Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/12 (Read 246 times)

Hi, Jeremy.  She got nausea from the anesthetic?  I finally got a chance to look at the link you sent about her surgery the other week -- looks pretty invasive.  How long before everything heals?  What were her symptoms which required this?  (sorry if you already said -- I missed it if so)

Still tapering for Newport this weekend

7.1 miles, 1:01:02, 8:36/mi, AHR 143 (73% MHR)

3@8:59(134), 2@7:59(152), 2.10@8:37(145)

Some minor discomfort in adductor and down inside thigh I'm trying to ignore.  Doesn't bother me too much for these short runs so hopefully it won't be an issue on Sunday.

Nice pace, Kim! 

Keep posting, Dave -- we miss you when you go quiet.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

This morning's run:

1. got stood up

2. fell (I'm ok)

3. took a wrong turn

got it done though.

Just when things look like they're going to even out and I'll hve time to hang out with the coolest bunch of runners ever, things start getting wiggy again. Gonna be sparse here for some time. I'll be thinking of you folks and hope to be able to hang out here more consistently down the road a bit.

Things are stressful and difficult right now. Prayers and good vibes are most welcome.

Dave

Glad to hear everyone's getting out and getting miles in, even Dave!

Geeze, thanks .  I'm now the new team poster child for being a slug .  Hope your wife feels better.

Great marathon, Erika.  Sounds like new PR's are in your future when you come close without the focus of a goal race.

Sorry to hear things are tough right now, MrI.  My prayers are with you.

Kim, hope the kids feel better. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

You're in my prayers, Mr. I.  Sorry to hear things haven't really let up for you.

Got in a great 5 miles today well under my normal training pace and still felt easy.  It really is about cooler temps.  Tomorrow is supposed to be an off day but I think I'll squeeze in my 4 mile run from Friday before I hop on a place around 2pm for India.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I hope things get better for you soon, Mr I.  You're in my thoughts.

Hail to The Victors!

Hi, Jeremy.  She got nausea from the anesthetic?  I finally got a chance to look at the link you sent about her surgery the other week -- looks pretty invasive.  How long before everything heals?  What were her symptoms which required this?  (sorry if you already said -- I missed it if so)

She has cartilage damage on her inside compartment of her knee that's been bugging her since about 18 or so.  It's gotten so bad that she has problems walking on it all day, and even though an unloading brace helps, its very uncomfortable to wear.  We've tried a couple of minor procedures in the past, like microfracture and some other things to try to fix it, but it's been pretty resistant to treatment.  The cool thing about this is that it's simple physics--moving the weight load of her body from the inner compartment of her knee (she's bowlegged on her right side), to the outside/middle of her knee where it should be.  It's got a 95% success rate (and those are usually idiots who try to get back on their feet too fast, or smoke during recovery). 

She's back at home now, but we're looking at 6 weeks before she can put weight on it, and about 12 weeks total on crutches.  It's one of those procedures that's worse than breaking your leg, because when you do that, at least they line things back up again, here, there's a 11 millimeter wedge to fill in with bone before she is healed.  Long haul...

Hail to The Victors!

This morning's run:

1. got stood up

2. fell (I'm ok)

3. took a wrong turn

got it done though.

Just when things look like they're going to even out and I'll hve time to hang out with the coolest bunch of runners ever, things start getting wiggy again. Gonna be sparse here for some time. I'll be thinking of you folks and hope to be able to hang out here more consistently down the road a bit.

Things are stressful and difficult right now. Prayers and good vibes are most welcome.

Thinking good thoughts for you, Mr I.

evanflein

Jeremy... ouch. Be extra good to her because she's been through a ringer.

{{Mr. I}} We're thinking of you, come back and post when you can.

Hi slacker poster-child Dave!

Have a good trip Paul! Good idea to get your run in first, that's gonna be a long flight.

Lou I hope that inner leg twingey thingy is nothing... Take care and hope Newport goes well for you and PDR.

Nice running last night, Kimmie! Sounds like a good group for you, even if the timing is a little hard to make work.

I haven't run at all since the marathon, which feels like forever ago... but it was just Sunday. I feel good and would love to go running but I've been swamped. Gave up a pool run last night to go shopping (the boys called saying "we have no food in the house!!"), then make dinner, do laundry, finish unpacking, and finally finish taxes (eek, I know very late) that I'll take in today. We've already paid our estimate, so this is just finishing things up. I hope to RAW today, but we'll see what happens.

Kinda nice to be "schedule free" for awhile, although I'm sure it'll drive me nuts pretty soon.

Ringmaster

Hey, everyone.

Mr. I, I'll be praying for you. I am intensely craving prayers myself, so I can relate and will pray for peace and calm for you even as I pray for myself.

