Marathon Trainers

9/15-9/21 (Read 307 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning all! I did three easy miles on Saturday. Looks like the achilles is going to be fine. it was a little sore off and on during the run, but it would fade and then come back, but never bad. I didn't run yesterday. I'm gonna run a bit during lunch today. I think it'll be well enough for a tempo run this week, but I'm going to stick to easy runs this week. I'll catch up later.
    evanflein

Not much going on here. Just more crappy weather. What happened to our sun and dry weather? Looks like we used up all our "weather credits" around here. Shoot. I just want a few days of sunny dry conditions before Saturday. After Saturday at noon it can do whatever the hell it wants. Can't believe in a week I'll be done with it and done with my presentation at my conference in MD. This is going to be a crazy, stressful week. Yesterday I ran the last 10.3 miles of the Equinox course. I was checking for mud, puddles, streams and slick leaf-on-rooty-ground conditions. Actually, the course (yesterday) was in pretty good shape. I know where the bad spots are (or were), but we got rain last night and drizzle and fog today. Can handle a little of that crap but not much... I break this race into sections, all of which I've covered in training runs. When I think of adding them all together, I add more time to the sections because doing the last 9.2 miles on a training run is totally different from doing it after the first 17 miles! So, for anyone who's interested... here's my plan. (oh, and to put things in perspective, here's the course profile) Miles 1 to 8, finish in 1:15 (best training run time was 1:12) Miles 8 to 12.5, finish in :50 (best training run was :46... this goal may be ambitious) Miles 12.5 to 17.1, finish in :50 (best training run was :44... this one could also be a stretch) Miles 17.1 to 26.2, finish in 1:15 (yesterday's time for this section was 1:13) That is a total of 4:10, and my goal time is 4:15, so I am giving myself some "cushion." But not much. And I'm not taking into consideration slowing for sore foot issues, cramping, slipping/falling, etc. So I better not have any of that nonsense. We'll see how it goes. My first goal for this race is always finish happy and healthy. Second goal will be to set a course PR (anything better than 4:26 which was my first effort's time), and that 4:15 is the lofty goal.

Bugs

Inertia, Glad you are feeling better. Erika, Your ability to run on the course is very nice. I've never 'really' had that option. Your organization on running the different parts is very impresive. Those hills scare the crap out of me, but your tough, you can bound right over those babies. My feet and ankles are feeling better today. I think some of it is the start of tapering aches and pains. I will be a whole different relaxed person after my last LR is in the books tomorrow. I have never ran 20 miles in the evening, makes me nervous.

Bugs

Bugs

I went to local shoe store running club tonight, I won a Nike Sportsband. Some instructions with it would be nice. This is a 2nd recent win, almost said to pick somebody else, but didn't.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Mr. I - glad your achilles is feeling a little better! Erika - your plan sounds smart. I hope it goes really well for you! Bugs - I'm sure you LR will go great!! Just think positive!! Ok so right now my desire to run is tied directly to the air. It's been humid and muggy the last couple of days and so I haven't run. But my desire is back somewhat so that's a good sign!! PS I really have no desire to go to school. Yesterday a small bomb went off in a garage in town AND at the end of the school day they found a bomb threat in one of the boys bathrooms. I'm normally not one to give into fear but I have to say this is a little freaky.

Dave

Erika, that is some race profile. Shocked I don't even think the last 10 would be easy. Do you find the downhills hard on your quads, particularly after the early miles? I think a course PR is the only way to measure success on that race. How could you compare a time on that course with anything else? Bugs, if I'm not mistaken, the sportsband is sort of like the nike+ ipod running tracker but without the ipod? Sort of a cool gadget. There's an FAQ here: https://nikerunning.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikerunning.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php My knees are still complaining about my long run on Sunday. I did 5 easy yesterday and they felt all right but they are still sore. Overall, though, I just felt really weary. Tired. Good night's sleep last night and a steak dinner have left me feeling reenergized today. Gorgeous weather today (Shan, I know you've got it too Wink ). I'd love to get at least 6 in and my work schedule is looking good for it. I'll probably go anyway and see how I feel. Shan, I know its easy to be unsettled by that kind of thing at the school. Just try and remember that the odds of anything happening are unthinkably low. Don't let the little shiteheads win Tongue

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Shan, That is a little scary, but you're probably get safe now because of all the precautions taken now. Dgb, Thanks for the FAQ. I had looked a little last night but Internet was slow. I think I will like to run with it on races where I feel the garmin is too much. I'd like to see afterwards what my splits were though. Today was a rare day where we were up early enough for the kids to ride bus, waited waited no bus, called bus company, 2 hour planned late start so there was no buses. Ugh. Stupid. I really need to be more organized. I wanted to be at work early to leave work early for my LR. Might just have to take vacation because I want to log this run so very badly.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - can you "work from home"? Thanks for the confidence boosters. Seems everything is fine so far. And guess what!??! I am excited about running after school today. So let's hope that stays throughout the day.

Bugs

Dgb, I think the Nike SportsBand is just a band that records pace and distance, but it is more of a guess than a garmin is, but it was free. Can't really work from home. My Internet is slow. I have never really believed that people got anything done when working at hom, course I come here and browse on fast Internet. Seemed hot outside when I dropped off my water. Oh well, will be snowing before I know it so my as well get a tan.

Bugs

Bugs

80F outside. Angry

Bugs

evanflein

80F!! Wow... we're probably barely at 50 today. Yep, just checked and it's 48F and cloudy. Sun peeking thru every now and then. Good luck on the run, Bugs. That sucks about the school buses. You sound like me though... the one time we were early to church (several years ago) was when we forgot about daylight savings time. Thought we were late, and nobody was there. Went for coffee, came back right on time! Too bad I can only count on that once a year. Dave, a course PR is what I'm after. The 4:15 is my "pie in the sky" goal. It's not a Boston Qualifying course. In fact, they say right on the web site to add 30 minutes to your average "flat land" marathon to get an idea of your Equinox time. Shan, hope your running urge holds up thru the day. I'd think it'd be a wonderful stress reliever after being cooped up with crazy kids all day. Ok... did my 30 minutes of pool running last night after work. Brought my running stuff to work today. Trying to decide if I should go out for 3 easy miles, or just go back to the pool tonight... I know that those three miles won't matter diddly on race day, and another day in the pool will be very good for my foot (which feels ok today). So.... teetering on the brink of indecision here... 20 minutes till lunchtime...

Oh Mighty Wing

Phew it's gonna be a LONG road back. 1 and change that went fast... didn't mean to go that fast - my legs feel good. The rest of me was in shock and wasn't happy.
                            Well, I joined the gym at work today to start getting my runs done over lunch and absolutely loved it. Wasn't really possible most of the summer because it's crazy hot at noon, but lower 70s and dry today. Ran with a coworker who is trying to get back in shape, which was fun. Kept my run nice and slow, which is fine by me. I'm not at all used to running with anyone, so it was a nice change.

Bugs

Erika, It's not my fault I have CRS diesase. (Can't Remember Sh!t) Brian, Running on your lunch hour rules. I confess I don't shower afterwards, only change but I sit in my cub all day anyway. My run was NOT great. First three miles my shins were really tight. I had to stop, stretch, and just walk a bit till they warmed up. Not been a problem all week so why tonight? Then I had to head to the woods a few times, and it was hot. By mile 10 my calves were tight and I knew I had to finish this run on tired legs. They just really never loosened up. So it was a slow run but felt very easy. Then right at the end my stomach got really sick. Even though I still wanted to vomit I did my best to take an ice bath. I think the tummy problems were from too much poweraide. I was burping it at one time, and think I need to mix it with water in the race. I mostly take cliff shots, but hard to get in enough calories that way. Just 20 miles tonight, I could not make it to even 21. Sad Time 3:13. Pretty slow, but it's about time on your feet right and there are benifits to doing a training run on tired legs. Just more fun when you get to come back and post how great was. I am officially tappering.

Bugs

Dave

Well, I joined the gym at work today to start getting my runs done over lunch and absolutely loved it.
                                I love my midday runs. The Pentagon, has an unbelievable facility in it (lap pool, indoor running track, ...) and outside access for running on the national mall. Because I'm military (as opposed to a civilian or contractor employee of which there are many), my leadership expects me to workout if my schedule allows it. And shower afterwards. Ewww (Bugs). Oddly enough, they do charge us for membership at the facility but it's free for enlisted soldiers and the fee is pretty cheap. Unfortunately, today my schedule didn't allow it. Probably needed the day off anyway. FWIW, if any of you guys come into DC and want to get into the Pentagon for a tour, I can arrange it. At least until I move next summer.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com