Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/16/2010 (Read 174 times)

evanflein

Knock, Knock, Knock... anyone home? Helloooo! Where's Pam, Bugs and Kimmie? 

I'm all alone in here, playin' with the guys. Oh. Wait. Never mind. It's ok!

9.3 hilly trail miles tonight, average pace 8:30 but what was most important was the steady pace on some of those hilly, wood-chip-strewn trails. I did stop to catch my breath on a couple of the hilly spots, but not bad, and kept going where I had to stop a couple weeks ago... so that's progress. Need to get out on the mid-point of the course though and tackle THAT hill. Tonight was actually pretty cool, temps about 59 and breezy. I actually got chilled by the time I got home, white finger tips and everything. It's been months since THAT's happened. Wow... summer seems gone already. 

All I hear are crickets, Erika.

Would have posted this morning, but was having trouble with RA -- anyone else getting "unknown error" messages?

This morning's planned 13 turned into 3 recovery, last night when I set the alarm clock.  We got in late from a company function, and I couldn't even think of getting up that early.  Maybe I'll do that tomorrow morning.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hello.

Not a lot to report on the running front. I need to up my miles in a big way.

Biggest Loser Update

Had a rough couple weeks. Stayed even 2 weeks ago at 12% weight loss. Gained a pound last week.  Slipped to 4th place. Figured I would throw in the towel and just be happy with where Im at. Got on the scale for the first time this morning, and was 170 lbs even (14%). Ran today, and weighed myself at the gym in the same basic clothes I will be weighing myself in with tomorrow and am at 169 (14.4%). So, my current weight is about 2 lbs ahead of where 2nd place was last week and 3 lbs behind 1st. Id probably need to lose 6 lbs of water weight between now and after my lunchtime run tomorrow for a shot at 1st. Probably need to lose 2-3 more for 2nd. At this point, its all about the money,  But 167.4 would be 30 lbs dropped over 12 weeks.

Dave

I was hoping I'd actually have some running to post about.  Considering an "offsite appointment" this afternoon to get a run in. 

With the showers in my building shut down for construction, it's been tough to get too many miles in this week.

MTA:  Holy smokes Murphy.  At 167 I'm 10 pounds heavier than you.  That is fantastic weight loss.  If you get your miles up, you'll really fly.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Woohoo Murphy! That's awesome. And don't worry about those pounds you lost. I found a couple of them and am taking real good care of them.
              I'll find a few of them quick enough. My favorite local sandwich shop reopened about the time the contest started. Looking forward to a reuben and fries.

Hawt and sexy

Hi. I am still alive. I have just been really busy dealing with some major changes/challenges in my life. I am still running and I may even update my log someday. Smile

I'm touching your pants.

Cashmason

Congrats Murph!   Good luck on tomorrow's weigh in.
                    good job, murphy!  hi, willamona!

MTA (post run):

Happy birthday, NJ!!!  (our grandson is 1 today)

Very happy with today's run -- a real confidence booster: After the first 3 miles, the rest of the run felt great.  In the last 5-8 miles, realized that I have been running with my stride "tight".  I relaxed and loosened it up, which I think gave me a longer stride length with less relative effort.  Dew point 64°, rel humidity 96%.

I also had a good kick for the last 1/4-1/2 mile, I guess.

13.2 miles, 1:55:05, 8:44/mi, AHR 150 (73% MHR)

5@9:04(141), 3@8:53(145), 5@8:21(159), 0.19@6:51(168)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

That is a great run, Lou.  Nice kick at the end, too.

Hope life doesn't seem too overwhelming for you, Amanda.

30 pounds in 12 weeks???  You can't see me, but I'm actually bowing in front of my computer screen.

Was supposed to do 5 early, but we had a huge storm last night - no power for about 8 hours - and I just couldn't get up.  I'll go run in a bit.

BTW: Lou, I can't seem to upload runs to RA anymore with Safari.  It hangs and freezes when it says 100%.  No problems with Firefox, though.  Don't know what's changed. 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

down to 167.8 on the home scale this morning. I think I'll be a bit lighter on the official scale, and Im going to get a run in the 90 degree plus heat prior to weighing in. Im optimistic about a 2nd place finish, and if the leader somehow slipped up (I doubt it) I could get lucky. I may get to where she was last week, but am fairly certain she will lose weight this week. I am hungry.

Dave

Paul,  I'll try to upload mine tonight.  I haven't uploaded since the big site upgrade last week.  Unfortunately, it messed up posting with my iPad too.

Fantastic run, Lou.  Nice that you had the legs left for that sprint at the end. 

I forced myself out the door for 4 last night late (10PM).  It was dark so I just ran easy and then glanced occasionally at my HR with the little light on the Garmin.  Didn't push too hard but finished it under 9 mm's.  It's strange, I still have very little endurance because of the low miles but the speedwork seems to have helped me run a little faster at an easier effort.

We had tornado warnings and watched a wicked storm pass just north of us.  Didn't even get any rain, unfortunately.  65,000 people without power in the area though.  From the news this morning, it said more than 6.5 inches of rain in Albemarle, NC (close to you, Paul?) so that must've been some storm.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Finished 3rd, something like 33 lbs down. I dont feel as bad for me as I do the lady in 2nd..

The guy that was in third lost 13 lbs this week. And he stripped down to nothing but his shorts to weigh in. He beat her by less than a lb. I hope they overturn that and give the 1st place to the lady. She was losing 1-1/2 percent just about every single week. and didnt seem to be doing anything crazy.  If the dude hadnt stripped down I would have been real close to 2nd, but dont think I would have finished ahead of him.

Ive eaten a lot since weigh in. Looking forward to eating decent calories and carbs for long runs now. I think I heard that the Air Force full and half marathons sold out.. Im dissapointed, but think theres a 20 miler in Columbus that week that Ive run before. So I will plan on that instead.

Dave

Come up for Brooksie Way in October, Murphy.  Bring the family, place to stay, ....

dgb2n@yahoo.com

hmm. I may do that. I'll run it by the dw. Thats 2 weeks before Columbus and would be a nice last  training run. Thanks for the offer.