 miles. Ended about the pace that I wanted, but the splits werent consistant. SOmehow the pounds have been dripping off since the first. Before the run today, Im down 4 pounds for the month. Expect to put a couple back on in short order as I refuel. I am very tired and in need of a nap.
                    evanflein

Cash, you lucky dog. I'd love to meet Liam (and Voodoo!). Wish I'd known and you could've given him a hug for me (now that I'd like to see!). Sounds like a great group. I love those get togethers. Rain? Wow, you tough dude you. Way to test the commitment factor, eh? Heh. Wink ShanHas, good job on your run. And it's normal to be a little sore when you're testing your limits. Be careful to watch for pain, which is different from "sore" and indicates pushing a little too far. Sounds like you did good though. Murphy, way to go on the run with the hill. I've got a few of those too, and my times always plummet when I have to go up (going down is a nice boost, though!). P2R, nice race. Don't know how you can have weight to lose with the miles you run. But then, I guess I gain weight at my peak mileage, so never mind. It is possible. Problem with running is it turns your appetite into a veritable machine... "FEED ME!!!" is what I hear a lot... Good job on the race, miles and weight loss. A tough combination, for sure. MrI, nice "HM" on a training run. Way to outlast the TP... and Happy Birthday to your mom! Groove, you have been dealing with similar crap to what I have. My car has been having problems for sometime, and died last Tuesday when the water pump went out, alternator, the whole thing. Konk. So, I've been carless for most of the week and the temps have been cold. It was -6 for my run yesterday and that was soooo nice. Not so nice now... -25 out there now downtown. I'm up in the hills and it's "only" about -20 (I'm hoping -18...). I have 16 on the schedule today, and still figuring out what to do about it... Hi Bugs! Hey, anyone ever hear from Salathe? What about Beaumont? SPDmotorbabe? Miss all those guys...
                      Cashmason

Short report. 13.1 miles . 2 hours 1 minute 49 seconds. Pr by 2 minutes. Missed goal of 2 hours. 52 degrees. Steady rain 13 mile winds with 17 mile gusts. Running the rain is not so bad. waiting 20 minutes in the rain waiting for the race to start sux azz. We got there an hour and half early. Waited in the car until 20 minutes before race time. Walked to start line. Listened to the announcer make speach. Never heart the National Anthem. All the walkers ignored the corrals because they didnt want to wait 20 minutes in the rain after the gun to start the race. Dodged walkers first couple of miles.
                        Cashmason

Erika, I reminded Voodoo of when he used to post in this thread a couple of years ago. He remembered some of us. His beard and hair has a lot more grey than in his pictures, and he is not in the same shape he used to be when he ran in the caveman outfit. Think those photos must have been a few years old by the time he posted them. Nice guy, but been knocked out a few too many times in his boxing career. Liam is fun and interesting. He was hoping for a BQ today, but with the rain and not enough training miles this training cycle, he thinks he will miss it by a few minutes. I really enjoyed talking to both of them, and the rest of the gang from the old Club House.

Oh Mighty Wing

cash - great job!! even if you missed your goal you still did really well considering these are conditions you are not use to! Erica - 16 is a long way to go on a TM, but probably even longer if you can't get warm during a run. I made sure to walk some of the hills when I felt it was taking too much out of me. And we prepared to stop at 10 if I was feeling too bad. But I felt pretty good so we finished it up. After getting up and moving around today I feel great with lots of energy. Thanks for looking out for me!! Husker - you's are not weak!! You did what you were supposed to... trying to keep up with these guys before your body is ready will only get you hurt! So you keep doing what you need to do and join the ranks healthy!!
                            Travis Groom

Congrats on the PR Cash! Nice work. 16k run today that somehow turned into 18k in 2 hours. Nice, light pace. It warmed up to -22º today, so it was weird dressing, and I ended up over-dressing. Evan, cars suck! Stupid hunks of metal that we rely on. Glad someone else is feeling the cold. Don't you love it when you get those looks from people like you are crazy. Determination!
                              evanflein

Groov, the weird looks I got today were from the folks at the coffee shop when I went in there to wait for DH... I'd run as far as I could in those temps (-18F at the top of the hill, -23F by mile 7) and actually got to his office by mile 11... I ran back and forth along the half mile strip of road fronting his office till I got to 13.2, then scrambled over the overpass and called him from the coffee shop. He showed up at about 1:20 or so, and I took the truck home, quickly changed and knocked out another 4.8 miles on the treadmill (I did these at more or less MP, 8.49 the first two, last 2.8 miles at 8:34 m/m). So, 18 miles in all, when plan was for 16. I felt like I needed to add a couple due to the long break (about 50 mins) between the stop in my outdoor run and the start of my indoor run. Don't ask me why, just felt the need. So... been eating cheese, crackers, wonderful seedy bread and popcorn and drinking wine... yum. I could just go to bed now... but DH and DS2 will be home in about half hour and dinner is in order. *sigh* Tomorrow is a cross training day according to my schedule, but may make it EZ or a rest day. Nice race, Cash. You'll get that 2 hour thing knocked down real soon.