Marathon Trainers

postponing my marathon (Read 186 times)

Kimmie

just wondering what your opinions are about this... I could post this out on the main boards but I'd thought I'd try here first. As you know, I've got bronchitis, on antibiotics and the Doc said 10 days off from running, which seems a little extreme to me, but what do i know? (10 days from this past Wed.) i want to reassess and see how I feel in a couple more days. I feel a lot better already. But, this will greatly affect my training as this weekend was supposed to be my 20 + miler. Even if I feel like I can run on Saturday or Sunday, I'm not sure I should be running 20 miles after being sick. I've got three weeks left. I think, no matter what, I should be able to run the marathon on Feb. 14th- but maybe my time goal will have to be adjusted. what would you do if you were me? I want to be smart and my health is my priority but I know you guys understand how badly I wanted to run this marathon and do well. It was going to be like a family vacation too- three days in Myrtle Beach with my cousin and aunt and uncle. One last option: my cousin runs slower than I do- I know last year he ran Myrtle Beach in the 5 hour span. Maybe I could just plan on accompanying him. Sorry if this sounds whiney..... you guys are always great at encouraging. I guess I just need to keep hope alive. Smile This came about when my neighbor, who's a runner, told me I should postpone this race. My cough, by the way, is gone. Thanks for the feedback.

Oh Mighty Wing

this is in no way whining. here is the thing I try to remember - your training isn't build on a week or 10 days for that matter. It is build over the months and even years you have been running. I think you should definitely race the race, go for your goal and if during the race you are finding it's not going to happen then readjust your goal. YOU WILL DO GREAT!!!! MTA: i agree with skipping the 20.

Dave

Kimmie, I know this has got to be frustrating for you. Seems to be that getting sick one of the real risks of signing up for these early spring/late winter marathons. I would caution against trying to get in that last 20 miler given the guidance from your Doctor. I believe that those long runs do weaken you and would make you susceptible to getting more sick and prolonging your recovery. Having said that, 10 days is a long time and if you feel better after 5 or 6 days, it might be worth a few short easy runs to see how you feel. I think you have a range of options. I might be tempted to run it as a long training run (either with your cousin or closer to a 4:30 pace) and then find another marathon maybe in April or May to go for your goal pace. I don't think I'd force the issue and try to get that 20+ in so soon.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

Kimmie, I know this has got to be frustrating for you. Seems to be that getting sick one of the real risks of signing up for these early spring/late winter marathons. I would caution against trying to get in that last 20 miler given the guidance from your Doctor. I believe that those long runs do weaken you and would make you susceptible to getting more sick and prolonging your recovery. Having said that, 10 days is a long time and if you feel better after 5 or 6 days, it might be worth a few short easy runs to see how you feel. I think you have a range of options. I might be tempted to run it as a long training run (either with your cousin or closer to a 4:30 pace) and then find another marathon maybe in April or May to go for your goal pace. I don't think I'd force the issue and try to get that 20+ in so soon.
          I gotta agree with Dave here, he's got some good advice. While 10 days is a long time off, you still have a huge aerobic base behind you. You'll lose a little bit of that edge, but you should be ok to run the race, just not run the race at peak performance. I say skip the 20, no sense making it worse, and see how things go after that.
            I THIRD this!! Glad to hear your cough is gone!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

thanks you all... This is all great advice and I am still thinking about how to play it. all the marathons I've run, I've never been sick three weeks out.

Bugs

I think you know better than we do. It's not just coughing, but do you have your strength back? Be honest with yoursef on how you feel is more important than what doc said because I think our bodies if we listen know way more than the docs. I've missed a marathon due to injury (not illness) and it sucks but we all make it out to be a bigger deal than it is. Life is full of reschedules, you will run it another day if you decide that. I still think you could run it pretty strong, if your feeling better by the end of the week.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Bronchitis can return with a vengence. Winter time and cold air doesn't do it any favors. I would work with the Dr., get well and target another race. You aren't just getting over a cold. Reaching the point where you need the inhaler is not fun.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

I'm not ignoring this thread -- I just don't have anything useful to say. You know how you feel so the decision will have to be your own. You'll figure it out.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Thanks you guys. P2r- you sound like you've had some experience with this. I talked to my running coach and he said I should be fine to run before the 10 days is up if I feel better. I just need to pay attention to how I feel. And I think I will just run short on the treadmill at the gym to begin with. i've always been a huge proponent of running outside, no matter what... but I guess I just don't understand exactly what's happening to your lungs when you run outside in cold weather. I was frustrated that I missed a gorgeous day of running yesterday- it was 55! Shocked And I do have a back up plan.... I can't believe I'm saying this, but if things don't go well at Myrtle Beach, then I think I will run the National marathon- the full, not the half... Ah!!! Smile Dave, you may have heard that miles 14-26 are brutally hilly there.... which is a far cry from flat at the beach. I just have to hope that it doesn't fill up too quickly. But onward and hopeful... Smile I'm trying my darndest to do everything right: plenty of sleep, not too much exertion ( DH will be takng the wallpaper off the bathroom walls today, not me) no alcohol... I even went to book club last night and didn't consume ANY wine with my friends... plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, water, gatorade, vitamins and anything else I can think of!

Dave

I think I will run the National marathon- the full, not the half... Ah!!! Smile Dave, you may have heard that miles 14-26 are brutally hilly there.... which is a far cry from flat at the beach. I just have to hope that it doesn't fill up too quickly.
                        If you're talking about the National course, the elevation map is here: http://www.nationalmarathon.com/images/maps_08/elevation_new08.jpg Looks like one good hill just before mile 14, then flat until 23/24 when there's another modest hill. The "big" hill is miles 4-6 in the first half. I've heard National is filling up though. It usually doesn't sell out but who knows. MTA: Are you talking about Frederick? I've heard that one is tough.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Hey- I just looked at the elevation map for National and I remembered that they changed the course. So yes, it's not that hilly.... It used to go through Maryland more. My friend ran the full two years ago and she said it was brutal. so, maybe they changed it because of complaints. I won't run Frederick no matter what. I ran that last year as part of a relay team... so tough.... I just ran miles 13-22 and it was extremely hilly, in my opinion. I can't imagine running 26.2 miles of it. Plus, I wouldn't want to wait until May to run a marathon. How's your knee? I think I will post on the main boards if anyone knows how long before National fills up. I may email the race director and ask if I can register for the half and then switch to the full. Or I may just suck it up and register for the full now.
                            I don't know -- you might have better luck registering for the full and doing the half if necessary. I'm interested in what the race director says. Frederick was my first marathon, but the course is different now. Those 13-22 miles or so now I think are the toughest -- we live pretty close to there. My wife runs those hills for her long run generally -- I avoid them, but do sometimes run from mile 16-18 for mine. I wanted to run this after Boston to get MM status -- but we're going to be out of town Sad

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Your wife is awesome. I can't remember exactly what mile it was, but last year we were heading up this MAJOR hill and there was a girl who ran up and down a portion of it, yelling at us to get up that hill. It was funny in a Marine yelling at you kind of way...

Happy Camper

Kimmie: You'll recover just fine. There's different levels of bronchitis. Having had worse than the simple for I would avoid developing the stronger, longer lasting version. I use to smoke. Struggling to breathe just drains everything, all the time. You don't want it to be long term or go chronic. It takes forever to get over. Being run down becomes a lifestyle. You sleep and get no rest. Get yourself well.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.