Pam and Erika, thanks for sharing about your races. I'll chase down Maniac status some day myself. For now, I am almost constantly amazed at how *busy* I am this year. I only have two kids, and they're not involved in very much after school. I'm supposed to be a stay-at-home mom, and yet I'm barely ever home! I've got laundry piling up, haven't mopped in over a week, and my home-cooked meals are laughable. Which explains why my running's lousy--it's sleep, then training that always get shoved on the back burner.

The heat might be playing with me, too--I ran yesterday evening, when it's not as humid as my usual pre-dawn training time, and I noticed that though I was running easy, my pace was much faster. And my resting heartrate is now just 48bpm--before I started running two years ago, it was 72 to 80. It's good to see these improvements, though I suspect my half PR will remain standing after my race in November.

Jeremy, thanks for telling us more about your wife's surgery. I hope recovery is as easy as possible. I have a niece who had metal rods inserted in both legs to try to reverse some curvature . . . the resulting physical therapy has been pretty intense. I'll be thinking of both of you as you navigate this time.

It's fun to hear of you guys getting your races in, even though mine is still so far out, or maybe *because* mine is still so far out. They tell us a cold front is coming in this weekend and that by Saturday morning some locations may see temps in the 60s. THE 60s! I'm not holding my breath, but . . . wow.

Be safe out there.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Pam: Wow, glad you didn't see Ken and walk off the course, and glad you came out with such a great attitude after such physical challenges -- congratulations.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

You ran a great race, Erika, and beautiful pictures!  (I think I had just awakened when you posted this!)

Still tapering...

5.1 miles, 46:04, 9:05/mi, AHR 137 (70% MHR)

Adductor might be a bit better.  Resting tomorrow will help as well (even tho it's a long drive to Newport)

Kimmie

Erika,

Love your race report!!   That is so awesome that your time was so great and I really loved being able to see video too!

So cool.

Jeremy- hope today is a good day for your wife.

Mr. I- hang in there-  also sending prayers your way.   When life is stressful, it can be hard to continue running, but as you know, it's such a great stress reliever.

VixiDu- keep on keeping on... I'm glad you've joined this group.  You are so positive.

Lou- you're going to rock your marathon.

Well, I've got 11 days until my marathon and I'm a teensy bit discouraged.  Seems like I have too many aches and pains at this point.  Ankle still hurts and now my left shoulder has got something going on.  I looked back at my log last year at this time and I felt great. I remember running Marine Corps last year and the whole time I felt really good.  Just don't have that confidence going in this time, for some reason.   

And running- yesterday was a rest day and today was supposed to be speed work.  It's cold rain here all day and running on a treadmill usually brings up new aches and pains, so I just don't want to... so, maybe no running today again.

Pam, how are you feeling?

Trying to determine a good goal for Marine Corps.  It will have a lot to do with the weather.

Thanks Vix! Will keep you in thoughts and prayers hun! Enjoy the warmer weather Vix cause it's FREEZING here (no not like Erika's weather but still cold). I don't mind cold it's the rain that we are experiencing right now that I HATE. Thankfully it's not freezing rain (yet)

Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way Mr. I and keeping you in prayers!

Great report Erika!

Hope your abductor is better ASAP Lou!!

OMG so am I Perry!! If I HAD quit that is something that I couldn't change and then I'd really be upset with myself.

Hey Kim, just try to relax and enjoy taper time. I have this feeling you are going to ROCK your marathon!  Better the aches and pains now then on race day!

As for me I'm tired. Something about this cold wet dreary weather has a way of making me want to curl up in a blanket and go to sleep. Unfortunately my pup Kallie is hogging most of the couch (sleeping) so no laying down for me. I'm feeling pretty good otherwise. I did have a bit pain in my right hamstring this morning. Thankfully I only had a short run planned and was able to finish it. My garmin turned off right before I turned around to head home.  One of these days I will stop using it so much for my training.

I've got a 5k and a 10 mile race coming up in the next few weeks. I'm hoping to start interval training next week and will run the 5k as a tempo run (running with a friend who's doing her first 5k) 

Oh and I am sooooooooo not ready for winter!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ringmaster

Erika, your race report was FANTASTIC. Seeing the videos was just really made me feel like I was there; thanks for letting us share in the fun and excitement of your race.

Kimmie, I'll be thinking about you as you go into the straightaway for your race. It's funny--I'm going through a bit of the same thing. Last time at this time in my training I felt so strong; I was hitting all my paces and went on to smash my PRs at all distances. Now, I feel tired most of the time, and I've still got a long season ahead. It makes me wonder whether I should rethink my entire calendar, and I still might. You're 11 days out, though. Most of your training is in the bank. I say rest as much as you can--nothing will serve you as well now as rested legs. But I'm a rookie at this, and you should take my advice with a GIGANTIC grain of salt. I'll be thinking of you on my runs. What's your race?

I keep saying I'm going to run Garmin-less one of these days, Pam, but the two weeks he was in the hospital were awful . . . Hope your hamstring feels good on your next run.

Hope the adductor starts behaving, Lou, and that the drive doesn't aggravate it.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile