Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/11 - 2/17 (Read 227 times)

Bugs, if you liked the Radius but they didn't have enough cusion, you might try the Glycerin. I went from the Pegasus 2006 to the Glycerin and like them much better. My dad went from the Radius to the Glycerin and says the cushion is much better. We're running in the 5, but since the 6 is out, there are a lot of sales to be found on the 5. Just got a pair of Amazon for a pretty good price.
      P2R--thanks for the advice. I dont think Im overstriding. Im fairly conscious of not doing that because Ive had more than the occasional groin pull. I didnt think I was leaning forward, but I'll make a conscious effort and see if that helps. I always thought a more vertical running style would lead to the heal striking. Really the pain is just a bit of an annoyance. My aches and pains were much worse when I wasnt exercising! Got my 8 in today. I had to fight myself to get it in. Ran through the various subdevelopments. I really hate running in the streets, had to jump to the sidewalks through the snow a couple times with people who werent paying attention. Really slogged through but got it in, so Im happy.

Oh Mighty Wing

Check in after sports med doc apt: x-ray looks great! need to go get an MRI his money is on stress fracture or tear in meniscus! Guess it will have ot wait till i'm back from the bahama's!! Guess there will be no half for me huh?
        evanflein

Check in after sports med doc apt: x-ray looks great! need to go get an MRI his money is on stress fracture or tear in meniscus! Guess it will have ot wait till i'm back from the bahama's!! Guess there will be no half for me huh?
          Sad So sorry Shan... Hope you can enjoy your wedding and honeymoon, and come back all rested up.
          Cashmason

Stress fracture may heal faster. 5 easy miles today.

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks guys! Won't know how bad it is till I have my MRI, but that won't be till i get back. So i'm going to focus on having fun and relaxing!! And of course hoping you guys have easy runs.

Bugs

Shan, I have a hard time believing it could be anything so serious. Based on your log it just doesn't seem likely. Reminds me of my frend, last fall he has a stress fracture and ran a marathon THREE weeks later as a pacer. He was afaid if he didn't show they might not ask him to pace the race again. He finished but said it was not pretty. That's NUTS. Does anybody's shoes NOT show wear? It really bumbs me, because I can not figure out if I'm an overpronator or neutral. Good running forum confuses me too. In town we have a Training Facility that is some top knotch trainers from the university. They train university and high school athletes mostly, but help the OCD adult athletes too. I am considering going in for a vdeo analysis to determine biomechanical deficiencies. Then they will pitch their services. I called they said to wait to make sure I am injury free and not compensating for injury.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I thought the same thing! But I guess that's what the MRI is going to prove to me haha. The thing is that when they move my leg all around it doesn't hurt so I think they feel like it HAS to be that you know! My shoes aren't showing wear yet (150 miles i think), but i can feel that they have worn (at least on the inside). And if you feel your form might be leading to your injury's then it's probably worth it. Otherwise i guess it's meant to help you run more efficiently? Is that really helpful? I donno because i've never had it done and consider myself to be too slow for it too matter much...
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Ugh, mixed up schedule, stressful stuff and I'm a bit behind the gun for training this week. Did 4 miles last night, wanted to hammer them out at race pace to relieve some stress (of which I have much) but decided to take it easy. I've got two hard(ish) days back to back today and tomorrow - a 10 miler and a 15 miler. Been looking at Daniels book quite a bit lately. I really like the way he handles tempo running. Almost all of his tempo work is done as cruise intervals; he rarely has you just do X miles at tempo pace. He also has some workouts that incorporate tempo running with your long run - very cool. I might try that tomorrow. He's got a workout that looks something like this: 2 miles easy 4 x (6 @ tempo w/1 min rests) 1 hour easy 20 min tempo 2 miles easy That's approximate, I don't have the book with me. But for me, that's right about a 15 miler. If my legs are feeling up to it, I'm going to give it a shot.
                    evanflein

Wow, it's a blizzard out there! We got some nice warm temps (finally) but huge snowflakes coming down and swirling all around in the wind! We usually don't get much wind, so this drifting stuff is not something I see a lot of. Was really hoping to run outside today after work... but it's supposed to be a rest day anyway so maybe a good thing? Rats. MrInertia, that does sound like a good run, and enough variety to keep it interesting. I look forward to spring/summer with good footing to do runs like that. Right now the outdoor runs are just a lot of work to get through the snow and cold. When you say "4 x 6 @ tempo" you mean 6 minutes, right? With a 1 minute rest? That sounds like a good mix. I find a lot of prescribed intervals have the rest period being too long. Good luck with it. Well, if the snow is going to pile up like this, maybe I'll take this time to try out my new shoes on the treadmill tonight. I tried the new Speedstars on in the living room on the carpet, but just walked around in them. Seems like the right one is a bit short... but really need to get the running socks on and try a short run in them. They do feel very lightweight! Second pair is yet another pair of the Nimbus 9's... Third pair, all the same color (yawn).
                      Travis Groom

Holy crap! It was +4ÂșC today outside and the run was amazing!!! I want spring now!! Please no more cold snaps...Bounding on Wednesday was hard because of some fresh snow (and we lost a person so I spent 20 minutes running around the neighborhood trying to find him thinking he might have gotten hurt...turns out he just went a different way...bastard...) Bugs, I'll second the opinion on the Glycerine. I am on my 3rd pair of them right now and will be buying a few more before they sell out and move to the 6 (just in case.) They are a great training shoe. Not much more to say about it, give them a try. There's some good books on running form that you could try reading. Programmed to Run is a great book and full of good information (I used it after I mentally beat myself on a 10-miler run.) There's also Chi Running that is full of some mumbo-jumbo (unless you are into that stuff, which I found it very interesting actually) but the form talks are great in it. I constantly battle with form and get yelled at when I get tired because my heels tend to shuffle on the ground when I get tired, which uses more energy but for some reason feels sooooo goood.
                          I have a cold. Started feeling it Thursday night. I guess it would be smartest to stay inside and do any workouts on the eliptical..Really want to go outside and run though..Big miles were scheduled for this weekend. Ughhh.

Happy Camper

Murph: Take it easy and stay well. groov: You've earned warmer weather for sure. Long run on rail trail. First 10-miles in 1:26:48. Tried to do part of the second loop as a progression beginning at mile 17 but slowed down at mile 19. Finished the 20.54-miles in 3:08:40. for a 9:11mm average. 3:50 Marathon requires 8:47mm average. I'm not there yet. Don't know how much taper as well as course support would help the effort. 50 days out so I still have some work to do. Signed up for a 1/2 on March 22 so I'll have a good fitness test with time to recover.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Angry I bombed a race today. It was a heavy stressful week at work, ate crap, couldn't sleep, messed up running schedule, and 1 hour easy bike before the run. 4 mile 35:01, hilly course windy, but I run hill course all week long and can beat that time. The biking, perhaps a bad idea. Next Saturday is a 5K, we'll see if it was just a bad day or my tush i out of shape. Our furnace is broken, won't be fixed till Monday. I am freezing with just the two fireplaces going, everybody else seems fine with 50F.

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, last year on my big PR attempt, I was my own worst enemy because I biked to work in the wind the day before.... and back home. Stupid idea. My legs were like rubber (first bike ride of the year, too!). Then, we were late and I shortchanged my warm up. Ended up doing about the same time as on the earlier icy, hilly course. So yes, the bike was probably not your best idea. You'll do better on the 5k... just learn from the stuff that didn't work!! (I'm really out to better that time this year....) No run for me yesterday. I actually took a scheduled rest day as planned. Not sure how that happened... Waiting for it to warm up a bit before I head out for my 9 or so today. I'll stay close to home and start with the hilly road, then go down the bikepath which I noticed was plowed yesterday (yeah!). If I repeat a couple of sections, I should be able to get 9 out of it (the hilly road route is 3.1, the bikepath roundtrip is 4.5... just need to backtrack a bit somewhere). Groov, yeah on above freezing temps! I'd hardly know what to do with myself. It's zero F now, waiting to see a little above before I head out but this is about the warmest I've run in ages so might just go soon. Tomorrow I think I'll try for my 19 or 20 instead of the 12. Switch weeks, so I can have a mini-taper before the relay! Have a good weekend, everyone! It's looking pretty good around here! ETA: just back from 9 miles of hills in temps ranging from zero to -5 or so at the bottom of the hill. Slight wind on the uphill trip made it just that much harder. Legs were tired today, don't know why after yesterday's nice rest day. They obviously didn't appreciate it! Angry