Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/11 - 2/17 (Read 227 times)

Happy Camper

Cool! Now the thread matches my running log. Monday - Sunday.m Big grin No run Sunday. Too much afterglow from Saturday. Felt like I was over-reaching. Went to bed at 7:30 last night and still felt it this morning. Didn't really get the turnover this morning so ended up with 10 & change at mostly easy pase. 10°F and a little wind didn't help the turnover either. Came in a with iced over gear as the wind was out of the east and that is how the last 5 miles mostly finishes. Murph: Way to get the run in. I was not disappointed by good weather skipping yesterdays run. Bugs: Did you get your new shoes? Mine got here Friday just in time. The retired pair had over 600 miles on them. It is getting $$$ buying shoes every other month. They are dropping the Kayano 13's and I haven't researched how the 14's are supposed to be better yet. Wish I had the $$$ to have purchased 2 pairs this time. Got these for $92.00 ShanHas: Hope the knee gets better. Are you able to x-train much with it? dgb2n: How was the running last week? MrI: Hope the trip is someplace warm.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

P2R - Blowing snow kept me home, but I can't wait to go. I have worn the Kayano's and like them, but they loose their cushioning faster than the Brooks, but my Brooks Trance are too heavy. They are actually recommended for overweight runners. Is that me? Undecided Don't think so. Shan - The deep massage can bruise, my new chiro has not bruised me, but the old one beat me up bad. Biggest factor for me is that he treats the entire kinetics, not just wear it hurts. Think you should do some XTing, really it's not all bad. You don't want to loose all your conditioning.

Bugs

Well, the weather is definitely taking a turn for the worse around here. Freezing rain most days this week. Dad's supposed to come to town this weekend and run a 10k with me, we'll see if the weather guys are right. Hopefully they'll be off and we'll get some nice weather. 4 recover miles yesterday, today is a rest day. ShanHas, sorry to hear about the knee. Hope you're up and running soon.

Bugs

Shan, Forgot to ask, does PT having you do any exercises? Right now I have to do towel pulls, toe lifts, and wall push-ups else something starts hurting. Kind of a drag, but it's keeping me going. Husker, running with your Dad - VERY cool. Enjoy it! I have a 4 mile race on Saturday, but it is also the last day of biking class. Cash, what would you do? 30 min biking slow, or ditch the class?

Bugs

Dave

I ended the week last week on Thursday with what turned out to be my fastest run in recent memory, 5 miles in just over 36 minutes. 25 miles for the week. Better but putting me more and more behind the 1500 mile pace bunny. I was ran to the car dealership to pick up my wife's car after a repair. Shop closed at 6PM and I made it by 5 minutes. Strange motivation but it worked. Since we were out of town over the weekend for my DM (darling mother?)'s birthday party, I wasn't able to get any miles in after that. Started to have a bit of a cold so I took today off too. On the shoe front, I bought two more pairs of the Cumulus for about $38 each. I'm only getting about half of your mileage on them, P2R, so I load up when the price is right. Of course I'm only running about half your mileage so you're still buying a lot of shoes Wink Sounds like you're smart to back off a bit, particularly considering the weather. I struggle to push myself out the door in anything under 20F.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

Well another difficult weather day here. 69 degrees, sun out mild breeze. California is tough running. 17 mle brick ride followed my 1 mile brick run. Think I need to find some sunscreen. Erika, you must have quads of steel. Couldnt tell in your pant suit the other night. But for me the run down hurts me more the next day than the run up. Uphill is slow and downhill is fast and fun. But the hammys don't hurt the next day, the quads do.

Oh Mighty Wing

Pace - 10 miles while feeling tired is still impressive! But don't overdue it! If you are feeling worn down a little rest won't hurt. Bugs - went to the gym tonight. Tried the eliptical - it hurt my knee (which it does even when my knee already doesn't hurt - must make it move funny or something). Tried the rower which was nice, but without music my motivation was shot. Put my feet on either side of a ball and squeezed the ball with all my might - that worked my inner legs well. Don't want to overdue anything till I go to the doc. Might go back tomorrow night and try the bike - we'll see. That was the only one she gave me and honestly i'm not sure i'm doing it the way she said to but i definitely felt it. Husker - that is fun that you get to run with your dad!! Dave - 5 miles 36 minutes?!?!? wow you're fast! How long do you go mileage wise before buying shoes?

Bugs

This guy at the gym said he put 5,000 miles on one pair of shoes! There is no wear on my shoes, none. They look like new on the bottom. They start to loose cushioning, I will start feeling a little side knee pain and I know it's time for new shoes. But, I'd think the Brooks Trance is too much, too stiff, too built up in the heal, strains my calfs and achillis. I'm think maybe it is also not good to wear the same brand of shoes for all runs, better to switch. Each has their own quirks, and maybe it's better to mix it up. Shan, you were right to stop if it hurt, and not overdue. Find something you enjoy to keep you busy, a short swim (know you had some issues with that), bike, go to the movies. But do stay positive. Dgb, Shoes are cheap. Podiatrist, PITA orthotics are expensive. Cash, it is cold here. Tomorrow I'm going to come run with you and then we are going to eat some fresh ocean fish.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

It seems for me I start to feel the cushioning go about 150. I have that on both of my shoes and my feet feel it after 6/7 miles into it. I was thinking of replacing the insert - maybe that will give my feet a little perk?? unfortunately i have no acess to a pool, my gyms got lots of stuff but not a pool. It does however have a treadmill that goes 30mph... haven't gotten near that thing. Will try a bike tomorrow - maybe the spin bike? And i'm gonna work on tweaking my lifting program so I am more focused in the gym otherwise i just wonder around and play on things.
                    Cashmason

Bugs, We have to introduce you to a west coast thing called Fish Tacos. Thats what it is, a taco with fish instead of meat. Some folks here really love em. You could run down here, but you would prolly be way faster. So we take off on the same path, and agree to meet back at the car in an hour or however long you want to run. Lots of cute guys for you to check out on the beach. Erika's "seals" which are really guys surfing in wetsuits. You may have to deal with smoke from the bar b que pits on the beach though.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash - could only deal with that if they were sharing their food!!! mmmm and yes fish taco's are good in small doses... (tried some in hawaii, we east coasters don't really have them)

Bugs

Guess what! Our VP of sales is giving me 25,000 frequent flyer miles. I'm using them to run a HM somewhere. Where should I go?

Bugs

Dave

My initial response was to say to come to the National HM here in Washington in March. You get to see all the monuments and sights and it isn't that big of a race. Of course the Cherry Blossom 10 miler (sold out) is a better time of year for that. Then I thought a few minutes and figured you'd rather go somewhere warm. How about something in the southwest? Shan, it was fast, at least for me (all things are so relative when it comes to running). I'm convinced that quite a bit of running faster at the longer distances is doing the work (miles) and then trusting yourself at the faster pace and holding on to the end. I'm going to test this theory in a couple of weeks at my upcoming HM. We'll see how it goes. Another unplanned rest day today to make sure this sore throat doesn't develop into anything more serious. And on the shoes, I'm not intentionally going cheap with the Cumulus (although they are cheap). If they weren't comfortable, I wouldn't buy them. I may mix in a pair of the new 2130's since I had such good luck with the 2110's. Easy miles to all. Dave

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Hym, I was to Washington DC once, I liked it, but lots of bad hair days. I think I'd like to see the ocean though. I ran 1 mile barefoot on TM last night, if you have never done this you should. If you wear shoes with a high heel it will stretch your achillis.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - you mean it isn't how you are talking DH into the bahama's in 4 days??? Tongue