Marathon Trainers

Week of 3/14/11 (Read 268 times)

evanflein

Hiya, Pam! Good luck on your race this weekend... I'd be a little nervous about it with all the time off, but you've got a monster base so will probably be fine. Hope that neck feels better soon.

My hip was fine by Monday night. I did some easy stretching and some of my PT exercises from my sciatica recovery plan and felt better within hours. Glad to have caught that early. Now that I recognize it and know what to do for it, it's not such a bear to deal with.

Gen, when I say I suck at pacing, I mean I can't really control it. I set out to run "easy" and end up with 8:20 to 8:30. I set out to run recovery and I end up with something in the 8:20 to 8:30 range. I go run hills, and end up with something in the 8:20 to 8:30 range. So, no matter what the original plan is, I end up with what you see there, it seems. In races I go out too fast and I rarely ever have a negative split. I'm a pacing disaster. But fast enough to run a sub-4 marathon without any problem, so I guess it's all ok. I'd love to be able to run like Lou and hit my planned paces more often than not, but oh well.

Last night's run: 5.5 miles on ice and with the 2 mile uphill return home. Figured my legs were tired from weights (squats with 40 lbs... 10% of Bryan's weight!! but I did do 2 sets of 12...) and the ice was really slick so wanted to just do an easy run. Didn't even check Garmin till I downloaded it. Hmmm, what'dya know... 8:21 avg pace. WTH.

this is funny, makes me wonder whether you wear blue shirts on Monday, brown shirts on Tuesday, and eat pork chops every Wed.

That pace is something to brag about.

Dave

3 miles outside after work. Would've gone further but it was my first run with our new dog. He did pretty good. I've heard that I probably shouldn't run with him much until he's a year old though.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

10.5 mile tempo run tonight, although I had a hard time hitting my desired tempo pace (7:55 or so). First few miles were hillier and in the 8 minute range, last few were not so hilly and managed some 7:40's.

8:20

8:15

7:51

8:02

8:01

8:00

7:48

7:50

7:43

7:41

7:44 (last .5 mile)

Legs felt tired, not sure if still from the long run on Sunday or the squats on Tuesday. Whatever, it wasn't easy, and I was almost glad to stop for traffic at all the intersections. The ice out there is still really bad, and I can't see it going anywhere for at least a couple more weeks. 

Cashmason

The ice out there is still really bad, and I can't see it going anywhere for at least a couple more weeks. 

You live in freaking Alaska.  The ice never ever goes away.   Maybe less bad one day a year on August 15th, from noon to 1 pm.

Oh and if you can't see it,  you need glasses....  wink.

Yeah I know you hear too many cold jokes about Alaska.

Still love you hun.

Nice run, Erika!  Daylight is getting longer and longer -- hopefully the sun will melt that ice.

3 easy miles for me this morning.  I was sleeping hard when the alarm went off at 4:30, even though that is "sleeping in" for me.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

That was a great run, Erika.

9.5 easy miles this morning.  One of those awesome pre-dawn runs where you stretch it as long as time will allow because it feels so good.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

7:48

7:50

7:43

7:41

7:44 (last .5 mile) 

You're not kidding that was a great run.  These splits in particularly made me jealous Big grin.

Great run for you too Paul.  Sounds like you're really hitting your stride for you HM.

It is a beautiful day today in Detroit (the day, not the view).  Should be in the 60's and I've got gear to run outside.  Hoping I can peel myself away from the desk later.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

yesterday was the first day in a long time that the heater was not on and the doors were open.  Still, I prepared myself for the treadmill, which is a bad habit.  I forced myself to go outside, as I still need to learn how to pace myself again (like learning to walk), not to mention remember what hills and wind resistence is like.  For 6 miles (partly hilly) I was going from 7:42 to 7:58.  7:49 average pace. 

Where's Murphy?

Dave

If he doesn't come back soon we're going to have to ask "Who's Murphy?"

4.5 for me today outside in the sunshine.  Went with a couple of guys from work that I don't normally run with.  Averaged 8:30 but most miles were down around 8:20-8:25.

Painful.  Got a little crampy and it reminded me just how out of shape I am.  But at least I got out there.

7:49 is smokin, Gen.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I did a 7mi tempo run today, trying to get faster so alternated between 7:19 and 7:30, overall pace 7:24.  Bit faster than last week, every little bit helps.

Nice pace aussiegirl and good for you to get outside.

Dave, keep it up -- you'll be smokin' those guys in no time.

I did 10 easy this morning.  I have a race tomorrow, and 20 on Sunday.  The race is making me nervous about the long run.  I'll probably just do the long one nice and slow.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Remember me telling you a couple of weeks ago that there was a corporate challenge I tried to get in last year, but I didn't qualify with my 22-something 3mi time and I was used as a reserve?  Then I said that that race was one of my motivators to sticking with a plan on improving my speed.  Well I just bumped out last year's 2nd place qualifier and now I'm running!  I went from about 22:30 a year ago to less than 21

Black eye

theyapper

On the road again...

We should call you Awesome Aussie.  Congrats!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Gen that's a terrific time for you! You deserve to be on that team, for sure. I worked for years to get my 5k time under 22 minutes and finally did last year.

I don't usually run much on Fridays, but took advantage of the day off, the brilliant sunshine and temps almost up to 30 to get my Saturday run in. Ended up with 11 miles with plenty of tempo pace and effort (the effort comes in where the terrain is a bit hilly for holding true tempo pace, but I sure worked at it).

8:17

7:56

8:24 (big hill, one of my better times up this hill!)

7:47

7:53

7:56

8:06

8:31 (ok, this would've been faster, but stopped to talk to a couple who'd pulled over to warn me about moose ahead on the road and didn't stop my Garmin, oops)

7:45

8:13

8:15 (these last two miles are the uphill miles back to home)

I'm pretty happy with this especially considering the hills and the ice out there. A few more days like today though, and I'm hoping that ice is on it's way out! And with the deep snow getting compressed a bit, the moose are hanging around on the roads so something else to watch out for.

So... tomorrow I'll run an easy 5 or so which is what I'd normally do if I ran on a Friday...