Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/7/2011 (Read 193 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Only sending two is silly. What if one gets sick and one has a bad day (or injury)?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

11.2 miles, 1:35:51, 8:34/mi, AHR 145 (71% MHR)

5@9:12(136), 1@8:46(141), 5.18@7:55(155)

Interesting that my AHR was 10 bpm down from this last Friday's run on the same 11 mile course, and surprisingly the same average pace.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Love the late winter /  early spring time of year.  Second day of decent running for me.  I'm having a good training cycle this time.  I start racing again this weekend.  Hope the good mileage continues. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

I like the way you think!  However, Miss 1 ended up winning the entire race, not just her qualifying race but the corporate challenge itself.  I need to look her name up in local races to see what time she gets over a marathon distance, but it's going to be impressive.

I'm not entirely sure why they only send two, there were so many walkers in the race.  I assume that each company is able to have x number of competitors, and it's split over many many activities, not just running.  Maybe they think statistically that they'll get more points by having additional people in other events, not sure.

I'm really cautious about trying to run my fastest 5k today, when not in a race, without the excitement, adrenalin, and other runners to push me to go faster.  Clearly I haven't tried a race pace outside of a race before. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think I am able to run faster with competition or company. I only ran one really fast time trial that I remember last year, and it was on a track chasing a friend - she was doing a 3mi time trial, and I just added half a lap at the end to make it a 5K time trial for myself, and came in 10sec off my PR.

evanflein

Hey you guys. Good to see Gen and Dutchie still here and doing well, goofy dreams notwithstanding. Anybody hear from Bugs lately??

Hi Kimmie! You will pull it off for National. You always do.

So Paul is tapering? Hold on, get ready for the river of self-doubt and intrepidation! Smile  Seriously, I'm sure you'll do fine. You've had some really good runs this training cycle, it's been fun to watch.

Perry, watch that soreness. Didn't you run intervals since Friday? I've just been lurking, so might have the wrong week.

I see Lou as a metronome kind of runner, too. Interesting on the heart rate, but I think any number of things can affect that from one day to the next. My resting HR is pretty low (low 50/high 40's), but my "running" HR is up there in the mid-170's most days.

I've never run a time trial kind of thing, really. Just some hoped-for-race-pace repeats of some distance or other. Most of my speed work is done on the treadmill since it's hard to find something 1) flat, 2) ice free, 3) car-free around here, even in the summer (well, the ice not so much). I always think I should go to one of the high school tracks for some intervals or something, but I never seem to get there. Oh well.

I've been running even though not posting here. I guess you could tell that from the summary posted on Monday. Backed off on the forum stuff a bit to concentrate on some family stuff. It's all good, I hope. Ran a 10.1 mile hilly tempo run on Saturday (7:55 avg), then 16.5 too-fast long run miles on Sunday (8:08 avg), 4.5 easy on Monday and another 9.1 tempo-ish run last night (8:05 avg, but the middle miles were mostly under 8). Having fun, feeling good and loving the weather we've been having. I might take a rest day on Friday, but if the weather holds, WTH I might run then, too. Tonight's plan is 10+ miles after work, and I'll try to keep the pace a bit slower. Really.

Evan, your schedule makes me want to take a nap, I don't know how you do it!  Glad everything is ok with you and that you're back.

Last year the 3mi time I submitted to try to qualify for this corporate thing was 22:30 (7:30 pace).  Now I do 7mi training runs at that pace. 

I timed 20:45 (6:55 pace) over 3mi. 

That's a decent improvement over a year, I've really suprised myself.  It seems my trusty excel spreadsheet with planned speed improvements (over a long period of time) has paid off. 

My back hurt pretty bad the day after my run/pt and a few days afterwards. Ive spent a week off, and shall try again tomorrow.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Last year the 3mi time I submitted to try to qualify for this corporate thing was 22:30 (7:30 pace).  Now I do 7mi training runs at that pace. 

I timed 20:45 (6:55 pace) over 3mi. 

That's a decent improvement over a year, I've really suprised myself.

It's a huge improvement over a year.

Hi, Erika!!!

Nice run, gen -- fast!

Sorry, Murph

theyapper

On the road again...

So Paul is tapering? Hold on, get ready for the river of self-doubt and intrepidation! Smile  Seriously, I'm sure you'll do fine. You've had some really good runs this training cycle, it's been fun to watch.

No tapering, just the self-doubt and intrepidation that comes with it.  I hope National goes as well as I thought it would a month ago. Undecided

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

aww c'mon Paul. You'll do fine, I'm sure. 

Ok, you guys need to refresh my memory. National is a 10 miler? HM? I really don't recall. 

Ran 10.6 miles tonight. Goal was to do yesterday's route plus a little more, and slow it way down. Well, first part went as planned. Overall average pace was 8:08, so that part didn't go so well. So... if you consistently run faster than planned, and all the runs feel pretty good and you don't get hurt, what does that mean? That you need to re-evaluate your paces? As Lou knows, I ask this all the time. I never seem to figure out what to do.

I have read it's best to run really slow to recover, and to let the body heal before the next quality workout (tempo or intervals).  The quality workouts help you get faster.  But I am doing the recovery part but no quality workouts Sad

National has a half and a marathon.  I think Paul and Kim are running the marathon.  Harriet and I are running the half.  Tramps will be there also, running the marathon (and his wife, too!)

Rest day for me today, first day off in three weeks.  Good day to do it as it's supposed to be pouring out, although it wasn't coming down too hard when I poked my head out earlier.

Happy Camper

I would check the heart rate monitor.  If the faster runs aren't done with a higher than normal average heart rate for you, I think it indicates an adaptation.  Otherwise, I think it is working for you.  Keep going for it.  I think you're more likely to get tired and slow down if there hasn't been an adaptation than to get hurt.  You have a fantastic, quality workout base that will help shield you from injury.

I'm sure having a hard time getting out the door this morning. Undecided

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

No marathon for me at Nationals.  I'm doing the half, but I'm freaking more about this than either of the marathons I've run because I actually have some time goals that I hope to meet and so when I run an easy run that feels anything but easy, it messes with my brain.

Fun times.

I'm pretty sure Kim's running the half as well.  She's going to beat me.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul